Mod for DT 880 to Improve Bass?
Nov 8, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #16 of 34
What about either of the two Creative options discussed in this thread?

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/469658/two-new-soundcards-from-creative-sound-blaster-x-fi-titanium-hd-and-x-fi-hd

Would either of these be able to drive the 880 well?

Nov 8, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #17 of 34
Let me say this one more time, and forgive me for sounding callous...

There is no substitute for a dedicated headphone amp.

Regardless of source, be it soundcard, DAC, iPod, receiver etc. a headphone amp is what will drive your headphones to its fullest potential.

Nov 8, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #18 of 34

Quote:
Let me say this one more time, and forgive me for sounding callous...

There is no substitute for a dedicated headphone amp.

Regardless of source, be it soundcard, DAC, iPod, receiver etc. a headphone amp is what will drive your headphones to its fullest potential.

I don't think you sound callous at all. I appreciate the point you are making and the insistence with which you are making it, and I'm sure you are correct in stating that a headphone amp will drive my headphones to their fullest potential ... So let me rephrase my question: Will either of the two xfi options (which I thought did have some form of headphone amplification, though I could be wrong) make an improvement over what I have now--that being the headphone jack on my ht receiver?

EDIT: it looks like the xfi hd card does have a 300 ohm headphone amp ...

Nov 8, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #19 of 34
I seem to have misunderstood the question. Apologies.

I would definitely say yes. As JerseyD stated, receivers vary greatly and more often than not the headphone output ends up being an afterthought.

Those soundcards do indeed appear to have a form of built in amplification. The issue I have with plugging directly into soundcards is that they tend to have lots of extra functions and enhancements which often results in distortion or hiss which may not always be clearly audible but is very unattractive from a purist's standpoint.

In my experience, the best way to form an audio chain is to have each component specialize in one part of the process alone, instead of having an all-in-one.

If those soundcards will better suit your needs for the money, then go for it.

Nov 8, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #20 of 34
Another alternative to the added holes is the closed back mod, which does give more bass and midrange.

I agree that the idea of drilling holes is tricky, especially where the hole is on the headphone. Put it in the wrong place and you will have a different sound.

Nov 9, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #21 of 34
Thanks for responding! I had considered the DT770 and may eventually still pick up a pair, but I have young children at home and need open phones so I can hear my kids in case they set themselves on fire, etc.

Nov 9, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #22 of 34

Quote:
I seem to have misunderstood the question. Apologies.

I would definitely say yes. As JerseyD stated, receivers vary greatly and more often than not the headphone output ends up being an afterthought.

Those soundcards do indeed appear to have a form of built in amplification. The issue I have with plugging directly into soundcards is that they tend to have lots of extra functions and enhancements which often results in distortion or hiss which may not always be clearly audible but is very unattractive from a purist's standpoint.

In my experience, the best way to form an audio chain is to have each component specialize in one part of the process alone, instead of having an all-in-one.

If those soundcards will better suit your needs for the money, then go for it.

No need for an apology, Riku. I should have phrased my question better.

I had settled on the USB xfi HD, as I don't have a free PCI-E slot on my MB and thus can't use the Titanium card ... but now I'm reading in another thread on here that the Xfi DOESN'T actually have a headphone amp, even though Creative says it does ... so now I don't know what to think.

Nov 9, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #23 of 34

Quote:
I just got a pair of DT 880s (250 ohm) and I love them. But I don't have a very decent amp and the bass is a little anemic. I'm wondering if there are any physical mods I could perform on the 880s to boost the bass (I did the tac mod on my old Sen 280 pros, for instance, and the bass improved dramatically).

All suggestions appreciated!

Hi Blinkstar

What happened to EQing?  If you bump up the bass a little on your receiver, does it do the trick? 

Denon makes good receivers.  I have an older Denon receiver and it sounds pretty good with my 880s.

USG

Nov 9, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #24 of 34
Thanks for weighing in, USG! Either I'm doing something wrong--very possible--or EQing just doesn't work for me, bass wise. I do have a bass dial on my receiver and when I turn it up, the bass is more ... pronounced? But it still sounds thin and hollow. There is just more thin and hollow bass, rather than deeper or more filled-out bass, if that makes any sense. I'm not sure I believe that bass can be improved via EQ, but again, all I've done is turn that little dial up, so maybe there is more that I could do ... ?

Nov 9, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #25 of 34
@Zombie X: any pic of those mods you've done?

Nov 9, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #26 of 34

Quote:
Thanks for responding! I had considered the DT770 and may eventually still pick up a pair, but I have young children at home and need open phones so I can hear my kids in case they set themselves on fire, etc.

LOL!!! I do to have a young kid... so I got the DT990... HUGE BASS and the e7... still waiting for a e9. But if you have some lack of bass you can always EQ with the e7 to level 1, I've never needed level 2 or 3 that's just insane bass...

Nov 9, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #27 of 34

Quote:
Thanks for weighing in, USG! Either I'm doing something wrong--very possible--or EQing just doesn't work for me, bass wise. I do have a bass dial on my receiver and when I turn it up, the bass is more ... pronounced? But it still sounds thin and hollow. There is just more thin and hollow bass, rather than deeper or more filled-out bass, if that makes any sense. I'm not sure I believe that bass can be improved via EQ, but again, all I've done is turn that little dial up, so maybe there is more that I could do ... ?

That's strange ?? 
confused_face(1).gif
   What happens when you push the loudness button?

How does that receiver sound with speakers?

Are you computer based?  If so, can you EQ with foobar?

USG

Nov 9, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #28 of 34

Quote:
That's strange ?? 
confused_face(1).gif
   What happens when you push the loudness button?

How does that receiver sound with speakers?

Are you computer based?  If so, can you EQ with foobar?

USG

I don't think I have a loudness button? The Denon sounds fine with my Paradigm Monitors. I am computer based but don't know much--well, nothing, really--about using EQ or foobar, but i'm willing to install it and give it a go. Would you mind telling me what settings to look for?

Nov 9, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #29 of 34

Quote:
LOL!!! I do to have a young kid... so I got the DT990... HUGE BASS and the e7... still waiting for a e9. But if you have some lack of bass you can always EQ with the e7 to level 1, I've never needed level 2 or 3 that's just insane bass...

Maybe I should have held out for the DT990s ... What is "e7?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back