Mini Meet Maastricht June the 3rd 2007
Jun 4, 2007 at 11:36 AM Post #16 of 91
Here's a few shots to start out with...

Maas2.jpg

Hans' (Qables) display next to Indra's gear

Maas3.jpg

Rik's sweet-sounding Analog Garage™ featuring gorgeous high-gloss Aurum Cantus ribbon-tweeter loudspeakers
500000033.gif

Maas4.jpg

Rik's K-1000s were as sublime as I remember from our last encounter!
k1000smile.gif
Heads-up, sports fans, I understand these might be hitting the classifieds soon...

Maas11.jpg

And here's EZ (Easy?, Eee-Zee?), the official Maastricht Meet dog!

Jun 4, 2007 at 11:43 AM Post #17 of 91
Cool pictures Dex! And thanks a lot for bringing the Ed9's, they were something special. Best closed headphone ever? Without a doubt. Best "regular" headphone ever? I'd say so... It sounded stunning out of a portable amp paired with an iPod. I'd like to see other headphones pull that one off.

Jun 4, 2007 at 12:14 PM Post #19 of 91
There were a couple of things I really wanted to hear. One was the Grado-sound. After reading so much about them I really wanted to check them out.
First one I tried was the SR60. I was kinda surprised by their sound. Very good for such small thing. Had to get used to how they fitted my head since I am only used to the circumaural ones.
I listened to Brothers In Arms with them and was real pleased with their sound. Had a larger headstage than I expected them to have. Real fun sound, quite warm and it was a musical experience.
When I compared them with the Proline 750 I found the Grado lacking in calmth of presentation. I think that if you would wear them for longer than 1 hour they will get you tired. The 750 are more relaxed and you can pinpoint each sound in the music. For me, that is what I like and want from a hp so the Grado's are nice and good but not my kind of sound.
I also tried the SR325's but there was some time between listening to them and the SR60 so I can't say what the true difference between the two was.
I also liked them but they had the same "disadvantage" to me as what I had already discovered with the SR60. They fitted more nicely on my head than the SR60 also I think because of them weighing more and being bigger.
When listening to the SR60 I threw some Sensation Black at them. The nice heavy dance music. God, they do suck with electronic music. It's like, I want to but I just can't.
Like you are listening from a distance to the music and I just like to be in it. When listening to that music I wanna get the feeling of wanting to dance on it. It just didn't do. So my guess is that they work very well with acoustic music and rock, but they can't handle the electronic side.
Since I don't want multiple hp's for each kind of music these will not be for me. But it was a great experience in finally checking them out and I like them better than for example the Senns I auditioned in the past and the DT770.

So, about the DT770 balanced that Rik brought. I remembered that I didn't like them on the previous meet so I was kinda interested in checking them out with these new mod.
I can be very short about this one....So incrediblly boring!! These are the most lame hp's I have ever heard. There is absolutely nothing going except for playing music. You totally don't feel involved with the music in what way so ever. I was listening to Dire Strait on vinyl from the setup from Rik and the voice of that guy is very beautiful. Not now though. All the detail from his voice had been wiped out and it just sounded flat. I think I listened to it for about 5 minutes and I just went completely dull so I took them off.

Same set-up with the same vinyl but now the K1000.
Wauw!!! If I ever would buy an open hp, the K1000 would definately come to my mind. The headstage is incredible, really well detailed and involving to listen to. The voice of the man sounded as I remember it ought to sound. You could hear the creaking of the vinyl real well wich was a nice add to the feeling! PERHAPS a little lacking in bass but it just didn't matter since they were so pleasant to listen to. I didn't miss it at all. Overall a well-defined hp wich I would consider buying if I were looking for such can. And the looks of it is absolutely great ofcourse! A bit of a science-fiction look to me, I like!!

I forgot to listen to the Portapros wich I also wanted to check out but I just forgot so maybe next time.

Last but definately not least, the Edition 9. It was one heck of a surprise when Dex told me he was bringing them to the meet. My dream came true!
Well, I am actually kinda speechless (maybe good cause I have the feeling this is already a long story
tongue.gif
). They were so good. the best I have ever heard without a doubt. Ofcourse, a full comparism I am unable to do since I couldn't listen to it all day long and even more. But I will definately put down my impressions.
First of all, damn...what an incredible headstage for a closed hp. So unbelievable wwwwiiiidddeee and spacious. That is a real impressive job from Ultrasone. I went outside with them were there was calmth and I sat on the edge with my Prolines next to them. I have a hard time describing what I heard though. Heaven to my ears for sure. I think after comparing the 2 a little, the quote from Alberto is not that bad: It is like removing a curtain from the Prolines. I mean, the Prolines are really very good at what they do and I thought brighter is impossible but I was wrong.
They are so clear and have a teriffic punch and sound so tight. The detail is greater than with the Prolines but at the same time I think they do sound more musical to me. I find it real hard for me to describe them properly and I think I will let Dex have the honour in writing a real review on these cans, also compared to the Prolines but my first impressions I got from these are unforgettable. And yes, I do consider buying them in the future but first things first so it will take a while.
When I do have the money to go for them I want to listen to other highend hps at around the same price and do a comparism and than make a final decision on them. It is a lot of money for a hp and I am still very pleased with the Prolines but damnnnnn they sound so bloody shoiting good!!!!
The time I had with them was real big fun to me and something to remember for long long time. Thank you Dex for sharing this! Something I never thought would happen on my meet! Ow yeah, and from the pics I have seen from the box.....they look so small in real life haha! On the pics the box looks so big!

