Mini SF Bay Area meet
Nov 1, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #166 of 187
I can try to get some name tags if would help. Also as I've never been to one of these before what should I bring? my headphones, laptop, and amp? I don't have a dac or any audio player or music on my laptop. So I could steam from pandora or bring cds.

Cheers

*sorry didn't realize there was more than 1 x10. I have sony mdr-x10 (got them new for 100 so don't laugh. Lol)

Nov 1, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #167 of 187
While you guys are listening to headphones, I'll be dancing with people at homecoming dance
wink_face.gif

Nov 1, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #168 of 187
Sorry guys, I'm not going to make it tomorrow. Have fun.

Aww, that's too bad.

We'll miss you.

See you at the February meet then?

Maybe I missed something but there seems to be ~25 people on the list for a ~15 person room. If the host is okay than it's all cool, I just don't want to be taking advantage of their offer to host the meet.

Well, the list is there as a ballpark figure. Some people may not be able to make it (I'd guess that almost half the list), and not all of them can stay the entire duration.

And I'm trying to not leave out anyone who may be potentially interested.

I can try to get some name tags if would help. Also as I've never been to one of these before what should I bring? my headphones, laptop, and amp? I don't have a dac or any audio player or music on my laptop. So I could steam from pandora or bring cds.

Cheers

*sorry didn't realize there was more than 1 x10. I have sony mdr-x10 (got them new for 100 so don't laugh. Lol)

Well, please bring CDs or something that contains music if you'd like to try other people's sources. Otherwise, please just bring what you normally use to listen. There is no "right" or "wrong" source, after all.

While you guys are listening to headphones, I'll be dancing with people at homecoming dance
wink_face.gif

Oh man, you make me feel so inadequate already! Hahaha.

Have fun, dude. I'm sure we'll meet again soon. It's already November. 3 months away from the big meet!

Nov 2, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #169 of 187
  Well, the list is there as a ballpark figure. Some people may not be able to make it (I'd guess that almost half the list), and not all of them can stay the entire duration.

Case in point, I'll be there, but probably about a half hour to an hour late.  I plan to bring:

Burson Soloist
Bottlehead Crack+Speedball
HRT MS II and HRT MS II+
Sennheiser HD650
Hifiman HE500
Mad Dog 3.2

Nov 2, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #175 of 187
I've been trying to shake a cold that's lasted a week now to no avail. I still have a persistent cough, so not going to be able to make it today to avoid infecting everyone at the meet. Bugger, it would've been nice to hang out, at least for a bit. You guys have fun, and take lots of pictures! 

Nov 2, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #176 of 187
wink_face.gif

Oh man, you make me feel so inadequate already! Hahaha.

Have fun, dude. I'm sure we'll meet again soon. It's already November. 3 months away from the big meet!

Hehe. Do you happen to know who's planning it next year?(is it you!?)

Nov 3, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #177 of 187
Well, that was fun.  TIL -- my source (HRT MSII+) is decent, but I'd like to do better.  I have a Geek Out and a Geek Pulse on order (got in at $119 and $199, respectively), so I'll see how those pan out before making any other moves.

I did like the Woo Audio WA7 and the Yulong Sabre DA8.  As always, a pleasure to hear the HD800 and the HE-6... but I'm pretty happy with what I'm getting out of the HE-500, and I'm liking it paired with the Burson Soloist.

Nov 3, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #178 of 187
Hello Everyone,

Had a great time meeting and chatting with everyone this Saturday.  Sorry, I don't have any pics, but here are the results of my impromptu survey.  For those who did not attend this weekend, here's a little background:

These events are the perfect setting for sharing information among members by way of presentations or hands on workshops, and they product an opportunity to find out more about our own listening habits.  I thought it might be interesting to find out how loud we typically listen to music on a daily basis, so I conducted a small an unscientific survey that asked the question:

How loud do you listen to music?

For this survey, all participants were first asked to provide an estimate of their typical listening level in dB.  That value was recorded, if known.  Then each participant listened to the music selection (see below) for 60 seconds, during which time they were allowed to adjust the level to one they felt was representative of their average normal listening level.  Lastly, without changing the volume level just set by the participant, the reference level test track was played back and measured using an analog Radio Shack Sound Pressure Level (SPL) meter C-Weighted reading.  What follows are the results of this anonymous survey.

Survey Results
Participant Number  Estimated Listening Level (dB)Measured Listening Level (dBC)
1Unknown85
4Unknown85
6Unknown76
9Unknown66
11Unknown80
12Unknown72

As you can see from the table, a total of 12 participants were measured.  The lowest reading recorded in the survey was 66 dBC and the highest was 91.5 dBC. 

So what does this mean and why should you care?  In a nutshell, prolonged exposure to noise at high volume level can lead to hearing loss.  The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) lists as an example a Band Class as having a sound intensity of 90 dB, and suggests a recommended exposure limit of 2 hours for repeated exposures.  For more information on Recommended Exposure Limits from the CDC, follow this link How Much Noise Is Too Much?

To wrap things up, I'd like to thank everyone who participated in the survey.  Send me a PM if you'd like me so send you a copy of your results.  I hope this was an enjoyable, engaging and potentially educational activity for everyone.  I know I had a good time conducting the survey and meeting everyone this weekend.

Thank you

Equipment:
Logitech Squeezebox Touch (FLAC) --> Benchmark Media DAC1 PRE --> Woo Audio WA5-LE --> Sennheiser HD800

Music Selection:
Jamaica Heartbeat on Back on the Case by Acoustic Alchemy

Reference Level Test Signal:
1 KHz / one third octave warble tone at -20dB from Stereophile Test CD1

Measuring Equipment:
Radio Shack Sound Level Meter (Analog readout)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back