Mo-Fi Headphones from Blue Microphones: Multi-link, Amplified Headphone Goodness - Head-Fi TV
Aug 26, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #62 of 389
I'm guessing that the ampless version would be marketed as "the audiophile version" and cost more. I think we'll just have to settle with turning the amp off if we want the rest of the package.

Nope, it's already marketed as audiophile: "Custom high-powered audiophile amplifier"

Why are you dismissing it out of hand?

Aug 26, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #63 of 389
I'd say don't knock it til you've tried it... There are alot of wannabe "audio snob's" on here that put stuff down just because.. You haven't even heard them yet!! Jeeze!

Aug 26, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #67 of 389
It's probably for the best that i don't get my hands on this for now, my headphone short list is currently ranging from tbis purely off curiosity all the way up to the lcd-xc and th900. Mainly just trying to decide how much I'm willing to spend.

I got the joke.

Aug 26, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #69 of 389
"I think we'll just have to settle with turning the amp off if we want the rest of the package."

I meant, why are you dismissing the built-in amplifier.

I think the amp is a great idea. I have a schiit amp but having a mobile one that's been built and matched specifically for the headphone intrigues me. If it sounds good.

I should be receiving mine tomorrow 
smile_phones.gif
 so all will be revealed unto me then!

Aug 26, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #71 of 389
It's amazing to see that reviews are already up. Blue has really nailed the marketing on this. I don't see reviews in the traditional audio press though, I wonder if that's by design?

Gizmodo: http://gizmodo.com/blue-mo-fi-review-great-sounding-headphones-that-aren-1626669917

Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/aug/26/blue-mo-fi-headphones-review-powered-up-hi-fi-headphones

Aug 26, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #72 of 389
Sure, the amp might be great, but:

1) You can only use it with the Mo-Fi
2) I've already got an amp
3) It's adding to the weight and price

None of these are me saying it isn't a good amp, or a good product overall; but it's why I'd prefer one without the amp.

Aug 26, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #75 of 389
I think most of you have misunderstood the point of these.. The point is that they can be used by a regular joe with an iphone/android and for them to be able to get the full potential out of the headphones. The secondary point is that instead of carrying round an amp stuck to the back of your device, it is now integrated in the cans.

Remember, these are $349 headphones, not $1000+. They are aimed at the "apple" user that buy's $300ish headphones to go with their idevice.
The sort of people that say "amp? what's an amp?, does it come with my phone?" and "what, you mean I have to stick it to my phone with a rubber band???"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back