Minimum For Sale posting requirements
May 15, 2010 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

markkr

1000+ Head-Fier
Please vote: submit feedback as necessary

I believe we should have minimum requirements.

May 15, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #3 of 45
Great idea. I totally agree. I hate seeing all these extremely vague posts that give no mention about condition, age or location.
I also hate it when pics are not added but i understand that not everyone may have acces to a camera.

So i would be up for making some requirements.

May 15, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #4 of 45

Quote:

Because allowing anyone to come here and sell without any pre-req's, invites scammers to sell bad or fake equipment here. I haven't been scammed here but I know its coming... Its frustrating to see the FS forums so cluttered up with this stuff. Most other forums have a requirement for selling... we should too... just my opinion.

May 15, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #5 of 45
Post count related requirements will just invite more nonsense on the forums.

Maybe a requirement such as "you must have been a member for a month (or two) before you can access the FS forums". 

EDIT: And since we're on the topic, what about a separate WTB sub-forum, that way we dont need to see all these WTB ads in the FS sections.

May 15, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #6 of 45

THAT is the ticket - not post count.  Join date.  No FS posts for 1 month.  That is all it would take.  People who are joining just to sell stuff won't bother if there is that rule.  Post count requirements just yield useless posts, I agree.

Quote:

Maybe a requirement such as "you must have been a member for a month (or two) before you can access the FS forums". 

May 15, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #7 of 45

Quote:

EDIT: And since we're on the topic, what about a separate WTB sub-forum, that way we dont need to see all these WTB ads in the FS sections.

A WTB sub forum is an excellent idea.

May 15, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #8 of 45
There are two ways to go about this: The first is to lock things down so thoroughly that scamming is extremely difficult.  Make the Trading Forums non-public, limit them to people who have been members for at least a few months and have at least a few posts, require original pictures, a price, location, etc.  That works...but it's a huge PITA for moderators to enforce, especially as people don't read rules, don't obey them and then complain when their threads are deleted.

The other way is for people to use common sense.  Not that I like seeing people scammed at all, but we aren't babies here, we are adults, and if people can't make intelligent decisions when buying, that is their problem.

May 15, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #11 of 45
jjinh is right.
requiring a wait period before selling is more in line.
what you're trying to do is weed out the people who don't have the best of intentions.
and who only join the forum because it's a "specialized" craig's list.

May 15, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #12 of 45
anybody other than me hate the whole "interest check" crap?
i mean, if you're gonna sell it, sell it.
if you're gonna keep it, keep it.

May 15, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #13 of 45
What was the requirement previously? I think it was 50 posts but I don't remember if there was a time requirement.

In any case, I think forcing a one month or so waiting period before giving access to the FS forums is a good idea. I think not requiring posts at all is not such a good idea though, as people can just set up an account and come once the time requirement is up. Something small, maybe 10 or 20 should do. It would at least introduce them to some of the community.

Maybe enforce rules on FS threads as well, such as description detail, pictures, whatever else. For instance, if someone breaks the rules a few times, they will be temporarily banned from the FS forums.

It is true that as buyers, we should be careful and not expect the system to watch out for us. It's also true that no matter how many restrictions, limits, etc. we set, scammers may still show up.
IMO it will still help to have some prerequisites. It'll weed out a few people looking to make a quick buck.

May 15, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #14 of 45

Quote:
anybody other than me hate the whole "interest check" crap?
i mean, if you're gonna sell it, sell it.
if you're gonna keep it, keep it.

My sentiments exactly. When I see 'IC,' it's sort of iffy, and eventually they end up selling said item anyways, making the practice redundant. However, getting rid of it completely might be a bit drastic. There are probably users who like the idea of an interest check.

Quote:
What was the requirement previously? I think it was 50 posts but I don't remember if there was a time requirement.

In any case, I think forcing a one month or so waiting period before giving access to the FS forums is a good idea. I think not requiring posts at all is not such a good idea though, as people can just set up an account and come once the time requirement is up. Something small, maybe 10 or 20 should do. It would at least introduce them to some of the community.

It does seem like these two prerequisites, in conjuction with each other, would be a great solution. In a sense, they can cover the other method's shortcomings.

May 15, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #15 of 45
I dont think it matters, I bought a Denon AH-D2000 from a person that has not even have more than 10 post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back