Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Aug 23, 2023 at 2:50 AM Post #138 of 2,990
I heard these briefly for a few minutes. Unfortunately, they were slightly underpowered, so I don't think the bass performance was where it can be.
They felt comfortable with spacious earcups and light weight.

What struck me first was how spacious and how natural they sound. Very open upper frequencies with lifelike tonality and good balance. I wish I had a chance to plug them in something more serious than the upcoming (otherwise very nice) JDS/ZMF amp as I had to turn the volume to the max. I would have loved to hear its real bass performance, but from this amp it just felt a bit on the softer side.

Still my impression was that this level of sound quality at the $2K intended price point will be a big hit. The level of spaciousness felt unique and the natural sound rivals with headphones around $3K-$4k.

The Caldera in comparison sounds more energetic, more focused with a slightly smaller stage and perhaps a little more resolution but take this with a pinch of salt as I literally only had a few limited minutes with the Tungsten and the amp pairing was not the most ideal.

I also like this colour. :)

PXL_20230819_134110965.jpg

Aug 23, 2023 at 8:47 PM Post #139 of 2,990
I heard these briefly for a few minutes. Unfortunately, they were slightly underpowered, so I don't think the bass performance was where it can be.

What struck me first was how spacious and how natural they sound. Very open upper frequencies with lifelike tonality and good balance. I wish I had a chance to plug them in something more serious than the upcoming (otherwise very nice) JDS/ZMF amp as I had to turn the volume to the max. I would have loved to hear its real bass performance, but from this amp it just felt a bit on the softer side.

Still my impression was that this level of sound quality at the $2K intended price point will be a big hit. The level of spaciousness felt unique and the natural sound rivals with headphones around $3K-$4k.

The Caldera in comparison sounds more energetic, more focused with a slightly smaller stage and perhaps a little more resolution but take this with a pinch of salt as I literally only had a few limited minutes with the Tungsten and the amp pairing was not the most ideal.

Do you know if that new jds/zmf amp is more powerful than the element 3?

Aug 24, 2023 at 2:54 AM Post #140 of 2,990
Do you know if that new jds/zmf amp is more powerful than the element 3?
I don't know the output power on the JDS/ZMF amp unfortunately, but I read somewhere that the Tungsten's sensitivity will be pretty low, between 76-82 dB/mW. That will certainly require a bit of juice from any amplifiers especially if you want good headroom.

Aug 24, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #141 of 2,990
These look far less interesting than the Erzetich. Think I may be realizing the state of the industry is currently just underwhelming.

Aug 24, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #143 of 2,990
So now the standard for judging sound is determined by how the headphones look? Thanks for enlightening us 👍🏼
Look as in appear to seem from the driver design and not deterministic on aesthetics. Between Final, Yamaha through 9K these phones aren't exciting.
It's why The Susvara had no planned upgrade until 2030.

We hit a peak, everything else is just a scrambled concession.

Aug 24, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #144 of 2,990
Look as in appear to seem from the driver design and not deterministic on aesthetics. Between Final, Yamaha through 9K these phones aren't exciting.
It's why The Susvara had no planned upgrade until 2030.

We hit a peak, everything else is just a scrambled concession.
Fair enough! My bad for misinterpreting what you meant.

Did you read where this uses gold traces like the Susvara? Allegedly, this has excellent timbre and tone. I’ve never heard it, so I am just regurgitating what others have said. But if it can sound similar to the Susvara for a fraction of the price and have better build quality, wouldn’t that be interesting? Also, some have reported that it stages wider than the Susvara.

Aug 24, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #145 of 2,990
Fair enough! My bad for misinterpreting what you meant.

Did you read where this uses gold traces like the Susvara? Allegedly, this has excellent timbre and tone. I’ve never heard it, so I am just regurgitating what others have said. But if it can sound similar to the Susvara for a fraction of the price and have better build quality, wouldn’t that be interesting? Also, some have reported that it stages wider than the Susvara.
What you are proposing is Caldera. None of this is interesting. I don't want concession in value. I want bleeding edge performance.

Between 1266 or Valkyria, you have bespoke at a cost, you also have RAAL as an offset offering the performance targeting a professional audience.

Everything must be sold as a giant killer. Desperately.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #146 of 2,990
The only way to judge these (or any other) headphones is by listening to them. FWIW, when I demo-ed them in Chicago they sounded great. I look forward to giving them a much longer listen at home in my chain, where I’ll be able to test them on a wide variety of amps, compare them to the Susvara, Caldera, and others; and mostly just get to the know these headphones for what they are. Specs and looks are nice info, but I’m mostly interested in enjoying my music 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2023 at 9:16 PM Post #150 of 2,990

Hey. I'm glad you liked them. I've been enjoying them for the last few days at home since I got home from the show. They've quickly grown to be one if not the favorite headphone I have at the moment. Especially the staging and even handedness throughout the whole frequency band is just something that grabs me every time. Vocals sound absolutely stunning and natural. On my Zähl amp the bass performance is just something else. Very well controlled and digging very deep. With a beautiful weight to the sound.
My D8k in comparison still has the edge in pure treble detail and texture but the Tungsten makes up for it with a more natural presentation. When comparing the two side by side it's just crazy how huge Tungsten sound in comparison. And on top they are one of the most comfortable headphones I've owned. A very compelling package Mod House managed to put together here.
1692926109139.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back