Mini Dac TDA1543 X 4 NOS
Sep 14, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #17 of 1,063

Quote:
Here is another....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-SPDIF-OPTICAL-DAC-Board-PCM1793-DIR9001-OPA2134-/300399934929

• This Mini DAC made with high-quality component......[size=x-small]Nichicon capacity, WIMA capacity[/size]
  • Main DAC: Burr-Brown PCM1793
    --24-Bit 192kHz Sampling Advanced Segment Audio Stereo DAC
    --Dynamic Range: 113 dB THD+N: 0.001%
    --8× Oversampling Digital Filter
  • This DAC can use for multimedia system, satellite radio, CD player and DVD
    player(two channel)
  • Digital input receiver DIR9001
    --The receiver used is more expensive and of better quality than the popular CS8412/4/6 

used in all other DACs. It has many more music details and accurate sound you obtain.
  • [size=x-small][size=small]OPAMP: Burr-Brown OPA2134 [/size][/size]
  • [size=x-small][size=small]Coaxial / Optical Input , Analog Output [/size][/size]
  • Short signal path,Such as double side gold coat PCB with high quality soldering.
  • Power Supply:  DC 12V , 1A (Positive Center)
  • [size=x-small][size=small]PCB  Dimension: 100mm * 60mm[/size][/size]

The MUSE is here...ACTUALLY ONLY $39!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/HI-FI-Mini-DAC-TDA1543-DIR9001-NOS-DAC-Incl-power-ADP-S-/180536955301

Yes, that is the single chip MUSE, it is a bit cheaper but the 4 chip one is obviously x3 more fun
smily_headphones1.gif

Also that one you have there is the same as what is inside the delta sigma version of the Muse, it looks ok too but it is a different beast all together, it's oversampling where the other one is not, it will operate at 24/96 which is nice (The TDA1543 is a 16 bit device and I think it is only useful for 44.1KHz but I'm not too sure on that one), it would have been more fun if it had had a high quality oscillator built onto it for clock recovery operation of the receiver chip but I still think it will be nice.

//J

Sep 14, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #18 of 1,063

Quote:
LOL! you modders kill me.  Makes me wanna pickup my soldering iron to join in on the obvious fun.
bigsmile_face.gif

Is it feasible to be powering 4 dac chips with 3.3 volts - when they need more than that?  Not that I have any clue as to what I'm saying.

Hehe, so do it! Once I get hold of one and rip it apart I will take some pictures and make suggestions for sure.

I don't think it would be a very good idea no, the lower limit for operating a TDA1543 is 3V with 5V being the recommended voltage and 8 being the max. But as I have also already stated I managed to open my eyes wide enough to see the second regulator, the TDA1543's are almost certainly run on 5V and if the regulator is a 317 type changing it to 8 is just a matter or replacing one two resistors.

//J

Sep 14, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #19 of 1,063

Quote:

Yes, that is the single chip MUSE, it is a bit cheaper but the 4 chip one is obviously x3 more fun
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />

Also that one you have there is the same as what is inside the delta sigma version of the Muse, it looks ok too but it is a different beast all together, it's oversampling where the other one is not, it will operate at 24/96 which is nice (The TDA1543 is a 16 bit device and I think it is only useful for 44.1KHz but I'm not too sure on that one), it would have been more fun if it had had a high quality oscillator built onto it for clock recovery operation of the receiver chip but I still think it will be nice.

//J

Hence I ordered the A&B modded teralink X2 reclocker/usb interface.

Sep 14, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #21 of 1,063
I've got the single chip version, and for the LOVE OF GOD DON'T BUY IT.  Worst DAC I've ever freakin heard.  If this DAC's sound quality could be compared to quality of handwriting, then the DAC would just be freakin illiterate. (interesting what metaphors I come up with when vulgarity isn't allowed... =])

Sep 14, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #23 of 1,063

Quote:
I've got the single chip version, and for the LOVE OF GOD DON'T BUY IT.  Worst DAC I've ever freakin heard.  If this DAC's sound quality could be compared to quality of handwriting, then the DAC would just be freakin illiterate. (interesting what metaphors I come up with when vulgarity isn't allowed... =])

Pink Floyd thought it sounded quite nice after cap rolling.

Sep 14, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #24 of 1,063
I don't get what it is with these TDA1543 nos dacs, i had a Valab 8xTDA1543 (long sold...) a year back (it was sorta FOTM?) and honestly i couldn't wait to get rid of it after it finally sunk in that i'd spent approx £150 on a dac which was significantly less musically capable than my onboard PC audio, and no doubt would have measured far worse if measurements are your thing.  Don't even get me started on a cheapo single chip one i bought...  No amount of high quality components will change the fact that TDA1543 nos dacs (at least the Valab one) are kinda 'lacking' to put it politely :p  They are nice to fiddle with though i guess.