Well, that was it I guess for now. It was a fun meet and I am glad everybody so far liked it. Sometimes indeed it was like Photo-Fi and that was quite enjoyable to see. I didn't find much time to participate in that cause there was so much.
Already looking forward to 8 july to come to Rik's place and have a fun day again!!
Thanx everyone!

Jun 4, 2007 at 12:19 PM Post #20 of 91
Nice pics Dex! Too bad I didn't pitch forward, cause than I would have been forced buying them
evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 4, 2007 at 12:24 PM Post #21 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, about the DT770 balanced that Rik brought. I remembered that I didn't like them on the prevuous meet so I was kinda interested in checking them out with these new mod.
I can be very short about this one....So incrediblly boring!! These are the most lame hp's I have ever heard. There is absolutely nothing going except for playing music. You totally don't feel involved with the music in what way so ever. I was listening to Dire Strait on vinyl from the setup from Rik and the voice of that guy is very beautiful. Not now though. All the detail from his voice had been wiped out and it just sounded flat. I think I listened to it for about 5 minutes and I just went completely dull so I took them off.

I agree with this -- they just aren't good headphones, balanced or not. They are muddy, dull, and slow things. Balancing improved their speed a bit, but they are still only good with movies....

Quote:

Same set-up with the same vinyl but now the K1000.
Wauw!!! If I ever would buy an open hp, the K1000 would definately come to my mind. The headstage is incredible, really well detailed and involving to listen to. The voice of the man sounded was as I remember it ought to sound. You could hear the creaking of the vinyl real well wich was a nice add to the feeling! PERHAPS a little lacking in bass but it just didn't matter since they were so pleasant to listen to. I didn't miss it at all. Overall a well-defined hp wich I would consider buying if I were looking for such can. And the looks of it is absolutely great ofcourse! A bit of a science-fiction look to me, I like!!

Good that you enjoyed them. They are amazing headphones and in my opinion surpass even the Edition 9 (though I'm just based against the Edition 9 because of the limited depth in soundstage.... and that's not something specific to the Ed9 but to all headphones. That is also why I vastly prefer the K1000 to the HE60 and Omega II).

Jun 4, 2007 at 12:28 PM Post #22 of 91
Quote:

Last but definately not least, the Edition 9. It was one heck of a surprise when Dex told me he was bringing them to the meet. My dream came true!
Well, I am actually kinda speechless (maybe good cause I have the feeling this is already a long story
tongue.gif
). They were so good. the best I have ever heard without a doubt. Ofcourse, a full comparism I am unable to do since I couldn't listen to it all day long and even more. But I will definately put down my impressions.
First of all, damn...what an incredible headstage for a closed hp. So unbelievable wwwwiiiidddeee and spacious. That is a real impressive job from Ultrasone. I went outside with them were there was calmth and I sat on the edge with my Prolines next to them. I have a hard time describing what I heard though. Heaven to my ears for sure. I think after comparing the 2 a little, the quote from Alberto is not that bad: It is like removing a curtain from the Prolines. I mean, the Prolines are really very good at what they do and I thought brighter is impossible but I was wrong.
They are so clear and have a teriffic punch and sound so tight. The detail is greater than with the Prolines but at the same time I think they do sound more musical to me. I find it real hard for me to describe them properly and I think I will let Dex have the honour in writing a real review on these cans, also compared to the Prolines but my first impressions I got from these are unforgettable. And yes, I do consider buying them in the future but first things first so it will take a while.
When I do have the money to go for them I want to listen to other highend hps at around the same price and do a comparism and than make a final decision on them. It is a lot of money for a hp and I am still very pleased with the Prolines but damnnnnn they sound so bloody shoiting good!!!!
The time I had with them was real big fun to me and something to remember for long long time. Thank you Dex for sharing this! Something I never thought would happen on my meet! Ow yeah, and from the pics I have seen from the box.....they look so small in real life haha! On the pics the box looks so big!

