Mixer vs Amplifier difference..
Dec 31, 2017 at 4:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

kingsterxz

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, just bought the amazon dot 2 during a sale on amazon but i've encountered some volume problems when i have multiple inputs into my dayton audio APA150 amplifier.

My amp is able to have up to 2 inputs. The first is my computer and the second is the amazon dot. Whenever i connect the dot to my amp, the volume from my computer is lowered to about half. The same thing happens if the second input is my phone or any other audio input device.

I read online that a mixer might be the thing i need but i'm not sure which mixer to get. Any recommendations or more explanations on how i could fix the problem would be great. I'm a complete audio novice so i'm quite lost.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks :)

Dec 31, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #3 of 3
Hey guys, just bought the amazon dot 2 during a sale on amazon but i've encountered some volume problems when i have multiple inputs into my dayton audio APA150 amplifier.

My amp is able to have up to 2 inputs.

What second input?
300-812_ALT_0.jpg

The first is my computer and the second is the amazon dot. Whenever i connect the dot to my amp, the volume from my computer is lowered to about half. The same thing happens if the second input is my phone or any other audio input device.

Chances are it's because one of them is not an input and sending a signal the wrong way affects how it works.

Mixer vs Amplifier difference..

Mixers usually have some kind of headphone amp but can take multiple inputs and have them coming through into several outputs simultaneously. An amp would be designed to drive either speakers or headphones (or both, but the quality of the latter circuit might sometimes not be all that good).

I read online that a mixer might be the thing i need but i'm not sure which mixer to get. Any recommendations or more explanations on how i could fix the problem would be great. I'm a complete audio novice so i'm quite lost.

You don't need a full blown mixer, just a passive switcher. Get the Schiit Sys, hook up sources to the two inputs, output to the APA150, and just permanently set it to max volume. It's passive so max isn't boosting, just not attenuating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back