Nov 17, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #31 of 74
Quote:
SR007 MK1 in both positions 3 @ 5.

Are they bipolar?

Sorry, but the night confuses me
smile_phones.gif

I thought MKI third position and fifth for MKII

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #32 of 74
Thank you MacedonianHero and Rudi for your answers.

I note several points in common. For both the first and second place are indisputable
and then come the HD800 on dynamics. What is your difference between the LCD3 and the HD800?

Gracias

Nov 17, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #33 of 74
Quote:
Thank you MacedonianHero and Rudi for your answers.

I note several points in common. For both the first and second place are indisputable
and then come the HD800 on dynamics. What is your difference between the LCD3 and the HD800?

Gracias

The difference is quite huge....sorry I don't have the time to fully outline them, but I can really say that by owning both, you'd have all of your bases covered. 

That said, or just pick up an SR-009 and have all of your bases covered with one headphone. 
smile.gif

Nov 17, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #34 of 74
The difference is quite huge....sorry I don't have the time to fully outline them, but I can really say that by owning both, you'd have all of your bases covered. 

That said, or just pick up an SR-009 and have all of your bases covered with one headphone. :smile:

The different between HD 800 and LCD 3 as follow :

HD 800 soundstage wider than LCD 3, the midrange a bit grainy , the bass body is not as full body as LCD 3 .
LCD 3 has better tonal balance , Better in midrange more clear and clean

If HD 800 Sq not so grainy , could be on the 1st place dynamic driver .

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #35 of 74
[size=10pt]Dear Asr & Stax Friends,[/size]
[size=10pt]Asr - Thanks for your detailed and informative review, even though I  suggest to  " agreeing to disagree" - as my conclusion from my own test was just the opposite... ![/size]
As other users stated, the quality , type of source and  - foremost, personal taste  - will probably make or brake such a decision.

[size=10pt]Please allow, to include here my own short write-up (see my threadwith the title “I can resist anything but temptation”)[/size]

==============

Dear STAX friends,
Actually I was quite happy with my current head phone rig, the SR 007 & SRM-007t Mk2 driver.
But, life happens to be anything but predictable, especially while reading in this very forum, and later "googeling" , whether one of those new and fancy  “009” phones might  be available in Switzerland. Hence  I stumbled over this one dealer I haven’t heard of …and he appeared to have a 009 on stock.
(I should add, that my former trusted STAX dealer died a few years ago, and no new dealership was established in Switzerland.)

Therefore curiosity started to stretch its dangerous little finger…..I thought, what the heck, let’s just go and listen to this elusive new 009 …
I packed my 007 and my second rig, the R-10  ( …You never know, it’s just for comparison or so…) and of course my usual collection of “test” CDs ( no, none of the audiophile variety, just my preferred music !!)
My first ear full, with the SR-009, also driven by the SRM-007t Mk2 at the dealers place let me kind of less than enthusiastic.
Compared  to my 007 phones,  my beloved Cecilia Bartoli sounded rather  “sharp”, even though the transparency of instruments and her beautiful mezzo voice was astounding. I agree, most of my Bartoli  CDs (Decca) tended to sound rather Digital…
Anyway: I noticed, there was also a conventional dynamic headphone amp ready to use…so I plugged my R-10 into the eternal Arts OTL  tube amp.  And to my surprised, the R-10 sounded sort of similar to 009 and not, as I tended to believe,  like a 007 (well, to err is human..)

A change of CD, with the marvellous Ray Brown, double bass and Laurindo Almeida on guitar with their amazing interpretation of Beethovens moonlight Sonatas gave a totally new sonic image:
The 009 started to glow, gone was any “digitalises” and the transparency, paired with a for me yet unheard of “life-like atmosphere” were too much to resist……
A few CDs later, the verdict was clear …(see title line)

At home the case was even more than clear cut. On  my NAIM System, and especially with the Turntable, the 009 was the best musical reproduction instrument I have heard so far.
Needless to say: A few months later I still cherish my purchase; but I like to express a piece of advice & warning.
The 009 may  threaten your Wealth,
(and due to  its absence of any distortion at even excess levels of loudness,)
it may also threaten your Health.

Well, this should  leave me in eternal musical happiness, except of course, there may be  -  just may be .. – some room for  improvements in terms of amp…
I may be tempted ----oh no , not again, I’ll be losing this one once again ---  To travel to Italy, where Rudistore reportedly introduced  an new version of his Electrostatic head phone amp ---or I max y try the  brand-new German Malvalve “Head Amp Three”, which combines both Dynamic & electrostatic outlet in one unit ….

Regards from Switzerland

Urs
================

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #36 of 74
Did not expect to see a list like this. Lots of great stuff there. 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
CD albums used for review:
- Alison Krauss & Union Station - So Long So Wrong, Paper Airplane
- Carlos Kleiber & VPO - Beethoven Symphonies 5 & 7
- Dave Brubeck - Time Out [Legacy Edition]
- Goldfrapp - Black Cherry
- Helloween - 7 Sinners
- In Flames - The Jester Race
- Julia Fischer - Bach Concertos
- Lee Morgan - Tom Cat [AudioWave/Blue Note XRCD]
- Massive Attack - Blue Lines, Mezzanine
- Megadeth - Countdown To Extinction [Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab]
- Meshuggah - Chaosphere
- Nicola Benedetti - Fantasie
- Orbital - Snivilisation, The Middle of Nowhere
- Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
- Radiohead - OK Computer
- Sierra Hull - Secrets, Daybreak
- The Crystal Method - Vegas [2007 Deluxe Edition]
- Tord Gustavsen - Changing Places
- Trifonic - Emergence

Dec 28, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #38 of 74
ASR,    as usual, I really appreciate your review of 009.  you are one of my most respected head-fiers ever!    

