MLB Playoffs Thread
Oct 2, 2005 at 8:36 AM Post #31 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightWoundsTime
Are the playoffs on FOX again this year? If so I have some choice words for all you baseball fans who kill Arrested Development and Family Guy for the month of October.

It's not our fault.

You think we actually LIKE Tim McCarver?

-Matt

Oct 2, 2005 at 6:58 PM Post #32 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by bundee1
I dont know, I think the White Sox are a paper tiger.

Well, you're with the majority of people, who still for some reason aren't convinced the Sox are for real. Meanwhile, they have lead their division wire-to-wire and will finish the season with an AL-leading 98 or 99 wins. They have had 3 seperate pitchers named pitcher of the month this year, which hasn't happened in 15 years. The nat'l media and the Cubbie contingent here in Chicago want nothing more than to see this team fall flat on their face. Well, it just isn't going to happen. You don't win 98/99 games unless you're a hell of a good team. The Red Sox starting staff will be so outclassed in the ALDS that the naysayers will have no choice but to eat their words. Just wait.
biggrin.gif

Oct 2, 2005 at 8:10 PM Post #34 of 167
And the Red Sox clinch the wild card.

Go Sox. (red of course)

Oct 3, 2005 at 3:09 AM Post #37 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by shesmylovernow
Well, you're with the majority of people, who still for some reason aren't convinced the Sox are for real. Meanwhile, they have lead their division wire-to-wire and will finish the season with an AL-leading 98 or 99 wins. They have had 3 seperate pitchers named pitcher of the month this year, which hasn't happened in 15 years. The nat'l media and the Cubbie contingent here in Chicago want nothing more than to see this team fall flat on their face. Well, it just isn't going to happen. You don't win 98/99 games unless you're a hell of a good team. The Red Sox starting staff will be so outclassed in the ALDS that the naysayers will have no choice but to eat their words. Just wait.
biggrin.gif

The only problem is: neither team has pitching, but the Red Sox actually have a real offense that hasn't beaten up on anemic teams like the Tigers and Royals all year.

The outcome of this series is quite obvious.

The only interesting series this year will be that of the Braves vs. Cardinals.

-Matt

Oct 3, 2005 at 6:24 AM Post #38 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
The only problem is: neither team has pitching, but the Red Sox actually have a real offense that hasn't beaten up on anemic teams like the Tigers and Royals all year.

The outcome of this series is quite obvious.

The only interesting series this year will be that of the Braves vs. Cardinals.

-Matt

And now to debunk everything you've just said:

Starting Pitching:

White Sox:

Mark Buehrle: 16-8, 3.12 ERA (#3 in AL)
Jose Contreras: 15-7, 3.61 ERA (#11 in AL)
Freddy Garcia: 14-8, 3.87 ERA (#21 in AL)
Jon Garland: 18-10, 3.51 ERA (#9 in AL)

Red Sox:

Bronso Arroyo: 14-10, 4.51 ERA
Matt Clement: 13-6, 4.57 ERA
Curt Schilling: 8-8, 5.69 ERA
David Wells: 15-7, 4.45 ERA
Tim Wakefield: 16-12, 4.15 ERA

Basically, your best starter, whoever that might be, wouldn't even crack our postseason rotation. We have pitching. You do not. If you're still not convinced, take a look at the bullpens:

White Sox:

Neal Cotts: 4-0, 1.94 ERA, 60.1 IP
Cliff Politte: 7-1, 2.00 ERA, 67.1 IP
Dustin Hermanson: 2-4, 2.04 ERA, 34 saves, 57.1 IP
Bobby Jenks: 1-1, 2.75 ERA, 6 saves, 39.1 IP

Red Sox:

Mike Timlin.

I'll be nice and just stop here. Timlin's great, but that's pretty much where it stops for you guys. If you want to argue the merits of Mike Myers, be my guest.

Top-to-bottom, the White Sox have arguably the best pitching staff in the AL. There's an old adage in baseball that goes something like this: in the playoffs, good pitching will always beat good hitting. There's a reason that this is an old adage -- this is how things usually pan out.

And don't talk about the Royals and Tigers when the Wrong Sox are in the same division as the O's and Rays. Not much of a difference there; each division has 2 very good teams, a mediocre team, a bad team, and a horribly bad team.

See ya Tuesday.

Oct 3, 2005 at 6:36 AM Post #39 of 167
white or red, either sox will lose to the yanks.
evil_smiley.gif

and in the NL, out of spite i say the stros will go to the big show since they knocked out my phillies.

Oct 3, 2005 at 7:14 AM Post #40 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by shesmylovernow
There's an old adage in baseball that goes something like this: in the playoffs, good pitching will always beat good hitting. There's a reason that this is an old adage -- this is how things usually pan out.

I thought the adage was, "Good pitching will always stop good hitting, and vice versa."

Well maybe not an adage so much as a yogiism...

Oct 4, 2005 at 3:10 PM Post #43 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmr
Damn! Look at all that Astros love!

Yeah, the Stro's and Halo's are getting all the expert attention - no less than 6 each picks to go all the way. Yanks and Red Sox only get 1 each.

In playoff baseball, there is a lot to be said for "been there, done that", so regardless of respective talent, the Red Sox, Yankees, Cards, and Braves have that going for them. The Cards have to be out to prove something as well, so have that going for them.

My only firm prediction? The Sox will win tonight
biggrin.gif

Oct 4, 2005 at 10:18 PM Post #44 of 167
Actually, teams with no previous playoff experience have just as much success as the "been there, done that" teams. The best team wins. Period.

And the Right Sox are winning 8-2 right now.
biggrin.gif

Oct 4, 2005 at 10:39 PM Post #45 of 167
Holy smokes! I'm in Illinois this week, and of course grew up as a White Sox fan. I've got no idea about who is who on the team now, but it's fun watching them beat up on the Red Sox! The score of Game 1 is now 12-2 in the 8th inning. I guess I'll have to enjoy it while I can, because as all Sox fans know (Red and White) tomorrow is another day...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back