Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Jan 16, 2024 at 2:56 AM Post #1,261 of 2,993
I see your point, but it's no zero sum game though. I just think it wouldn't hurt if he were to pop in every now and then to answer a few questions or give a useful update about the work in progress, when he is taking a break. Surely he does take breaks, or doesn't he? After all, he has visited this forum a few times in the past, so the concept is not new. I wouldn't suggest that he spend the time set aside for work on the forum... Yet knowing that he is accumulating a significant number of pre-orders every week, wouldn't it be great if he could spend a few minutes of that "break time" each week providing an update on the progress of his work? Personally I see no harm in that.
I see your point, but it is not a break if he has to reply to emails and messages, is it? I imagine, 80% of the emails would be like "When is my Tungsten coming?". All this would slow down the process significantly and would mean even longer lead times. He is probably focusing all his energy on keeping up with the orders.

Jan 16, 2024 at 9:20 AM Post #1,262 of 2,993
I see your point, but it is not a break if he has to reply to emails and messages, is it? I imagine, 80% of the emails would be like "When is my Tungsten coming?". All this would slow down the process significantly and would mean even longer lead times. He is probably focusing all his energy on keeping up with the orders.

I see your point, but it's no zero sum game though. I just think it wouldn't hurt if he were to pop in every now and then to answer a few questions or give a useful update about the work in progress, when he is taking a break. Surely he does take breaks, or doesn't he? After all, he has visited this forum a few times in the past, so the concept is not new. I wouldn't suggest that he spend the time set aside for work on the forum... Yet knowing that he is accumulating a significant number of pre-orders every week, wouldn't it be great if he could spend a few minutes of that "break time" each week providing an update on the progress of his work? Personally I see no harm in that.
We all need to cut Ryan/Modhouse some slack. His headphone basically went viral for how well it has been received and I'm sure his orders are flying in way over expected demand. It is a huge compliment to the vision that he has been able to put into reality. I know it's hard to have patience when you want something so badly...but let's all remember that this is a want and not a need.

Agreed with the post above to about whether it's even relevant for him to respond to this thread. We know he would just tell everyone he is super crazy nutso wonky busy and doing the best he can. If it was a cookie cutter design, that would be different. However, since this headphone can be customized in many ways, that will always hold up orders as well. I'm in retail as my main line of work so I can definitely sympathize with what he is experiencing!

Jan 16, 2024 at 12:14 PM Post #1,263 of 2,993
Agreed with the post above to about whether it's even relevant for him to respond to this thread. We know he would just tell everyone he is super crazy nutso wonky busy and doing the best he can. If it was a cookie cutter design, that would be different. However, since this headphone can be customized in many ways, that will always hold up orders as well. I'm in retail as my main line of work so I can definitely sympathize with what he is experiencing!
From what I understand @Tulon has to walk a very fine line when discussing anything relating to ModHouse or its products on Head-Fi.
As such it's often safest to simply remain silent.

I believe this stems from how Head-Fi governs non-sponsors talking about or promoting their product in any way shape or form.
As much as I'm sure Ryan would love to be a sponsor, it's a financial ask that ModHouse likely hasn't grown into just yet, so silence on his part is easier than bumping up against anything that may not allow him to participate in this space in the future.

Probably safe to say that he is aware of what goes on in this thread, and that he would have many things to say if he could do so without potentially running afoul of Head-Fi protocol.

Growing pains for sure, but watching him and his family business/passion projects evolve has been a treat to see, and I truly hope the Tungsten is his catalyst to getting ModHouse to the next level :)

Jan 16, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #1,264 of 2,993
I believe this stems from how Head-Fi governs non-sponsors talking about or promoting their product in any way shape or form.
As much as I'm sure Ryan would love to be a sponsor, it's a financial ask that ModHouse likely hasn't grown into just yet, so silence on his part is easier than bumping up against anything that may not allow him to participate in this space in the future.

Probably safe to say that he is aware of what goes on in this thread, and that he would have many things to say if he could do so without potentially running afoul of Head-Fi protocol.
This. Is. Truth.

Jan 16, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #1,265 of 2,993

We all need to cut Ryan/Modhouse some slack. His headphone basically went viral for how well it has been received and I'm sure his orders are flying in way over expected demand. It is a huge compliment to the vision that he has been able to put into reality. I know it's hard to have patience when you want something so badly...but let's all remember that this is a want and not a need.

It is quite easy for me to understand and relate to the idea of cutting "Ryan/Modhouse some slack," or that of keeping him from being swamped with too many distracting client e-mails, messages, or questions--yet it seems to me that we're still talking past each other because some of my interlocutors or readers do not or are unwilling to imagine other "reverse" nightmare scenarios that could eventually arise as a result of a total Ryan/Modhouse Customer Service information Blackout...

Now setting aside such exaggeratedly alarmist opposing scenarios for now, all I am saying is that several possibilities of a balanced approach exist, an approach that combines a moderate degree of "customer service engagement," however limited it might be, with the arduous demands of all the daily/weekly diligent work that is required for the timely and punctual fulfillment of orders/preorders.

