Mini Meet at Eddie Current 9/15
Sep 18, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #31 of 57
I'm guessing the stock of custom Tango transformers that Craig had are extinct but Tango still makes transformers and still willing to do custom jobs.... so perhaps it can be revived.

But here's this transformer shootout:
http://www.meta-gizmo.com/tri/vtv-se.html

I think JP was talking about. I think Magnequest is mentioned in here along with Audio Note/Tango/Tamura.

Also there's this shootout with this Chinese made transformer that's 2 percent Cobalt/78-80 percent nickel:
http://www.vt4c.com/teach_room/choose_transformer.html

Sep 18, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #33 of 57
So, what is that EC 84? Any more info on the HD2? Looks like a great meet guys. I'm happy to hear that guzziguy only slightly preferred the L3000 to his K340... makes me think that I might survive the experience with my wallet intact.
340smile.gif

Sep 18, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #34 of 57
EC84 should be a I think balanced EL84 using amp that is transformer coupled? Or transformer output I forget which. If its the one I am thinking of then it will be priced around 1300 for balanced.

Sep 18, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #35 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm guessing the stock of custom Tango transformers that Craig had are extinct but Tango still makes transformers and still willing to do custom jobs.... so perhaps it can be revived.

But here's this transformer shootout:
http://www.meta-gizmo.com/tri/vtv-se.html

I think JP was talking about. I think Magnequest is mentioned in here along with Audio Note/Tango/Tamura.

Also there's this shootout with this Chinese made transformer that's 2 percent Cobalt/78-80 percent nickel:
http://www.vt4c.com/teach_room/choose_transformer.html

actually Dan Tango went out of business in August of 2000 if you want an original Tango you have to scrounge on the used market. There was a company founded by ex tango employees after the original company went under but I am uncertain as to their current status Don't you work for a search engine
icon10.gif

Sep 18, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #36 of 57
Okay fine, I did my own googling ;p I guess what I had heard was erroneous. Tamura is still in business though and it looks like Tango engineers is working with http://myweb.hinet.net/home3/jianshin/.

Sep 18, 2007 at 5:30 PM Post #37 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, what is that EC 84? Any more info on the HD2? Looks like a great meet guys. I'm happy to hear that guzziguy only slightly preferred the L3000 to his K340... makes me think that I might survive the experience with my wallet intact.
340smile.gif

well rather than get into it too deep right after the meet I went out and purchased L-3000s, same day after driving 364 miles and 5 hours in a car, I drove to Berkeley and handed over a sizable check for these. Not to say the k340s aren't great , they are, but the leatherheads are a nice step up and should be given the rather large gap in price.

Quote:

EC84 should be a I think balanced EL84 using amp that is transformer coupled? Or transformer output I forget which. If its the one I am thinking of then it will be priced around 1300 for balanced.

This is not a balanced amp it is single ended. those are not el84 they are 509s (?) the faceplate was made up when Craig was prototyping an el84 but after extensive listening he thought this tube was sonically superior. This amp did k1000s out of a 4pin front panel jack, single ended phones and has speaker posts on the rear for speakers but they need to be somewhat efficient.

Dan you have an open invite to pop on by and hear the amp just let me know.

Sep 18, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #38 of 57
Ah when I talked to him he had mentioned EL34s I guess it has since changed kind of like the output tubes on your own amp into the badass 6c33. Always improving things, that Craig.

I talked to my pal who is more in the know and he said actually there's a new tango which is inferior but also Thomas aka tube-lover from diy audio has the original company manuals and can reproduce them to spec whether that means they will be exactly the same or not I dunno. He is also behind the Daburu line which my second link before references.

Sep 18, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #39 of 57
Nice pics and impressions guys! Jon, you gotta get craig to change that silver jack out for a black one man, it's all about continuity!

And does the HD-2 have balanced inputs?

Sep 18, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #40 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well rather than get into it too deep right after the meet I went out and purchased L-3000s, same day after driving 364 miles and 5 hours in a car, I drove to Berkeley and handed over a sizable check for these. Not to say the k340s aren't great , they are, but the leatherheads are a nice step up and should be given the rather large gap in price.

Or what I found... L3000 completely crushes the Austrian hybrids
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 18, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #41 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice pics and impressions guys! Jon, you gotta get craig to change that silver jack out for a black one man, it's all about continuity!

And does the HD-2 have balanced inputs?

balanced output and input
icon10.gif
yes I guess a black 4pins would be a nice touch. Craig actually made me a dress plate but I like the look as it is.

Nate I firmly beleive this amp competes at the 5-6K price range and it has completely snuffed out my desire to get the Airtight 300b or the Coincident MKll 300b amp. I was days away from sending my money in for one of those and after hearing what Craig has done with this amp I'm done. You will have to pry this amp from my cold dead hands
blink.gif

Sep 18, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #42 of 57
Sep 18, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #43 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not having heard any of those amps makes it hard for me to have an accurate frame of reference. If I ever get a chance to try the L3000's balanced on my amp, we'll see how they stack up.
wink.gif

EDIT: Ah, I didn't think that EC 84 looked balanced [despite the 4 pin XLR], unless those are dual pentodes and there is another tube hidden somewhere.

EDIT2: Are those two tubes at the back of the HD2 the input tubes, or are they rectifiers or regulators?

Sep 18, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #44 of 57
Quote:

With Tango out of business that makes getting this amp (http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ube&1194912658) even more desirable for me as a K1K amp, but ;p I'm kinda rigged out atm and I don't even have a pair.

2a3s at 3watts just do not have the power to give the k1000s the juice they need. I had the Moth 2a3 and while it was stunning with certain speakers and with headphones it ran out of juice with the k1000s, not bad just not enough power to hear these at their best. I would be less focused on the transformers, yes they are important but there are a more than enought high quality transformers out there. I would not go 2a3 as I would want a minimum of 6 really high quality watts to handle peaks. Reading the VTV article you could easily go ElectraPrint, Tamura or any number of custom wound transformers and get similar results.

Personally my next k1000 amp for my second rig once the listening room wiring is completed will be either a custom 300b from Craig (if he'll build it) or the RedHat balanced amp that is still in design stages. I have heard the single ended version of this amp at home and at Craig's and it's an amazing amp. That amp configured similar (inputs/outputs, multi inputs, transformer balanced) would be my choice to compliment the HD2.

Sep 18, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #45 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not having heard any of those amps makes it hard for me to have an accurate frame of reference. If I ever get a chance to try the L3000's balanced on my amp, we'll see how they stack up.
wink.gif

EDIT: Ah, I didn't think that EC 84 looked balanced [despite the 4 pin XLR], unless those are dual pentodes and there is another tube hidden somewhere.

EDIT2: Are those two tubes at the back of the HD2 the input tubes, or are they rectifiers or regulators?

it's not that was a misnomer that was stated earlier in the thread, it is single ended with a 4 pin up front for the k1000s.

Bring the McBeast to CanJam 08 my leatherheads will be 4 pinned by them. I love the look of that amp Jason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back