Mini Meet at Eddie Current 9/15
Sep 16, 2007 at 10:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

jp11801

aka JP-nums or JP-numbers
Lead Organizer for Can Jam '09
Since I was driving down from San Francisco to pick up my revamped HD-2 amp after DHL used it for soccer practice Craig of Eddie Current hosted a mini meet while I was there. In attendance were , Craig, David (909), Ken (Guzziguy) and me(jp11801).
First off I have to gush over my amp Craig when he got it back after being damaged also spent time going over the amp and made some revisions that have taken it to another level. The amp is absolutely amazing with everything I have thrown at it k1000, k340s, rs1s, L-3000s and speakers. The amp will act as a high end balanced headphone amp, single ended hp amp, it's amazing as a pre easily bettering the Audio Research I previously owned and is a great intergrated amp powering high efficiency speakers. Right now I am jamming out to my super hemps while typing this. At 12o'clock it is driving them to very satisfing levels. I have owned and listed to many amps and it truely is my favorite amp I have owned or heard
biggrin.gif

Ok enough about the HD, you'll hear more about this amp later in the month when I do a full review of it. Also at the meet were the always excellent Moth 2a3 amp, a protoype amp from Craig that has similar functionality as my amp just at more of an intermediate level and Ken brought along his SinglePower Extreme Platinum and some tube adaptors. David had his Reimayo (sp) cd player with him that alwasys drops jaws when people hear it. This is the ONLY cdp that I have heard that can give analog a run for its money.
For headphones we had RS-1s, AT L-3000s, k1000s and K340s. THe k1000s are totally nude having had both outer and inner screens removed. I am abit perplexed at myself for having done it as they are now super fragile but they do sound better.

Here is a pic, impressions to come later I am totally wiped out having driven down there yesterday and turned it backaround at 7am this am

meetatcraigs.jpg

Sep 17, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #3 of 57
That is some serious gushing, especially given that you are claiming the HD2 is better than MY AMP!!!
tongue.gif

But seriously, I am psyched to hear that the new, improved HD2 is living up to all your expectations and dreams, even. The improvements start with powering K1Ks and speakers now, but it sounds like they don't end before nirvana.

I hope 909 and guzziguy will pipe up and tell me if I should really be *that* jealous, especially because I will not be able to hear this thing for at least a week or two.
eek.gif

Grats, my friend.

Sep 17, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #4 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is some serious gushing, especially given that you are claiming the HD2 is better than MY AMP!!!
tongue.gif

But seriously, I am psyched to hear that the new, improved HD2 is living up to all your expectations and dreams, even. The improvements start with powering K1Ks and speakers now, but it sounds like they don't end before nirvana.

I hope 909 and guzziguy will pipe up and tell me if I should really be *that* jealous, especially because I will not be able to hear this thing for at least a week or two.
eek.gif

Grats, my friend.

I'm sure Satan Devious Sonics is safe
evil_smiley.gif
butt you Moth and the Zanden are up for a run, althought the leatherheads were delicious with this amp. I really would welcome other members to listen to amp as I would like to get opinions for the community outside of mine. While I really feel objective it would be great for the comminity to hear a few more voices on this amp.

While this particular amp is a one off due to the tango tansformers you would have to ask Craig about the possibilities of getting close to this with Electraprints transformers. BTW the electraprints are really great transformers in their own right and Moth used them for thier amps.

Al sounds like we may need another k1000 meet

Sep 17, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #6 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm baulking at the K1Ks naked, serious kid gloves for handling those.

C'mon from you the guy that dismembered the TAKET?? No guts No glory!

Sep 17, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #7 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, JP should be a happy camper now that he has my L3000s to use with his HD2...

You can't stop me you can only hope to contain me.

Seriously after hearing Davids I thought I needed to live with these for a few months. Michael thanks for a fine example of these

Sep 17, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #8 of 57
Is the Cosecant in yet??

Sep 17, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #9 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can't stop me you can only hope to contain me.

Seriously after hearing Davids I thought I needed to live with these for a few months. Michael thanks for a fine example of these

person! You stole them out from under me!

*when are you bringing them over?*

Sep 17, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #10 of 57
I have to thank JP for inviting me to show up. It was a pleasant surprise to find David (909) there too. I've been dying to listen to his Reimyo and was ecstatic to get the chance to do so. It produces wonderful music. I also took a few pictures and will add them sometime this week, but JP's show's the setup and everything except my K340s.

On my part, I brought my Platinum Extreme, which has a stepped attenuator and Blackgate output caps as uprades. It was running 6AS7G output tubes and either Sylvania Tall Bottle 7N7 or Amperex 7062 in the gain position. I borrowed a power cord and ICs and have no idea what make they were. I also brought my Headphile'd K340s and some favorite CDs.

The outputs of the Reimyo were set up so that all amps received the music being played. That made it easy to go from amp to amp to hear differences. Of course, all of my impressions came with no more that 5 minutes listening to any one setup at a time and usually it was much less. So take them with the appropriate amount of salt.

I must admit that my favorite "amp" through my K340s was a tie between my Extreme and JP's new HD-2, though I could be happy with any of the amps I listened to. Both of my favorites had the organic musicality that originally drew me to tube amps in the first place. They did sound different.

I got to try RS-1's for the first time ever. Great, time to see if I'm a Grado guy after all. I do like the pair of MS-1's that I have, but much prefer my K340s. So I listened to a couple of songs through them going from amp to amp. It's a nice headphone, but for me the highs are just too zingy. They almost hurt my ears. I'm no longer tempted to purchase a high end Grado headphone.

I also risked my wallet big time by directly comparing my K340s with 909's L3000s. Alright, I preferred David's headphones. But not by much. I'll be holding on to my K340s for a while longer.

Anyway, it was a fun day. Thanks to Craig for hosting and allowing me to come. Thanks big time to JP for inviting me.

Sep 17, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #11 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
person! You stole them out from under me!

*when are you bringing them over?*

mini meet nexy weekend or even better the following weekend is Blues Fest at FT Mason. we could do a pre fest mini

Sep 17, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #13 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mini meet nexy weekend or even better the following weekend is Blues Fest at FT Mason. we could do a pre fest mini

PM me about CD case exchange tomorrow. Sunday of the blues fest hopefully should work. This weekend I am out.

Sep 17, 2007 at 4:19 AM Post #14 of 57
Dang! Good one, guys.

I'm on the bloody wrong coast. Sounds like fun to hear an amp that trounces Audio Research and gives the Zanden a run for best K1000 sound. The Zanden out of the Audio Aero Capitole at HeadFest was a serious eye-opener -- the best I've heard K1000 to date, so an amp that competes must be remarkable indeed.

I'll have to live it vicariously for now. Keep "talkin'" -- I'll keep readin'.

Hi Ken! Don't discount Grado completely. I'm not a huge Grado fan, though I've enjoyed the HP1000's "neutral musicality" at times -- and I used to really dislike the PS-1's bloated bass -- until I heard one through Ray's B52 (re-wired with his mil cables) -- and the things really drew me into listening for quite a while. The B52 reins them in, and the Apache also keeps the PS-1 under tight control, though I didn't compare them side-by-side. RS-1's not for me either, but sometimes it's fun.

Hope to hear a Platinum Extreme at our Fall NYC meet. Sadly, it wasn't working when I tried to catch it at HeadFest.

Nice club y'all have out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back