MMmmmmmmm...it's Dungeness Crab Season *mouth watering pics*
Jul 6, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #31 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif

in fact, i'm the only one in the family who likes the mustard, so everyone hands theirs over to me. i'm probably destroying my innards, but i just can't help myself.
bigcrab1.jpg

x2.... My in-laws throw it away
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
I have one sister in-law who eats the gutts too, so we pig out on the stuff. Its a cholesterol BOMB, but who cares
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Jul 6, 2007 at 6:36 PM Post #33 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bigcrab1.jpg

Yup, this is what I had yesterday, Steamed Maryland Blue Crab with Old bay all over it. Quite chunky and tasty.

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
i1048992ih9.jpg

Most crabs served in restaurant are male. Male crabs have more meat and bit more tasty, so they are bit expensive than females. These crabs above are females. That orange-ish gunk is crab eggs. It is ok to eat.

Yellow mustard like gooy that often found in steamed crab is... well... I wouldn't mind you eat it, but I wouldn't eat it myself.

Jul 6, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #34 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaside /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most crabs served in restaurant are male. Male crabs have more meat and bit more tasty, so they are bit expensive than females. These crabs above are females. That orange-ish gunk is crab eggs. It is ok to eat.

ok to eat? you mean it's fantastic to eat! although in the Chesapeake, i believe there are severe restrictions on keeping she-crabs, in order to keep the populations up.

Quote:

Yellow mustard like gooy that often found in steamed crab is... well... I wouldn't mind you eat it, but I wouldn't eat it myself.

sure, it may be poop... but it's DELICIOUS poop.
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 6, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #36 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaside /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Haha, I prefer females crab because of the crab eggs and I also loved that yellow mustard like gooy
tongue.gif

Btw, where's the best place in Maryland to satisfy your crabdiction.

I loved crabs no matter how they cook it, however Singapore Chilly crab IMHO are the best way to present a crab.

Jul 6, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #38 of 70
My son goes fishing all the time out of Bodega Bay with a neighbor that has a boat. He is always bringing home goodies, like fresh salmon, crabs, abalone, lingcod, etc... whatever is in season at the time
tongue.gif
cool.gif

Jul 6, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #40 of 70
Out here you can only take males. You can’t take soft shells either.

“Do Dungeness crabs have that gunk on the inside of their shell? Its better than the meat itself.”

This is just me but I wouldn’t eat that stuff. Especially out here do to the potential of pollution. I believe that’s the fat and any pollutants would be concentrated in the fat. There’s an oil refinery right there in Anacortes and another across the bay. While I do feel the area out here is very clean and I’ve never seen a deformed or cancerous fish or crab the fact that some of the bays can potentially have pollutants in the sediment where the crabs live would make me less likely to eat the fat. I believe eating the meat is safer since toxic chemicals would concentrate in the crabs fat.

I’d put the difference between the fat and the meat of the crab along the same lines as eating a Crab compared to a Clam. When you eat the clam you eat the stomach which has the toxins and contaminants while eating the crab meat (not the fat) you’re eating something a step removed.

The above is just my beliefs but I do believe contaminants are at higher concentrations in fat compared to meat.

There’s nothing better than sitting back after a nice day on the water eating fresh seafood.

Mitch

Jul 7, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #42 of 70
Don't like crap, but damn those sure look good.

What's the difference between dungeness and maryland crab? As i said, I'm not a crab person, I prefer fish(as opposed to shellfish) such as Tilapia, Salmon, and Flounder.

Jul 7, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #43 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
at the San Jose National Meet, 1911 and I drove to San Fran just to score some Dungeness off a cart. AWESOME. Big chunks of pure unadulterated sea meat.

But Maryland Blue Crab is still the sweetest - more work to get it out, but oh so worth it. And I have a cracking technique that I should patent - it's called "the Fan" and it works perfectly!
smily_headphones1.gif

OK maestro -- if you know a great place 'round here for crab, we should get together a core posse and you can hold a master crackling technique class for us crab gourmands!

Jul 7, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #44 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rise To The Top /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont like seafood!

i'd bet dollars to donuts it's because you've never had great seafood; for example, i live in socal now and nomatter how i try i simply cannot get great fish, crab etc. if i spend a fortune i can get decent stuff at best; you have to live where it's at

Users who are viewing this thread

Back