Mini-Review: iBasso T3 portable amp
Dec 7, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #31 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by pj_rage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for this review!

I'm curious though... you mention that you like the iphone 3g/3gs output better than the T4, but you like the T3 better than the T4 also. I'm wondering how the T3 compares to the iphone 3g/3gs output? Is it even worth it if you'd be using it with the iphone 3g/3gs with a LOD? How about a D4... would this be a noticeable improvement over the iphone 3g/3gs headphone out? (I would be using with W3s - not full sized cans or anything).

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have an iPhone 3G or 3GS, and plan to run full size cans the T3 will be better than no amp as it will give more volume with the HD600 and HE-5. Or if you plan to use the UE 11Pro with the iPhone, then the T3 will be better because it keeps the heavy bass under better control. On the other hand, the T3 will give the ES3X and JH13Pro more bass than the iPhone headphone out, so if you like that then the T3 is still a good option.

I'm not sure there would be a big improvement with Westone 3, but I do have the 5G Nano, iPhone 3GS, T3 and Westone 3 with me at the car dealer having snow tires installed and I'll try to listen to that and report back if I have time (wife might be picking me up for lunch).

I don't have my replacement UM56 tips yet, and with the single flange silicone tips pushed in deeply the Westone 3 tend to sound slightly darker than with the UM56, with a little extra bass.

So far, with the Westone 3 and single flange silicone tips and 5G Nano headphone out vs the T3 amp using a clone of the jumbo cryo silver x LOD, there is a slight improvement in treble with the T3 but not a huge difference between the two in other areas.

In the T3 vs the iPhone with the W3 they sound fairly similar but there is a slight increase in both bass presence and also cleaner treble in the W3 with the T3 (like with the 5G Nano). This is good news because the T4 was not on par with the iPhone headphone out but the T3 keeps up. In the case of the W3 it improves the detail with the tips I am using (could be a whole different answer with different tips). Like with the ES3X and JH13pro, the slight bump in bass is not excessive, and the extra clarity with the W3 is appreciated.

Like I said above, there are circumstance where the T3 improves the sound over the iPhone with certain headphones or IEM that either need the extra power (HD600, HE-5), the extra bass control (UE 11Pro), or the increased bass (ES3X) that comes from handling low impedance phones better. Now with the W3 and the wrong tips it improves the treble too, and I prefer the T3 with LOD to the HP out.

Dec 7, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #33 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by prone2phone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thank you for the above information. do you think headsix would do that significantly better?

Can't say, as I haven't tried it recently. If memory serves me right, the Headsix is on a similar level of performance.

Dec 8, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #34 of 158
Quote:

I don't have my replacement UM56 tips yet, and with the single flange silicone tips pushed in deeply the Westone 3 tend to sound slightly darker than with the UM56, with a little extra bass.

So far, with the Westone 3 and single flange silicone tips and 5G Nano headphone out vs the T3 amp using a clone of the jumbo cryo silver x LOD, there is a slight improvement in treble with the T3 but not a huge difference between the two in other areas.

In the T3 vs the iPhone with the W3 they sound fairly similar but there is a slight increase in both bass presence and also cleaner treble in the W3 with the T3 (like with the 5G Nano). This is good news because the T4 was not on par with the iPhone headphone out but the T3 keeps up. In the case of the W3 it improves the detail with the tips I am using (could be a whole different answer with different tips). Like with the ES3X and JH13pro, the slight bump in bass is not excessive, and the extra clarity with the W3 is appreciated.

Like I said above, there are circumstance where the T3 improves the sound over the iPhone with certain headphones or IEM that either need the extra power (HD600, HE-5), the extra bass control (UE 11Pro), or the increased bass (ES3X) that comes from handling low impedance phones better. Now with the W3 and the wrong tips it improves the treble too, and I prefer the T3 with LOD to the HP out.

Thank you so much for taking the time to do these comparisons!

Do you suspect you would see similar results, if not better, from the using the D4 with the iphone/W3? Is there any reason not to assume that?

