MMmmmmmmm...it's Dungeness Crab Season *mouth watering pics*
Jul 6, 2007 at 5:28 AM Post #16 of 70
i'm feeling lonely and nostalgic now with these pics so here's my little island

58.424460, 8.796272 merdo, norway, near arendal

family has a little cabin, used to spend each summer their as a kid, so much less frequent now (alas, we all know how that goes)

peace and good crabbing!

Jul 6, 2007 at 6:43 AM Post #18 of 70
I also prefer that stuff inside the body to the actual meat...I've heard it contains high levels of cholesterol, though
frown.gif

Jul 6, 2007 at 9:42 AM Post #19 of 70
Looks good, even to me, and I dont like seafood!

Jul 6, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #21 of 70
Makes me homesick for the Northwest. There are few things I enjoy more than fresh crab.

Jul 6, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #23 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by XxATOLxX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do dungeness crabs have that gunk on the inside of their shell? Its better than the meat itself.

Gosh, don't call it 'gunk'!! It's called roe and is a treasured Chinese delicacy.

i1048992ih9.jpg

Jul 6, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #24 of 70
It's weird...recently I've had this idea that crabs, lobsters, etc... are basically just giant aquatic insects. It kind of weirds me out. With their antennae and all those legs. Really not unlike a scorpion or spider. I still think they're delicious but when you think about it...thats basically what they are. They just happen to have delicious meat inside. There's no way I'd eat it's guts though. blagheugh.....

I mean just look at this lobster for example:

6gxunnp.jpg

That being said, I still think seafood kicks ass. Just food for thought...

Jul 6, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #25 of 70
Ain't gonna stop me from having crabs and lobsters! I'm having some tomorrow night
biggrin.gif

EDIT: BTW, that is quite a big lobster
wink.gif

Jul 6, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #26 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's weird...recently I've had this idea that crabs, lobsters, etc... are basically just giant aquatic insects. It kind of weirds me out. With their antennae and all those legs. Really not unlike a scorpion or spider. I still think they're delicious but when you think about it...thats basically what they are. They just happen to have delicious meat inside. There's no way I'd eat it's guts though. blagheugh.....

I mean just look at this lobster for example:

6gxunnp.jpg

That being said, I still think seafood kicks ass. Just food for thought...

Was that exposed to radiation on purpose?

And isnt it suppose to be new brunswick lobster season?

Jul 6, 2007 at 4:06 PM Post #27 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by petery83 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also prefer that stuff inside the body to the actual meat...I've heard it contains high levels of cholesterol, though
frown.gif

it's called the "mustard," and it's my favorite part too. my in-laws live in baltimore (aka Charm City), so we have a couple of crab feasts a year... mmmm!

in fact, i'm the only one in the family who likes the mustard, so everyone hands theirs over to me. i'm probably destroying my innards, but i just can't help myself.

nothin' but the Old Bay, baby!
bigcrab1.jpg

Jul 6, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #28 of 70
Only 2 this morning.

Jul 6, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #29 of 70
at the San Jose National Meet, 1911 and I drove to San Fran just to score some Dungeness off a cart. AWESOME. Big chunks of pure unadulterated sea meat.

But Maryland Blue Crab is still the sweetest - more work to get it out, but oh so worth it. And I have a cracking technique that I should patent - it's called "the Fan" and it works perfectly!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 6, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #30 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Josh, you're killin' me. Next meet, you're bringing some. NYC may have brownies, but the NW will have Dungeoness.
biggrin.gif

If there's a Meet this summer I'll bring afew
eggosmile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how's the crabbing up their in anacortes? i've been wanting to move to the skagit region for awhile now; how do you do your crabbing?

We crab around here:

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious... How do you fish for crab?

Square crab pot, weighted 60' line, buoy & bait (typically turkey parts)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back