Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab (MFSL) CDs
Nov 20, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #2 of 27
You just heard about the existence of MFSL?
ph34r.gif

You should check out the DCC remasters as well, at this rate.

Nov 20, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #4 of 27
MFSL has some nice recordings but they are not consistently good with every release. Some releases are too warm and dull and lacking in dynamics. Try Huey Lewis and the News Sports for example. Boy is it lackluster!

Nov 20, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #5 of 27
unforgettable fire is amazing on mfsl. it's like the soundstage gained about ten miles of space

Nov 20, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try Huey Lewis and the News Sports for example. Boy is it lackluster!

OMG, you just brought me back to some awesome times with that album on vinyl!
beerchug.gif

Nov 20, 2009 at 6:27 AM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MFSL has some nice recordings but they are not consistently good with every release. Some releases are too warm and dull and lacking in dynamics. Try Huey Lewis and the News Sports for example. Boy is it lackluster!

After um, shall we say, a'quiring' some MFSL albums, yeah I have found this to be true but still, when it is done right..oh my!
atsmile.gif

e.g. Nirvana's 'Nevermind', Bee Gee's 'Saturday Night Fever'

Nov 20, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
unforgettable fire is amazing on mfsl. it's like the soundstage gained about ten miles of space

I found all of U2's remastered stuff to be rather subpar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After um, shall we say, a'quiring' some MFSL albums, yeah I have found this to be true but still, when it is done right..oh my!
atsmile.gif

e.g. Nirvana's 'Nevermind', Bee Gee's 'Saturday Night Fever'

And likewise, as I scaled my equipment up, I found "Nevermind" to be in a rather sad, narrow, and noisy state, even in MFSL form. The "Saturday Night Fever" album though is really great though!

Nov 20, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #9 of 27
A lot of audiophiles rave about Diana Krall but really I find this album to be much better than Krall's stuff to test out audio equipment on:

Patricia Barber - Café Blue

* particularly the 'Nardis' track

Cafe-Blue_Patricia-Barber,images_big,21,90760.jpg

Nov 20, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #10 of 27
Patricia Barber can tend to be very pretentious sometimes and the whole melding of popular songs with her style gets boring and quite frustrating pretty quick. But there are some stand out tracks in almost all of her albums and the recording quality is usually top notch.

Nov 20, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found all of U2's remastered stuff to be rather subpar.

have you heard the mfsl versions of war and uf compared to the regular cd releases? night and day. i agree the regular cd best of collection was compressed crap, but especially on mfsl's uf i can hear so much more of the widescreen sound like edge's backup vocals, which are chopped out of the soundstage on the regular cd release.

i agree though mfsl warms up the sound too much, and the best versions of these albums are still on vinyl.

Nov 20, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
have you heard the mfsl versions of war and uf compared to the regular cd releases? night and day. i agree the regular cd best of collection was compressed crap, but especially on mfsl's uf i can hear so much more of the widescreen sound like edge's backup vocals, which are chopped out of the soundstage on the regular cd release.

i agree though mfsl warms up the sound too much, and the best versions of these albums are still on vinyl.

Yup, I heard "War." It's definitely an improvement over the mass-produced version, but still I wouldn't use any MFSL U2 album to introduce people into what mind-blowing audio should sound like. They just sound too rough to me.

Nov 20, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #15 of 27
i'd like to see MFSL tackle a few recent albums that have been victimized by the loudness war (new slayer, death magnetic, etc...)

and it's MFSL not MSFL

i only have a few... muddy waters - folk singer, albert king - born under a bad sign, nirvana - nevermind, nirvana - in utero, pink floyd - dark side of the moon, and pink floyd - the wall

the nirvana MFSLs don't really wow me much compared to the original releases they are better but not a giant leap the pink floyd releases however are quite nice... the other 2 i only have in their MFSL versions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back