Let's not forget that there are already one-man boutique setups known on head-fi which do not treat responsiveness to customer service demands and "doing the job itself" as separate and mutually exclusive areas of operation,

Full Disclosure : Owing to a rather unpleasant history of a preorder experience in another context, a pre-order that has become a six-year long unending train-wreck of disappointment for myself and other clients (cough, cough, the Smyth Realiser A16 delivery or non-delivery train-wreck) I am unable to remain comfortable for long with any pre-order arrangement involving a total customer service information blackout! I am saying this to provide context without implying that this is what is occurring here with the Tungsten. I ordered my Tungsten through Mimic Audio, and so far they've been responsive enough for me.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #1,266 of 2,993
It is quite easy for me to understand and relate to the idea of cutting "Ryan/Modhouse some slack," or that of keeping him from being swamped with too many distracting client e-mails, messages, or questions--yet it seems to me that we're still talking past each other because some of my interlocutors or readers do not or are unwilling to imagine other "reverse" nightmare scenarios that could eventually arise as a result of a total Ryan/Modhouse Customer Service information Blackout...

Now setting aside such exaggeratedly alarmist opposing scenarios for now, all I am saying is that several possibilities of a balanced approach exist, an approach that combines a moderate degree of "customer service engagement," however limited it might be, with the arduous demands of all the daily/weekly diligent work that is required for the timely and punctual fulfillment of orders/preorders.

Let's not forget that there are already one-man boutique setups known on head-fi which do not treat responsiveness to customer service demands and "doing the job itself" as separate and mutually exclusive areas of operation,

Full Disclosure : Owing to a rather unpleasant history of a preorder experience in another context, a pre-order that has become a six-year long unending train-wreck of disappointment for myself and other clients (cough, cough, the
Smyth Realiser A16 delivery or non-delivery train-wreck) I am unable to remain comfortable for long with any pre-order arrangement involving a total customer service information blackout! I am saying this to provide context without implying that this is what is occurring here with the Tungsten. I ordered my Tungsten through Mimic Audio, and so far they've been responsive enough for me.
Very hard to say what Ryan should and should not do in this situation, maybe he's indeed getting swamped with too many orders and it's getting hard to fulfill them all in a timely matter. Maybe he should close out orders for a couple of months but that would cut into the revenue stream of his business, another one would be to lower the number of orders he takes per call even more, he sure is between a rock and a hard place at this moment, but on the bright side, he has a good problem, too much work and too many orders.

Jan 16, 2024 at 2:52 PM Post #1,267 of 2,993
Very hard to say what Ryan should and should not do in this situation, maybe he's indeed getting swamped with too many orders and it's getting hard to fulfill them all in a timely matter. Maybe he should close out orders for a couple of months but that would cut into the revenue stream of his business, another one would be to lower the number of orders he takes per call even more, he sure is between a rock and a hard place at this moment, but on the bright side, he has a good problem, too much work and too many orders.
He did comment on Zeos' video that they would be opening up drops biweekly. The date for the next drops is on the 26th which is actually 3 weeks, not 2. Probably got too many orders (I have to think that he's getting quite a lot of orders from Mimic due to it always being in stock) so had to increase the time between drops.

Jan 16, 2024 at 2:57 PM Post #1,268 of 2,993
He did comment on Zeos' video that they would be opening up drops biweekly. The date for the next drops is on the 26th which is actually 3 weeks, not 2. Probably got too many orders (I have to think that he's getting quite a lot of orders from Mimic due to it always being in stock) so had to increase the time between drops.
It's going to be a hectic year for Ryan for sure given the extraordinary success and reception his headphone has had with the community.

Jan 16, 2024 at 6:37 PM Post #1,269 of 2,993
It's going to be a hectic year for Ryan for sure given the extraordinary success and reception his headphone has had with the community.
Well I bet he's a millionaire of this product when all's said and done.

Jan 16, 2024 at 7:17 PM Post #1,270 of 2,993
Well I bet he's a millionaire of this product when all's said and done.
depends how much margin he's making on these products, but he wouldn't be doing it if it wasn't at least putting food on the table.

Jan 16, 2024 at 8:06 PM Post #1,272 of 2,993
just curious.... has anyone here gotten a ordered headphone in the last 12 weeks, 13 weeks, 14 weeks... ect..ect... would like to know how this is unfolding...
I got mine after about 14 weeks

Jan 16, 2024 at 8:25 PM Post #1,273 of 2,993
Jan 16, 2024 at 8:29 PM Post #1,274 of 2,993
He needs at least 600 orders to be a millionaire.
yep, going by the avg price between the SS and DS versions, and that's still just gross revenue

Jan 16, 2024 at 8:46 PM Post #1,275 of 2,993
He needs at least 600 orders to be a millionaire.
he'll do that ez.

I think it's a fait accompli at this point. Either unit-by-unit or he'll get scooped up by one of the Big Boys. Tungsten is a disruptive product.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back