Mini Meet at Eddie Current 9/15
Sep 18, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #46 of 57
Yeah, that's what I've been wondering myself regarding the wattage. I guess I'll have to back off. I dunno for some reason Transformers esp. vintage ones are more exciting to me then tubes.

That amp is more than a great value than just the transformers. The tubes included are really top notch as is the wire/soldering and the rest. But you are right probably not a good K1k amp so I'll have to pass... perhaps if it were converted to a headphone amp ;p

Yeah 300B seems like the way to go just the perfect price point.

Sep 18, 2007 at 7:19 PM Post #47 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's not that was a misnomer that was stated earlier in the thread, it is single ended with a 4 pin up front for the k1000s.

Cool, looks like a nice amp none the less.
wink.gif
Quote:

Bring the McBeast to CanJam 08 my leatherheads will be 4 pinned by them. I love the look of that amp Jason.

LOL @ McBeast.

I am going to try my hardest to be there. Not sure if I will try to setup a roadtrip or just crate up my stuff and ship it... Flights to Florida are so cheap that it is tempting.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 18, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #48 of 57
as an update I have spent the past night and this morning listening to the HD2 with k1000s. Prior to hearing this amp I never thought that their was any perceivable veil with the k1000s but yes there was something between the music and the earspeakers and pervious amps did not let them shine like this. I feel like I am in the room. You so clearly hear vocal reverb seperate and apart from the main vocal and you hear every motion that the pickups captured like when a hard rock guitarists hold their strings during a stop and right before he hits the next chord there is a slight string sound almost like the anticipation of the next chord it's all there in techicolor.
The soundstage is extremely wide open as well and each instument is clearly defined in time and space. Keep in mind these updates are with an apogee mini dac and while I feel the apogee plays far above it's price of 800 bucks it's not the $17,000 cd player the initial impressions were taken on. On a side note the apogee is much better than stock as the talented Mr N_Maher provided a high quality power supply that CRUSHED the stock PS.
Well that's it for now until my new source comes it looks like FedEx has screwed me yet again.

Sep 18, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #49 of 57
Quote:

well rather than get into it too deep right after the meet I went out and purchased L-3000s, same day after driving 364 miles and 5 hours in a car, I drove to Berkeley and handed over a sizable check for these. Not to say the k340s aren't great , they are, but the leatherheads are a nice step up and should be given the rather large gap in price.

Hey JP, how do the L3000's sound compared to your Edition 9's? That would be an interesting comparison. I guess we'll have to wait until you get them back to know!

Sep 28, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #50 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by guzziguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey JP, how do the L3000's sound compared to your Edition 9's? That would be an interesting comparison. I guess we'll have to wait until you get them back to know!

If I'm not mistaken, John already sold the Edition 9s, so I think that answers your question.

Sep 28, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #51 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I'm not mistaken, John already sold the Edition 9s, so I think that answers your question.

As if John selling something is a basis for any opinion. Yeah, I know, how am I different. At least I can admit I have a problem. John is still in denial.

Sep 28, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #52 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As if John selling something is a basis for any opinion. Yeah, I know, how am I different. At least I can admit I have a problem. John is still in denial.

You've got a point. You both sell things faster than it takes to form an opinion. John has held on to the K1000s, though, for as long as I've known him. It must be love.
tongue.gif

Sep 29, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #53 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif

sour grapes
tongue.gif

it is only a problem for me when I run out of capital, that day is rapidly approaching

Oh an the HD2 is just stunning, the really cool thing is that is works equally well with akg 701s, Grado RS1s, AKG K1000s, AKG K340s, Sony CD 3000s and Leatherheads. THe tough part is I wanted to sell some of these headphones to replen sone cash and this amp makes me rethink that strategy. Each headphone seems to suit different moods and music. THe 701s are just exapnsive and nice and flat sounding top to bottom but the RS1s provide that imtimate sound suprising good rocking out.
The K1000s are probably the best but sometimes I don't want the mini monitors strapped to my head. The leatherheads are the most comfortable of the lot and work well on small combo jaxx and classic rock.

THe HD2 is digging out tons of detail with each of these headphones and has shown me that often they are individually misjudged as each can sound mediocre with an amp mismatch.

I have some 6c33b tubes on order from Russia from 1969,70,71 and 73. I wonder if the earlier vintage and factory, these were from the svetlana factory will sound any different. It is a total crap shoot as I could only get a pair from each year and these tubes have about a 10-15% rejection rate.

The amp is dead quiet and is now partnered with the wavelength cosecant that was also a nice upgrade from the apogee mini dace. THe mini is an over performer at it's price range and with the upfraded power supply that Nate (the audio evil genious made for me it easy performs for me at the 2k cdp level (generic statement made for comparison purposes only and not meant to offend any of the members with 2k cdps
k1000smile.gif
)
This is amp can easily qualify as best in class status, it powers all headphones with equal ease and is amazing on my speakers.

Oct 13, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #56 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by mofonyx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a bit lost, was there an Almarro at the meet?

No. When I was there, there were four amps:
Eddie Current/Moth:
909's 2A3 based amp (don't know the model number)
HD-2
EC-509
Single Power:
Platinum Extreme
No Almarro was there. Not sure how you picked that up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back