Mini Meet at Eddie Current 9/15
Sep 17, 2007 at 2:14 PM Post #16 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
more pix or ban
very_evil_smiley.gif

sorry Nate I did not bring a camera with the , the lone photo was a single pic that Craig took and emailed to me so I would have a shot of the amps.

I may be wrong but I think Ken may have taken more pics.

Sep 17, 2007 at 2:21 PM Post #17 of 57
Some more impressions

Craig's new tube amp the one with the red top plate is a really good sounding amp in it's price range. As an intergrated amp it will be a steal if the off shore manufacturing comes through. At less than half to a third the price of what the HD2 cost me it was great it just did not do all the little things the more expensive amps do. It had a flatter sound stage with less depth with less width tham the HD2 but easily would compete with the other amps that float around the 1k range. The reason this amp is a killer is it does the k1000s with a dedicated 4pin up front and has speaker taps for relatively high efficiency speakers. My guess is you would want to keep it in the 90db or better range. If he builds that amp it will be an Almorro intergrated killer.

AT L-3000s, I had never really given these a chance and had fallen into the "herd" mentality on these that while good they were flawed. Well after some extended listening at the San Jose meet and at this meet I had to snag a pair. They really image well on my amp and have amazing decay and detail but never ever get hard or harsh. While I think the k1000 throws the window open much wider the L3ks destroy them on the bass front and drum impact and decay sounds, so when a tom is struck on the l3000s the decay sound of the shell is really heard while the k1000s don't extend that decay nearly so well.
off to work so I can afford the stuff I keep buying

Sep 17, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #18 of 57
Quote:

more pix or ban
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry Nate I did not bring a camera with the , the lone photo was a single pic that Craig took and emailed to me so I would have a shot of the amps.

I may be wrong but I think Ken may have taken more pics.

I guess a ban is in order then.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 17, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #19 of 57
Quote:

more pix or ban
very_evil_smiley.gif

guzziguy took some pics.
tongue.gif

i'll post impressions later.

i'll say this now....

the HD2 is an amazing amp and drove the Cicadas, L3000s the best I've heard and it did an equally incredible job with the K-1000s a very close second to foo_me's K-1000 rig (Emm_Lab --> Zanden) based off memory.

Sep 17, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #20 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
guzziguy took some pics.
tongue.gif

I'm pretty crunched at work right now. I haven't even had time to upload the pics from my camera. I'll try to get to getting them here this week. If somebody wants to help me out by doing the work of uploading the pics to a server and adding a message here to point to them, I'll be happy to email the pics to you. Just PM me your email address.

Sep 17, 2007 at 5:30 PM Post #21 of 57
Where to begin... First a big thanks to our gracious host, Craig. Ken for making that driving up from Santa Barbara and bringing his Platinum Extreme and K340s. John long hauling it down to So Cal and taking the whole gang out to a great Sushi lunch--thanks again. Can't forget those negligent and damage prone folks at DHL for damaging John's HD2 and are responsible for necessitating the HD2's rebirth and at least somewhat for this meet.

Laurie (NU62) had already arrived early and had been listening and comparing the EC509 and the HD2 with his K-1000s, K701s and Craig's Cicadas. Craig had the Moth Audio DAC sourcing this set-up. Initially I thought the EC509 had an excellent sound presentation especially with the K701s, but the K-1000s definitely sounded much better with the HD2. I had only listened to a few unfamiliar tracks per Laurie's selection and did some back and forth. After Laurie left I did some speaker listening with the HD2 and compared the amp going balanced and single-ended.

So here's my impressions...

The biggest surprise had to be the audible differences going single-ended to balanced. I've never heard it make such a noticeable change in the sonic presentation both on speakers and headphones. In the past I've listened to the GS-X both single-ended and balanced on the HD-650 and preferred balanced, but never felt it was night and day. Even with the Dynamite going between single-ended and balance with the HD650s I thought I could easily live with the the Dynahi (single-ended version). I don't know if it is just the HD650s, those SS balanced amps, the source or combo of factors, but it seemed at the time not as drastic an improvement. Listening to the HD2, however, was a completely different story.

