Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Dec 27, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #781 of 3,179
I’m looking at grabbing a Singxer SA1 to power these. I current have a K5 Pro, which I would use as a DAC, but it only has single-ended output.

Is there a downside to using the K5 as a DAC vs a balanced DAC; would I be losing out on voltage?

Dec 27, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #782 of 3,179
Don't suppose anyone with the SS has a Mjolnir 3 as well? Curious if it'll drive them, apparently they can drive the Susvara well.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #783 of 3,179
I’m looking at grabbing a Singxer SA1 to power these. I current have a K5 Pro, which I would use as a DAC, but it only has single-ended output.

Is there a downside to using the K5 as a DAC vs a balanced DAC; would I be losing out on voltage?
K5 Pro dac as you said would have lower voltage and SA1 is not strong enough to fully drive those. You would have way better results with A70 Pro Topping. Attachment is from ASR, please take a look and decide for yourself.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231228_000127_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20231228_000127_Brave.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 0
Dec 27, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #784 of 3,179

On Zeos video he states that the Singxer is a no go power wise.

Dec 27, 2023 at 7:27 PM Post #785 of 3,179
I dont understand whats the story with that SA1 its not class A amp, if it was it wouldn't switch to AB mode whenever load is higher and there is no indication of when that happens. Secondly, it sounds ok only if jumper mode is done but then it might damage the headphones as protection is off and warranty is void. It is struggling to drive Arya properly, so not possible to make Tungsten sing which is even less sensible than Susvara and have over twice as much impedance. My 2 cents.

Dec 27, 2023 at 8:53 PM Post #786 of 3,179
So very happy to have added Feliks Euforia into the mix (currently running CBS Hytron 5692 pre tubes and Mullard CV2984 power tubes). In the end it adds exactly what was missing with a pure solid state chain. Bass is fuller and rounder but still has the amazing solid state control and kick. Mids and treble also have more body and are more vibrant. Taking the edge off without having any negative impacts on resolution.
Overall the one thing that always comes to mind is that the overall sound is more convincing and real sounding.

I also found a way to integrate Euforia via the Thru A output of HM1. A special rca output meant to be used to use one source and then send that to another device to manipulate and feed back into channel B. Which is how I've got it setup for now. Euforia pre signal then gets converted back to balanced and put out via the XLR pre outs of HM1 to SGP1. Nice side effect is that I can also choose to listen to HM1 direct with tube pre - which also sounds very nice - and I can still use all the EQ features etc. from HM1.

Listening to my current setup really makes me think what possible improvements I could get out of my system without spending car money on dacs/amps/headphones. So I think I might be set until another big market disruptor like Tungsten comes along.

But a good place to be because this chain is goosebump inducing non stop. Thanks Ryan 👏

1703727858904.png

Dec 27, 2023 at 9:12 PM Post #789 of 3,179
On Zeos video he states that the Singxer is a no go power wise.
The Tungsten in Zeos' video were still pre production single sided 9.0 drivers that are quite a bit harder to drive than the production SS 9.2 and DS 10.1 drivers. I still have SA-1 in a box here somewhere. I might be able to set it up tomorrow and see how it handles my DS.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2023 at 9:25 PM Post #791 of 3,179
I thought on his Tungsten review he said that the Singxer drives them 93%ish, which I took to mean as 93% of the volume he wanted, which I can only imagine is much louder than I’d listen to.
You ideally do not want an amp were it's almost maxed out. You need headroom. I'm looking at the Sabaj a30A, monster power with good reviews and cheap.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #792 of 3,179
You ideally do not want an amp were it's almost maxed out. You need headroom. I'm looking at the Sabaj a30A monster power with good reviews and cheap.
Is there any danger that might happen to hp when you use Hifiman-HE power adapter and power amplifier to drive headphones? A possibility of voltage burst or something?

I cant deny idea looks very interesting, such a high power and DSP EQ.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2023 at 9:52 PM Post #793 of 3,179
Is there any danger that might happen to hp when you use Hifiman-HE power adapter and power amplifier to drive headphones? A possibility of voltage burst or something?

You could use the tungsten directly with a speaker amp without an adapter, so an adapter won’t cause an issue (except potentially introducing unnecessary resistance/attenuation)

Dec 28, 2023 at 10:05 PM Post #794 of 3,179

Have a read at this post on the Susvara thread, @BassicScience shared some of the precautions.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-susvara.853031/post-17889653

I did burned my drivers once in Diana once by having the headphone in when switching on/off…

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back