Dec 8, 2009 at 8:00 AM Post #35 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by pj_rage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you so much for taking the time to do these comparisons!

Do you suspect you would see similar results, if not better, from the using the D4 with the iphone/W3? Is there any reason not to assume that?

The D4 sounding better than the iPhone headphone out was never in question.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 8, 2009 at 12:10 PM Post #36 of 158
Quote:

The D4 sounding better than the iPhone headphone out was never in question.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Just what I needed to hear
very_evil_smiley.gif

Thanks again for your help!

Dec 8, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #37 of 158
I ended up ordering a Cowon S9 when I realized that finding a rockboxable Fuze may prove more difficult that I had anticipated (I thought they ALL worked!) and reading from the Rockbox the Fuze/Clip firmware is unstable and finicky about with SD cards it will work with...

Since the S9 does not have a line out, is there any point in pairing it with an amp other more power for the headphones that need it? I read a post stating that the S9 had some bass roll off and pairing it with an amp would fix that, but... if you are just amping from headphone out, wouldn't you just be amping a signal that already has the bass roll off?

Just curious on your opinion(s) on this.

Dec 8, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #38 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by mesasone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ended up ordering a Cowon S9 when I realized that finding a rockboxable Fuze may prove more difficult that I had anticipated (I thought they ALL worked!) and reading from the Rockbox the Fuze/Clip firmware is unstable and finicky about with SD cards it will work with...

Since the S9 does not have a line out, is there any point in pairing it with an amp other more power for the headphones that need it? I read a post stating that the S9 had some bass roll off and pairing it with an amp would fix that, but... if you are just amping from headphone out, wouldn't you just be amping a signal that already has the bass roll off?

Just curious on your opinion(s) on this.

Not necessarily, the bass roll-off is often a function of the headphone out feeding a lower impedance load than it can handle. Feeding a higher impedance load like an amp may improve that issue.

Dec 10, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #39 of 158
I have the AD700 and HD-25 1-II at the moment and I'm thinking about getting the T3 as my first amp. Mainly, my source will be my iPod (6G 120GB) + an iBasso CB03, eventually, so I want something portable. Alright, some questions:

Can anyone comment on the synergy between the T3 and Shure's SRH840? (These will most likely be my next headphones and I've read that most say these shine with/need a dedicated amp.)

Also, how do the four gain settings function with the T3 and what is the recommended setting? Does it depend on the impedance of the headphones, or is it just personal preference?

Thanks!

Dec 10, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #41 of 158
Yes the T3 has a volume control, it's just an analog as opposed to digital on the T3D. I don't think we've heard much about the T3D yet, it's supposed to be out there, but I don't think I've seen anybody post that they have it yet. Per iBasso, the T3 is supposed to be the (slightly) better sounding unit, but who knows...

Anybody know how many steps are on the digital volume control?

Dec 10, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #42 of 158
I prefer the T3 to the T3D. The T3 has a bit more open sound, more liquid and there is a slight edge on the high frequency not heard, by me, on the T3D. I really, really like the digital volume control and the way it works and the fact that you really can't accidently change it, like the Shadow, but it gives up a little on the sound. For walking around I like the T3D fine but for sitting down and really hearing well recorded music the T3 has the edge.

Dec 11, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #43 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler_c /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the AD700 and HD-25 1-II at the moment and I'm thinking about getting the T3 as my first amp. Mainly, my source will be my iPod (6G 120GB) + an iBasso CB03, eventually, so I want something portable. Alright, some questions:

Can anyone comment on the synergy between the T3 and Shure's SRH840? (These will most likely be my next headphones and I've read that most say these shine with/need a dedicated amp.)

Also, how do the four gain settings function with the T3 and what is the recommended setting? Does it depend on the impedance of the headphones, or is it just personal preference?

Thanks!

I'd love to know this as well.

Dec 11, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #44 of 158
Ordered my T3 last night, finally. I'm very encouraged by all the reports here, so I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back