Reimyo --> HD2 (singled-ended to balanced) Cicadas*, K-1000s and L3000:

Cicadas (*exception Moth Audio DAC):
I listened to a Willie Nelson track showcasing primarily his voice and his acoustic guitar. As a guitar player I felt I could really appreciate this track. The biggest difference, going balance offered much better control and focus. The vocals and guitar had a superior level of transparency and imaging. Overall both were excellent, but balanced on the HD2 truly raised the bar to a level I could no long merely classify as slightly more than negligible improvements.

K-1000s:
I've had a pretty cold response to the K-1000s most of the five or six times I've heard them. I would have to say that the HD2 balanced comes as close to the best I've heard them sound and possibly only bettered by foo_me's Emm Labs and Zanden rig. I would need to compare them side-by-side with the same source and what not to truly know, because it's close.

L3000s:
Here's where I felt most at home and, even though, my cable is stock (single-ended) I heard noticeable improvements going balanced. I cued up a very familiar track on Sgt. Pepper, when I am sixty-four, and went back and forth between single-ended and balanced. There's a reverb effect on Paul's voice that only became apparent once I got the Reimyo, but I only thought the effect had been used sparely. However, flipping the switch to balance and this effect has a presence nearly throughout the entire track and extended and seemingly decayed into infinity. Going balance with the L3000s single-ended cable had an unmistakable improvement--better: transparency, control, focus, imaging, air, separation, dynamics, etc...

HD2:
Overall I have to say this is probably the finest sounding headphone amp I've heard. It has it all; neutrality, transparency, balance, excellent extension, control, large soundstage, harmonics, warmth and organic musicality. Then flip the switch to balanced and it gets even better. I want one.

EC509:
I didn't spend as much time with the EC509, but right off the bat felt it had an inviting sound that made me want to listen. It drove the K-1000s very well, but I liked listening to the K701 probably most. It had a great dynamic range and exciting drive that seemed to emphasis the bass a tad bit. It had great musicality while still retaining a good amount of transparency and neutrality.

That's it for now, more impressions later.

Sep 17, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #22 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm baulking at the K1Ks naked, serious kid gloves for handling those.

And definitely not suitable for a meet, however "mini"!

Quote:

HD2:
Overall I have to say this is probably the finest sounding headphone amp I've heard. It has it all; neutrality, transparency, balance, excellent extension, control, large soundstage, harmonics, warmth and organic musicality.

Does Craig even make HD-2's anymore and the price?
Looking at all those 6C33C tubes makes me want to own some, though, and maybe it's time for me to finally buy an Almarro A318B amp, which uses 6C33C to quite an acclaim.
hero130c69exa7.jpg

http://www.sixmoons.com/audioreviews/almarro5/318.html

Almarro Japan should still have some 4-pin XLR female chassis plugs left that I sent them for my A250a MkII K1000 amp. If I could just convince them to make a custom A318B with K1000 plug... Oh, I'll bet 6C33B tubes would seriously kick some arse with my HE60 via SRD-7 MKII
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 18, 2007 at 12:08 AM Post #23 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And definitely not suitable for a meet, however "mini"!

seriously, i was afraid to touch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does Craig even make HD-2's anymore and the price?

this is a new and truly one of a kind amp. John scored big time. i suspect Craig will offer something similar that sounds very close and priced around $2K.

Jon, buy the Almarro A318B amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 18, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #24 of 57
Quote:

seriously, i was afraid to touch.

this is a new and truly one of a kind amp. John scored big time. i suspect Craig will offer something similar that sounds very close and priced around $2K.

Jon, buy the Almarro A318B amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

I would wait for Craig's amp as I feel it will be significantly better than the Almorro. The Almorro while a nice intergrated for the money runs the tubes at the upper end of their range. I think that amp outputs 16 watts or so the hd2 puts out 8 so the tubes are less stressed. Also if you are into k1000s this will be the amp to beat especially at this price. The only benefit to the Almorro is you can buy one today then when you are up North bring it and listen against the HD2. You will have no problem selling it on Audiogon if you like the HD2 better.
I would consider contacting Craig to see what his plans are going forward. I know he is excited at the prospects of reproducing this amp. You should contact him as to what the production design will be.

