Mo-Fi Headphones from Blue Microphones: Multi-link, Amplified Headphone Goodness - Head-Fi TV
Aug 29, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #226 of 389
You know, I think I am starting to actually think the look is pretty sick. The design is so pushing the envelope that despite being so out there, it is so unique that the look somehow is actually quite artistic. Were allowed to change our mind aren't we?

Aug 29, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #228 of 389
   Were allowed to change our mind aren't we?

It's a large part of what makes us human. :)

We're allowed, nobody will fault ya.  I still wonder if it's a terminator ploy for head crushing.

Nah, the remotely activated actuators aren't what's worrying me.
They're just there to hold the 'amplifier' (read: mind-control device) in place.

Aug 29, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #229 of 389
  We're allowed, nobody will fault ya.  I still wonder if it's a terminator ploy for head crushing.

Ya, funny how perspective can change. At first I just couldn't get it. I thought it was garish. Now I'm starting to feel the design for sure. And yes of course it is totally all about the Terminator.

It's a large part of what makes us human. :)

Nah, the remotely activated actuators aren't what's worrying me.
They're just there to hold the 'amplifier' (read: mind-control device) in place.

More like a wallet control device I'm thinking.

Aug 30, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #230 of 389
The thing that totally annoys me about this headphone is I know my #1 reason to want to buy it, for now anyways seeing I haven't had a chance to hear it, is I love the look of it.  I suspect I'll enjoy the sound differences between the two "On" with what I listen to, but I hate that I'm honestly wanting to buy it for aesthetics.

Aug 30, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #231 of 389
Just hit up the Guitar Center in Union Square and they had a Mo-Fi to demo so I snapped a few pics for you guys.

Upon first wrapping this contraption around my head the clamp pressure immediate made itself known and hugged me like an old childhood friend who had become a pro-wrestler during his post-college years. It didn't help that I already had a slight headache from working all day. Playing with the adjustable tension knob didn't seem to do much to alleviate the pressure so I blinked a few times and then starting fiddling with the audio cable and my phone. The second thing I noticed was the weight. These headphones are on heavy side and they let you know it. I noticed that the Mo-Fi isolated from background noise much better than the M-100 I had on hand and the isolation, especially in the middle of a noisy Guitar Center, helped immensely in allowing me to enjoy my test music. The sound from these headphones was incredible. The sound stage was noticeably wider and more three-dimensional than the M-100 and the balance was flatter. The amplifier gets plenty loud and the sound straight out of my Galaxy SIII was simply astounding. Switching back and forth between ON and ON+ generated a small, but noticeable boost in the sub bass that didn't interfere with the mids or treble. I wish I had my Verza on me so I could have tested the passive mode using the Verza's DAC and amp, but the sound was plenty impressive from the Mo-Fi straight out of my phone. I didn't listen to them long enough for any deeper comments on sound, but I definitely liked what I heard. I also made a short video of the the mechanics of the headphone. Enjoy!

I think most of us would want a headphone that is heavy because it is strong and will last, rather than light and flimsy.

Aug 30, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #233 of 389
Thumbs up for the demo, Spider!  Thanks for sharing.

biggrin.gif

HS

Aug 30, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #234 of 389
After reading up about these it seems they have been designed with double amping in mind, and I'm assuming they have tried to use as few components in their internal amp so as not to cause too many synergy issues with your phone and DAP's own internal amp. But I'm wondering (being an iDevice owner) if they would run like this - iDevice with lightning connector > lightning to 30 pin adaptor > 30 pin LOD (fiio for example) > female 3.5 to female 3.5 adaptor > Blue Mo Fi headphones.
Surely the DAC in the lightning to 30
pin converter would give the analogue signal they need? Then there's no worry about the double amping issue....... Any thoughts? Cheers

Aug 30, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #236 of 389
  The thing that totally annoys me about this headphone is I know my #1 reason to want to buy it, for now anyways seeing I haven't had a chance to hear it, is I love the look of it.  I suspect I'll enjoy the sound differences between the two "On" with what I listen to, but I hate that I'm honestly wanting to buy it for aesthetics.

Look at it this way: it's arguably better than buying "monster beats" for aesthetics.

Aug 30, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #239 of 389
The "headband" design in interesting.  It's interesting to see a new approach.  In particular, I like the "clamp-force adjustment dial."

Looking at the simple, not-so-well-engineered headmount setup they use on the LCD's and HiFi Man headphones - well, it's good to see someone trying to focus more on the issue of "wearability." 

I thought my Sennheiser HD-800's  had really well designed / super well made headband parts, and so did a pair of Sony MDR-SA5000's that I used to have.  Beautiful use of magnesium etc. Here with these new headphones from Blue Mics we have another interesting  approach to these same engineering, manufacturing and ergonomic challenges.

Aug 30, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #240 of 389
Just received mine via FEDEX from Amazon. I'm charging them up now. When the box arrived the weight of the box scared me. But minus the shipping box, and the substantially weighty product box it didn't seem to bad in the hand.  I'll be back later with some comments after I've charged them up fully and get a listen. I didn't dare put them on as I know I'd want to listen right away without fully charging them. This brings me back to the days of my AKG K1000 

I'm going to have to be brave to wear these in public
gs1000.gif
! I hope the sound is worth the weight and look it give the wearer.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back