Mini Dac TDA1543 X 4 NOS
Oct 22, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #61 of 1,063
Ah yes, you are indeed right, I forgot about that part, On my board I have a jumper that can switch the I/V resistors between 270 and 120 ohm

Also changing the bias resistor (From pin 6 of the chip(s) to ground changes the characteristics quite a lot, I have a 1K trimmer in this position and eventually settled on about 310 ohm,

Whilst I agree that the chips do get a bit warm I don't know if cooling is needed I forget what the enviromental spec for the device is.

As multiplying the number of devices basically increases signal to noise ratio and increases the current capacity of the output. The signal to noise increase is 3Db every time you double the number of devices, so going from 1 to 2, 2 to 4, 4 to 8 and so on, I think the reason you found the big increase when adding the last two devices was that this was where the impact is present, the benefit is logarithmic not linear.

//Jan 

Oct 22, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #62 of 1,063

Quote:
Ah yes, you are indeed right, I forgot about that part, On my board I have a jumper that can switch the I/V resistors between 270 and 120 ohm

Also changing the bias resistor (From pin 6 of the chip(s) to ground changes the characteristics quite a lot, I have a 1K trimmer in this position and eventually settled on about 310 ohm,

Whilst I agree that the chips do get a bit warm I don't know if cooling is needed I forget what the enviromental spec for the device is.

As multiplying the number of devices basically increases signal to noise ratio and increases the current capacity of the output. The signal to noise increase is 3Db every time you double the number of devices, so going from 1 to 2, 2 to 4, 4 to 8 and so on, I think the reason you found the big increase when adding the last two devices was that this was where the impact is present, the benefit is logarithmic not linear.

//Jan 

I say it wouldn't hurt to had some serious cooling on the chips.  Maybe even a fan if you don't mind the noise of them.

Oct 23, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #63 of 1,063
No it won't hurt, surely not, I am questioning if it is absolutely needed, at any rate I would go for a passive heat sink, nothing gets in the way of enjoying music like a fan.

//Jan

Oct 23, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #64 of 1,063
A very low RPM fan just to suck the warm air away from the unit shouldn't be loud enough if you use headphones especially.but otherwise I agree which is why I am working on a solid state music machine.  Of course with a heat sink attached to the chips.

It is needed imo if you want the device to live, or if you want to listen to music for an extended amount of time.  A single chip gets hot but not hot enough to distort, pretty sure 4 chips will distort given the right conditions, and 8 chips.... that kind of heat is downright monstrous
wink.gif

Quote:
No it won't hurt, surely not, I am questioning if it is absolutely needed, at any rate I would go for a passive heat sink, nothing gets in the way of enjoying music like a fan.

//Jan

Oct 23, 2010 at 5:29 AM Post #65 of 1,063
I received my TDA1543. Now it will be fun to see how it performs. I will probably be using it from the optical out from my Mac. 

Oct 23, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #66 of 1,063
I successfully soldered a power supply circuit board for the DIY Jaycar headphone amplifier!!!  I can't wait to find the time to start modding - this forum is a fantastic place for giving me the vision, know how and courage to attempt such a daunting task - which I found wasn't too difficult.  All the bottom solder bits are shiny and looks quite nice - I can't believe I actually did something like this.  I feel excited and good about myself. 

smile.gif

Dec 14, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #69 of 1,063
I am still amazed by this little DAC.  I purchased the Reference 7 dac after this experience...the R7 killed the Bryston as well...the reference 7 only had this little thing to keep it honest...all my comparisons with the Reference 7 was against this thing.  I think this speaks highly of it.  Not everyone will like this presentation...but I can guarantee that anyone who attends a lot of live acoustic engagements, or plays an acoustic instrument will be able to define this DAC as extremely accurate in tone and timbre.

I can understand how some will enjoy SD more than R2Rs.  There is an energy to the upper registers and liquidity in the upper segments (one mans liquidity is another mans digital sheen)...Techno and Ambients will do very well with SD as there really isn't any acoustic counterparts to draw comparisons to in a lot of these music.  Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I was doing a sigma delta shootout and found that all my sigma delta sources have a hard edged and glassy upper frequencies, from Dacmagic, through to Pioneer Elite SACD and DIY Silicon Chip.  What I once called a "warm" source in the form of Burr Brown SD chips actually sounded very hard and cold...this is in comparison to the Bryston.

