Mission Impossible?
Nov 7, 2014 at 7:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Fighterboy89

New Head-Fier
Once upon a time, I bought Maxell AMP-B blue headphones and I love the sound but hate the ergonomics.
Then I became an audiophile and bought the FiiO E10K and the Schiit Asgard 2. No regrets so far.
In my search for the perfect headphone, it came down to 2 (or 3).

Being praised so much (and I can understand why), I bought the Sennheiser HD 600. Lovely sound, king of clarity, but I still needed more bass.
Bought the HD 650, lost a bit of clarity (dark/veil) and bass was STILL not enough. Very relaxed headphone though, it was cool.
My 3rd hunt lead me to the HiFiMan HE-400's. Planar magnetics are awesome!!! Dare I say these headphones are perfect if it wasn't for the slightly harsh highs.
Aaaaand the weight which makes me sad. 
frown.gif

I'll make this a TL;DR right away, I need more rumble, more punch more bass. 
basshead.gif

My 4th pair of cans MUST

1) be OPEN, sound-stage on closed cans sux ass imo sounds like everything is inside the head.

2) be circumaural, everything else just hurts or feels weird.

3) have an unplug-able cable

3) be as durable as the HD 600/650 or HE-400

4) be as light as the HD 600/650

5) at least have as much low end and infrasonic rumble as the HE-400

6) retain clarity and wonderful mids of HD 600

OPTIONAL: Planar magnetic technology, slick look, plush velour, heavenly cushioned ergonomics.

I know I'm asking for a lot but there's got to be something out there! 
confused.gif

EDIT: 7) $500 max, I'm a poor audiophile on minimum wage lol...

EDIT 2: So far the only candidates are Philips Fidelio X1 and X2

Nov 8, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #6 of 14
Hifiman 400i, haven't heard them or even knew they existed lol but I was in another thread and they were mentioned and also saw some reviews on here. Apparently they improve on the HE-400 in important ways(no harsh highs and reduce the weight).

For stuff I have heard, Fidelio X1 continues to be my favorite headphone. Bassy and clean, I like it more than HD650 and HE-400 fwiw. The new X2 just came out I think but it supposedly had less bass so I think that's a no go for people like us. Shure 1540 doesn't sound very closed to me, and in fact it has a bigger soundstage than HD650 to me with much better and more bass, real good impact. Comfy with creamy mids too.

Nov 8, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #7 of 14
Hifiman 400i, haven't heard them or even knew they existed lol but I was in another thread and they were mentioned and also saw some reviews on here. Apparently they improve on the HE-400 in important ways(no harsh highs and reduce the weight).

For stuff I have heard, Fidelio X1 continues to be my favorite headphone. Bassy and clean, I like it more than HD650 and HE-400 fwiw. The new X2 just came out I think but it supposedly had less bass so I think that's a no go for people like us. Shure 1540 doesn't sound very closed to me, and in fact it has a bigger soundstage than HD650 to me with much better and more bass, real good impact. Comfy with creamy mids too.

Woah, the Fidelio X1 looks nice! Thanks!!

I'm just curious how does it compare to HE-400? Because I think from my personal experience nothing beats planars when it comes to bass. They just sound so good and they're so fast.

Nov 8, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #8 of 14
I had the 650 and HE-400 at the same time and returned the Hifiman due to the mids being more or less crap(IMO)and the highs were too strident for me, also very heavy. I find the X1 to be a compromise of both, bassier and tighter(so not as slow) as 650, and less harsh than HE-400 but with more treble presence than 650. With "thicker" more natural mids than Hifiman mids but not as rich or detailed as 650 in the mids. All in all I find it very enjoyable and a good compromise between all the other midfi heavy hitters and definitely my favorite one of the lot.

Nov 8, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #9 of 14
Philips Fidelio X1 or X2 seems ideal for you, or maybe the Beyerdynamic DT 880 250 ohm.

Nov 8, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #10 of 14
I had the 650 and HE-400 at the same time and returned the Hifiman due to the mids being more or less crap(IMO)and the highs were too strident for me, also very heavy. I find the X1 to be a compromise of both, bassier and tighter(so not as slow) as 650, and less harsh than HE-400 but with more treble presence than 650. With "thicker" more natural mids than Hifiman mids but not as rich or detailed as 650 in the mids. All in all I find it very enjoyable and a good compromise between all the other midfi heavy hitters and definitely my favorite one of the lot.

Philips Fidelio X1 or X2 seems ideal for you, or maybe the Beyerdynamic DT 880 250 ohm.

OMG, I just checkout reviews for the X1 and X2. I really hope the sound is what the reviews are saying. I'm adding these two on my list for now. Honestly, those two pairs seem to be the only that fit my specific criteria so far.

Nov 8, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #13 of 14
DT880 have no bass in comparison. Get the X1 IMO, if that doesn't satisfy you then you are a certified basshead and you need closed headphones with big stage like the Shures

Oh that's interesting, ight. The fidelio's are the last open headphone i give chance because tbh, I'm kind of desperate at this point and closed ones are not THAT bad I might have exaggerated with my requirements lol silly me niche freak 
rolleyes.gif

Thanks again man, I'm stoked for the 4th time now lol unboxing and shiieeet 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back