I have to agree, the soundstage is very wide indeed. At no point can you hear that it's a closed headphone. It has, besides the K1000, the widest soundstage I've heard yet. Heck, in sheer width, it's wider than speakers.
I also agree on how clear they sound. Little details in the highs that are lost on most headphones are perfectly audible. Fantastic headphones, and like I said earlier, very easy on source and amps.

Quote:

Well, that was it I guess for now. It was a fun meet and I am glad everybody so far liked it. Sometimes indeed it was like Photo-Fi and that was quite enjoyable to see. I didn't find much time to participate in that cause there was so much.
Already looking forward to 8 july to come to Rik's place and have a fun day again!!
Thanx everyone!

8th of July, be there baby! I can't promise I'll serve headphone shaped bread or squid though....
biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2007 at 12:29 PM Post #23 of 91
Thank you all for a wonderful meet! There were great people to meet, great headphones to try and lovely foodstuffs to eat
biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2007 at 12:31 PM Post #24 of 91
Quote:

Nice pics Dex! Too bad I didn't pitch forward, cause than I would have been forced buying them
evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Naturally, my concern was entirely for your own personal safety, my dear!
wink.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

OK, here's some more. The Edition 9s appeared to have made lots of new friends!
edition9mp6.png

Maas7.jpg

Ultrasone Ground Zero. Source: Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD 4000 Reference. Amplification: Heed Audio CanAmp

Maas6.jpg

New kid on the block.

Maas1.jpg

Maas12.jpg

Maas5.jpg

Maas15.jpg

Jun 4, 2007 at 12:37 PM Post #25 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to agree, the soundstage is very wide indeed. At no point can you hear that it's a closed headphone. It has, besides the K1000, the widest soundstage I've heard yet. Heck, in sheer width, it's wider than speakers.
I also agree on how clear they sound. Little details in the highs that are lost on most headphones are perfectly audible. Fantastic headphones, and like I said earlier, very easy on source and amps.

I think they are even more easy to drive than the 750. Never thought they would actually sound good out of a GoVibe and an Ipod. I found that real stunning. Would make the perfect portable hp. They did sound better out of the Heed but difficult to say, since I was also listening to different music wich I hadn't heard before.
I have never found it pleasing to listen to Abba, but with the ed9's I have to say, they shed a new light on this foursome! Marvelously produced stuff.

Quote:

8th of July, be there baby! I can't promise I'll serve headphone shaped bread or squid though....
biggrin.gif

You bet I / we will be there!!! Looking forward already. Forget about the squid and stuff, I do hope you still will have the K1000 by then.....
tongue.gif

Jun 4, 2007 at 12:39 PM Post #26 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Firestarter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you all for a wonderful meet! There were great people to meet, great headphones to try and lovely foodstuffs to eat
biggrin.gif

Thanx! Nice to see you over here!

Jun 4, 2007 at 12:41 PM Post #27 of 91
Quote:

I think they are even more easy to drive than the 750. Never thought they would actually sound good out of a GoVibe and an Ipod. I found that real stunning. Would make the perfect portable hp. They did sound better out of the Heed but difficult to say, since I was also listening to different music wich I hadn't heard before.
I have never found it pleasing to listen to Abba, but with the ed9's I have to say, they shed a new light on this foursome! Marvelously produced stuff.

"The Edition 9, making bad music sound good!"
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

You bet I / we will be there!!! Looking forward already. Forget about the squid and stuff, I do hope you still will have the K1000 by then.....
tongue.gif

I won't, but Chimpie will be there who has one.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 4, 2007 at 12:44 PM Post #28 of 91
Ow yeahhh, I would also like to thank the people who silently slipped a donation into the jar. I would also like to thank the people who offered me a donation wich I really wanted to turn down, cause it was such nice experience, worth all the money! Thanx to all of you who made this already beautiful day even more gorgeous.

Jun 4, 2007 at 12:45 PM Post #29 of 91
Quote:

"The Edition 9, making bad music sound good!"
evil_smiley.gif

LOL!!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

I won't, but Chimpie will be there who has one.
smily_headphones1.gif

Good enough for me
smily_headphones1.gif

I really would like to hear them again.

Jun 4, 2007 at 12:47 PM Post #30 of 91
Quote:

Ow yeahhh, I would also like to thank the people who silently slipped a donation into the jar. I would also like to thank the people who offered me a donation wich I really wanted to turn down, cause it was such nice experience, worth all the money! Thanx to all of you who made this already beautiful day even more gorgeous.

blink.gif

I am very ashamed to say I completely forgot. The excitement of all the toys and the new lens must've left me braindead. If yesterday ended up with a negative balance, please let me know and I'll happily help.
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back