Like n3rdling,  I hate to disagree with you for the first time :)    I've owned OII mk1 and was deeply disappointed by its coloring of sound.  it is "magical" to some extent by distorting the sound to be more euphoric.  OIImk1, in my opinion,  is no where near the quality, realistic, neutral, natural, as 009.   The coloration and bloated mid-bass of OII mk1 is an absolutely no-no for me.   I know people hear different things,  I own/have owned  HE90, HE60, OIImk1, R10, HD800, T1,   for me,  009 is absolutely on top with HE90 in term of SQ.  

Jan 3, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #39 of 74
Quote:
ASR,    as usual, I really appreciate your review of 009.  you are one of my most respected head-fiers ever!    

Like n3rdling,  I hate to disagree with you for the first time :)    I've owned OII mk1 and was deeply disappointed by its coloring of sound.  it is "magical" to some extent by distorting the sound to be more euphoric.  OIImk1, in my opinion,  is no where near the quality, realistic, neutral, natural, as 009.   The coloration and bloated mid-bass of OII mk1 is an absolutely no-no for me.   I know people hear different things,  I own/have owned  HE90, HE60, OIImk1, R10, HD800, T1,   for me,  009 is absolutely on top with HE90 in term of SQ.  

So you like 009 more than R10s? Me too. I had R10s twice and now have 009s. (I also owned the Omega Mark 1s with the 007t amp for many years and did like their sense of presence and "right-there" sound a great deal.)

I also, like Asr, hear similarities in the perspective of the Omega mark 1 with the Fostex TH900s. Asr remarked that the 009 is more like being in the audience, whereas with the Omega Mark 1 it is almost from the perspective of the conductor.
I have noted here that the Fostex is a very intimate presentation, with the kind of detail you get from live sound from being relatively close to an instrument or someone singing, and that can be thrilling, and perhaps only headphones can do that.
The 009s are more of a traditional presentation, with medium size imaging, and they provide realistic distance and more  sense of a larger venue.
I believe both approaches are enjoyable, just in different ways.
The fascinating thing about the 009s is that they provide some distance along with deeply detailed rich texture.

Jan 7, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #40 of 74
Well, I agree with n3rdling. Thank you for bringing yours to the LA meet this summer.
At the meet the differences between the 007 and 009 were striking to me, "but not better". I really needed more time to listen.
Tonight, listening to my best well known music in the comfort of my home, the 009 sounds amazing. Although I really like the 007 Mk1, the new Stax elevates music to another level of clarity and realism that I did not expect. To say I am very happy with them is an understatement.
My next purchase will likely be the new baby Stax, not custom IEM's.
After that, finish my new KGSSHV.

Jan 8, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #44 of 74
There is a constant balancing act gong on between coloration and truthful sound in any headphone system.   I believe that with a speaker system, coloration is unnecessary; however with headphones, because the drivers are on your ears, there must be SOME softening and or manipulation of the sonics - or we would blow our ears off.  I just see no other way.  The coloration need not be a lot.  Each one of us must create that balancing act on our own.  However, if we put the neutral electronic equipment which is appropriate for the 007 behind the 009, there is a reasonable chance we may find it to revealing, and lacking any magic and or musicality.

Now the 007 already has that coloration built in and therefore just needs electronics with plenty of power and neutrality behind it to sound it's best.

The 009 is so much more neutral and revealing, and if there is not SOME coloration in the electronics behind it- it will be harsh directly on the ears unless listened to at low volumes.

To create the proper balance for the 009, I have found I need: 

1.  Tube DAC
2.  No upsampling, as it puts a hyperfocus on the higher frequencies.
3.  With computer audio- I use "Pure Music" as the transport from "memory play".  It smoothes things out and anchors the higher frequencies while sounding very very natural.

Copper IC's may be another option- to add some musicality and tame the high frequencies, although I have not chosen this option myself.

Just like the 007 needs specially tuned equipment behind it to sound it's best, so does the 009.  And when I found the right electronics for the 009, I was stunned at how beautiful it sounded.

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #45 of 74
To rsbrsvp: exactly. Often, with a lot of esteemed headphones I have said to myself: Jesus! Didn't the designer realize these drivers are an inch from my eardrums? What were they thinking?
Thankfully, in the last few years, this idea has finally taken hold, and I feel like it's kind of a golden age.
(And no, it's not my hearing, as I still have some of the offending near-yesteryear phones.)
And I also found that the 009 really needs a warmer upstream chain, including proper cabling and even power conditioning, and then it blooms.
(I don't have yours, but whatever works. I don't even have computer audio for mine or any equalization going on, but I see how it could help out.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back