Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Dec 24, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #736 of 3,179
@chargedcapacitor (correctly) refers to the fact that the headphones may be over damped - you don’t want the ratio between the amp output impedance and headphones load impedance to be neither too high nor too low. Proper damping means the drivers react to current with a desired level of damping (think of the rate of decay of water circles when a stone is thrown and bounces across a pond)

That said, damping is also comprised of other factors beyond the impedance ratios, such as the materials and housing of the headphone drivers. The natural resonance of the headphone (and how its FR will be impacted by varying impedances) may also come into play.

Therefore, some rule of thumbs (like 8 to 1 ratio) are often overridden (e.g. using utopia on otl amps works great) though they are great sanity check in many cases.

So the true golden rule in audio applies — the only way to find out if something fits, is to (safely) stick a plug in, and just discover the synergies (or lack thereof) 🤷‍♂️

Dec 24, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #737 of 3,179
@chargedcapacitor (correctly) refers to the fact that the headphones may be over damped - you don’t want the ratio between the amp output impedance and headphones load impedance to be neither too high nor too low. Proper damping means the drivers react to current with a desired level of damping (think of the rate of decay of water circles when a stone is thrown and bounces across a pond)

That said, damping is also comprised of other factors beyond the impedance ratios, such as the materials and housing of the headphone drivers. The natural resonance of the headphone (and how its FR will be impacted by varying impedances) may also come into play.

Therefore, some rule of thumbs (like 8 to 1 ratio) are often overridden (e.g. using utopia on otl amps works great) though they are great sanity check in many cases.

So the true golden rule in audio applies — the only way to find out if something fits, is to (safely) stick a plug in, and just discover the synergies (or lack thereof) 🤷‍♂️
Thanks!

Dec 25, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #740 of 3,179
The Tungsten off the AIC10 (off its speaker taps) is just sublime. These headphones scale maginificently. Wonderful.

Dec 25, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #741 of 3,179
If there is a full evaluation of the sonic performance of the Tungsten, could someone kindly point me to it. So far I've only seen passing bits and pieces of impressions but never the full monty! So your help in finding a full review would be very much appreciated.

One more question: In the video from Z that was recently posted on this site, he seemed to be saying that the Singxer SA1 can drive the Turgsten well. Has anyone confirmed that fact? Many thanks.

Dec 25, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #742 of 3,179
If there is a full evaluation of the sonic performance of the Tungsten, could someone kindly point me to it. So far I've only seen passing bits and pieces of impressions but never the full monty! So your help in finding a full review would be very much appreciated.

One more question: In the video from Z that was recently posted on this site, he seemed to be saying that the Singxer SA1 can drive the Turgsten well. Has anyone confirmed that fact? Many thanks.

My review:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/mod-house-tungsten.26823/reviews#review-32108

Dec 25, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #743 of 3,179
Dec 25, 2023 at 7:27 PM Post #744 of 3,179
Dec 25, 2023 at 7:51 PM Post #745 of 3,179
Also:

I know I already asked yet I still couldn’t find any measurements of the Tungsten.
are people who have them they not allowed to show the measurements?

Can someone send me a link to them or tell me where to find or subscribe to get them?

I mean I already bought them but still would like to see how the frequency response graph looks like

Dec 26, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #746 of 3,179

SA1 shuts off on Susvara when dinamics hits peak, no way it can make Tungsten even loud enough not mentioning making it fully driven.

Dec 26, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #747 of 3,179
SA1 shuts off on Susvara when dinamics hits peak, no way it can make Tungsten even loud enough not mentioning making it fully driven.
This has started to come up at least partly because Zeos demonstrated the SA1 working well with the Tungstens in his recent video.

Haven't heard that pairing myself so can't comment directly but this wouldn't be the first example of an amp that struggles with Susvaras but drives the Tungstens much better.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2023 at 8:45 AM Post #748 of 3,179
Violectric is a key here their amps fulfill needs of this one. A70Pro is strong enough but Vio is making it justice, IMHO.

Dec 26, 2023 at 8:50 AM Post #749 of 3,179
This has started to come up at least partly because Zeos demonstrated the SA1 working well with the Tungstens in his recent video.

Haven't heard that pairing myself so can't comment directly but this wouldn't be the first example of an amp that struggles with Susvaras but drives the Tungstens much better.
Unsure if Zeos covered what he is using in the rest of his chain (haven't watched the video yet), but there are some dependencies that could make or break the SA1 from being an option.
- SE vs Balanced output being used on the SA1
- Voltage output of the DAC being used to feed the SA1
- SS vs DS Tungsten

Might be a decent pairing for a DS Tungsten if your DAC can output more than 4V balanced to the SA1.

I'm still patiently waiting for my DS Tungsten to land on Ryan's build queue.
In the meantime I'm soaking up as many impressions as I can while the Tungsten trickles into the world at large.

Dec 26, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #750 of 3,179
Violectric is a key here their amps fulfill needs of this one. A70Pro is strong enough but Vio is making it justice, IMHO.
The Violectric line looks great with their higher gains and voltages. Also heard they were doing a re-issue of the V281, which could also be a great pairing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back