Mobile Phone recommendations for IEMs
Nov 7, 2017 at 4:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

weapon

New Head-Fier
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm looking at replacing my current mobile phone (HTC M8s) and I am looking for some recommendations.

What I am really looking for is a mobile phone with a low output impedance to drive my Westone UM Pro 20. After a lot of googleing, I found it is really hard to find the output impedance of mobile phones!

Why do I want low impedance - well when I got my UM Pro 20 in ears for Christmas (to replace my decaying, 8 year old UM1), I found that they were a bit sibilant, and after a bit of research purchased a Fiio A1 to drive them. I found that the sibilant disappeared, and the clarity of the headphones (especially the bass) was greatly improved. The Fiio A1 has a really low output impedance (<0.1ohm), which helps with the damping factor etc. But I must admit that it is a bit of a pain to carry a second headphone amp around - I'd prefer the convenience of a good headphone amp built into the phone.

Anyway after a bit of research I am looking at:
  • HTC 10
  • LG V20
  • LG G5 with B&O DAC module
There is heaps about the LG phones driving high impedance loads, but as the Westones really want a low impedance source.

Can anybody give any advice about the above phones (or other android phones) and their output impedance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back