ANYONE that wants to set up a listening session with me is more than welcome to. I really would like to see this amp get heard by the general community. I firmly beleive that if I were purchasing this retail it would have cost well over 5k.

Sep 18, 2007 at 2:34 AM Post #25 of 57
just messing around, but i would like to hear that 6C33C-B Almorro drive headphones.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jon, if you can wait i suspect something very good should come out of this proto HD2 design, which should likely have the ability to drive high-efficiency loudspeakers and all dynamic headphones both single-ended and balanced, including the K-1000s exceptionally well.

Sep 18, 2007 at 8:19 AM Post #28 of 57
Quote:

Some more impressions

Craig's new tube amp the one with the red top plate is a really good sounding amp in it's price range. As an intergrated amp it will be a steal if the off shore manufacturing comes through. At less than half to a third the price of what the HD2 cost me it was great it just did not do all the little things the more expensive amps do. It had a flatter sound stage with less depth with less width tham the HD2 but easily would compete with the other amps that float around the 1k range. The reason this amp is a killer is it does the k1000s with a dedicated 4pin up front and has speaker taps for relatively high efficiency speakers. My guess is you would want to keep it in the 90db or better range. If he builds that amp it will be an Almorro intergrated killer.

AT L-3000s, I had never really given these a chance and had fallen into the "herd" mentality on these that while good they were flawed. Well after some extended listening at the San Jose meet and at this meet I had to snag a pair. They really image well on my amp and have amazing decay and detail but never ever get hard or harsh. While I think the k1000 throws the window open much wider the L3ks destroy them on the bass front and drum impact and decay sounds, so when a tom is struck on the l3000s the decay sound of the shell is really heard while the k1000s don't extend that decay nearly so well.
off to work so I can afford the stuff I keep buying

jp I appreciate the impressions. I'm actually looking for a tube amp for my L3000s (I agree with your impressions, and for my listening tastes and music the L3000 is the perfect complement for the K1000).

Any chance of Eddie Current making a transformer tube headphone amp without preamp/integrated functions
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
eek.gif

edit: sweet pictures 909, I'm in love with the EC styling. Just IMO they have the most character out of any headphone/speaker amp I've seen.

Sep 18, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #29 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
jp I appreciate the impressions. I'm actually looking for a tube amp for my L3000s (I agree with your impressions, and for my listening tastes and music the L3000 is the perfect complement for the K1000).

Any chance of Eddie Current making a transformer tube headphone amp without preamp/integrated functions
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
eek.gif

edit: sweet pictures 909, I'm in love with the EC styling. Just IMO they have the most character out of any headphone/speaker amp I've seen.

I would contact Craig, about what's next for Eddie Current, I know he is working on his next amp series and if my amp is an indication of what's next look out!!
With regard to functionality I don't think the multiple inputs and line outs raide the price that much. While the Tango transformers are gone forever there are alot of great transformers being made I googled a VTV article on transformers and their thoughts were while each had a signature much like caps there were many great ones still being made. I personally think I would have been equally happy with Electraprints but the Tangos add abit of style and mystique.

Sep 18, 2007 at 4:02 PM Post #30 of 57
Quote:

I would contact Craig, about what's next for Eddie Current, I know he is working on his next amp series and if my amp is an indication of what's next look out!!
With regard to functionality I don't think the multiple inputs and line outs raide the price that much. While the Tango transformers are gone forever there are alot of great transformers being made I googled a VTV article on transformers and their thoughts were while each had a signature much like caps there were many great ones still being made. I personally think I would have been equally happy with Electraprints but the Tangos add abit of style and mystique.

So Tango transformers are extinct?
frown.gif

I've also been looking into MagneQuest tranys as Wavelength Audio uses them and I've read lots of good things.

I will be sending Craig an email when I have some more free time and know exactly what I want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back