Sep 15, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #25 of 1,063
Hmm yes, well the 1543 is listed as the 'economy' version of the family.

Something I'd like to do some day is cobble together a TDA1541A and a DIR9001 on a vero board, might be a kind of interesting project, the various factory made boards out there are all designed for CS8412/4 receiver and use of the SAA7220 digital filter, the filter could easily be bypassed but I seem to remember the pinout of the receiver chip being different.

The DIR9001 is said to be vastly superior to the Crystal receiver chip.

//J

Sep 15, 2010 at 3:45 AM Post #26 of 1,063
This looks nice http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DAC-DIR9001-TDA1541A-2-0B-parallel-output-OS-NOS-/320588294150?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa48d2806#ht_2452wt_886
It is almost 4 times as expensive though and does not come with case or power supply.

Also it appears to be far from perfect, unless it has been revised since this write up http://a-ling.net/alweb/hifi/tda1541_3_dac/tda1541.htm

Oh I don't know, maybe it's just too much hassle. I'm fairly convinced that the best bang for buck can be had by simply hooking up a DIR9001, a 74ch00 and a TDA1541 on a breadboard with a simple I/V stage/buffer, power supply could be pretty trivial, just a bunch of LM317's and clean up shunts.

Another option would be to get the analog metric bare board for their CS8412/4 based solution, either use the Crystal receiver or use an adaptor to DIR9001 and bypass the SAA7220 and not mount the I/V/buffer of that board and provide your own solution off board.

//Jan

Sep 15, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #27 of 1,063
it certainly looks hefty but all those issues..probably not worth it.

Ultimately i'm just going to get a dac magic and be done with it :p though i like tinkering and could do with learning lots more about audio electronics, i want to design a powerful amplifier/speakers i can attach to my mountain bike!

oh, one thing about the link you linked in the "power supply" bit;

"...The bolt to fasten toroidal transformer should be in contact with both bottom a upper metal case"

they mean shouldn't i think :/

good luck with whatever you decide to do though, simple and cheap sounds like the most fun!

Quote:
This looks nice http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DAC-DIR9001-TDA1541A-2-0B-parallel-output-OS-NOS-/320588294150?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa48d2806#ht_2452wt_886
It is almost 4 times as expensive though and does not come with case or power supply.

Also it appears to be far from perfect, unless it has been revised since this write up http://a-ling.net/alweb/hifi/tda1541_3_dac/tda1541.htm

Oh I don't know, maybe it's just too much hassle. I'm fairly convinced that the best bang for buck can be had by simply hooking up a DIR9001, a 74ch00 and a TDA1541 on a breadboard with a simple I/V stage/buffer, power supply could be pretty trivial, just a bunch of LM317's and clean up shunts.

Another option would be to get the analog metric bare board for their CS8412/4 based solution, either use the Crystal receiver or use an adaptor to DIR9001 and bypass the SAA7220 and not mount the I/V/buffer of that board and provide your own solution off board.

//Jan

Sep 15, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #28 of 1,063
Hey snip,  you probably know this better than I.  In the link you posted above, this guy sell NOS desgns with different DAC chips - does that mean in its NOS, the DAC chip must be a R2R design?

Sep 15, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #29 of 1,063

Quote:
Hey snip,  you probably know this better than I.  In the link you posted above, this guy sell NOS desgns with different DAC chips - does that mean in its NOS, the DAC chip must be a R2R design?

Uh, I don't think so, if I understand it correctly oversampling takes place in a digital filter prior to DA conversion, some DAC chips have these filters built into the chip, some have features to disable the filter.

//Jan

Sep 15, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #30 of 1,063

Quote:
it certainly looks hefty but all those issues..probably not worth it.

Ultimately i'm just going to get a dac magic and be done with it :p though i like tinkering and could do with learning lots more about audio electronics, i want to design a powerful amplifier/speakers i can attach to my mountain bike!

oh, one thing about the link you linked in the "power supply" bit;

"...The bolt to fasten toroidal transformer should be in contact with both bottom a upper metal case"

they mean shouldn't i think :/

good luck with whatever you decide to do though, simple and cheap sounds like the most fun!

Yes I too assume it should read shouldn't I hope no one suffers any injury from contacting it to both, it can cause some pretty nasty effects.

I have never heard a Dac Magic, but it has been said that many similar and even lower priced units blow it clean away, maybe you should consider the Maverick D1, the Matrix mini-i and perhaps the beresford Caiman as well.

//J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back