The Bryston actually sounds very organic, warm and detailed and have none of that hard edged glassy sheen in the upper frequencies.  The presentation "relaxes" compared to the midrange sigma deltas...voices and instrument gain an independance from the digital shine...I remember how much I enjoyed the Bryston...for these "organic" qualities.  This is where the price premium is going to in relation to mid level DACS.  For those interested the Silicon Chp DAC is a kit complete with pre punched chassis for $250 that comes a lot closer to the Bryston than the Dacmagic can ever hope.  Wonderful for entering DIY.

What a price premium that is...around about 1.5K to 2.5K premium, depending on location, over mid range dacs for this "organic presentation".

The Muse does it for 60 bucks delivered and does it better.  End of story.

Dec 17, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #71 of 1,063

Quote:
How does that kit compare to the $60 unit exactly?

Fact that it can handle 24/96 sources makes it worth the price increase.

The fact that the kit will give new skills and understanding is worth it.  The fact that it sounds better than the Dacmagic, for me is worth it.  The fact that it does 24/96 is what every other dac on the consumer market can support...makes it look good on numbers.

The fact that Hi-res makes up less than 1 percent of my audio collection makes is a minor advantage.  The fact that the 60 dollar unit is able to make 16/44 resamples of 24/96 music sound better than cheap 24/96 dacs playing at native hi-res...just makes 60 buck dac a better overall proposition.

IMO off course.  You may dislike the sterile and dry and matter-of-fact sound of a solid state NOS dac and prefer some of the harmonic liquidity of the delta sigma.  I'm sensitive to "harmonic liquidity" in the upper frequencies that I associate with listening fatigue.

Dec 17, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #72 of 1,063
I dunno really, still haven't had a time to  check out a NOS dac.  All I have heard from cheap to expensive were Delta Sigma based dacs.  I like to play stuff in their native res usually.  Finally have some money though so I guess I could give the $60 an honest try.

I assume you mean highs that play just a tad too high?

Quote:
Quote:
How does that kit compare to the $60 unit exactly?

Fact that it can handle 24/96 sources makes it worth the price increase.

The fact that the kit will give new skills and understanding is worth it.  The fact that it sounds better than the Dacmagic, for me is worth it.  The fact that it does 24/96 is what every other dac on the consumer market can support...makes it look good on numbers.

The fact that Hi-res makes up less than 1 percent of my audio collection makes is a minor advantage.  The fact that the 60 dollar unit is able to make 16/44 resamples of 24/96 music sound better than cheap 24/96 dacs playing at native hi-res...just makes 60 buck dac a better overall proposition.

IMO off course.  You may dislike the sterile and dry and matter-of-fact sound of a solid state NOS dac and prefer some of the harmonic liquidity of the delta sigma.  I'm sensitive to "harmonic liquidity" in the upper frequencies that I associate with listening fatigue.

Dec 17, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #73 of 1,063

Quote:
I dunno really, still haven't had a time to  check out a NOS dac.  All I have heard from cheap to expensive were Delta Sigma based dacs.  I like to play stuff in their native res usually.  Finally have some money though so I guess I could give the $60 an honest try.

No not at all.  The Kit dac treble is kinda laid back...but there is a hard edge to the upper midranges...every dac I've owned has this except the 2K Bryston and Reference 7 and also the 60 buck NOS...thats 3 out of about 10.  Its all a moot point if your headphones aren't resolving enough.  I never had any issues with "digititis" and I thought hi-end dacs were ridiculously overpriced...until I purchased the LCD2s.  These sorts of cans need hi-end sources.  So really any dac is OK...but the Mini NOS is the ultimate value dac..second to none IMHO.

Dec 18, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #74 of 1,063

the x4 version doesn't seem to be in sale atm on ebay.  I was actually going to put some cash on it tonight.
Quote:
Quote:

No not at all.  The Kit dac treble is kinda laid back...but there is a hard edge to the upper midranges...every dac I've owned has this except the 2K Bryston and Reference 7 and also the 60 buck NOS...thats 3 out of about 10.  Its all a moot point if your headphones aren't resolving enough.  I never had any issues with "digititis" and I thought hi-end dacs were ridiculously overpriced...until I purchased the LCD2s.  These sorts of cans need hi-end sources.  So really any dac is OK...but the Mini NOS is the ultimate value dac..second to none IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back