Mingo WM-2 Wooden Earphones: Review and Impressions thread
Jul 21, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #16 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
okay, thank you clieos. (did you change your avatar yet again)?

Ha, I made a dozens of HF logo recently, check them out here
biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #19 of 73
I think that the WM-2 will debut to Amazon soon - at least that is what I understand from Thomas Law who works at Mingo.

The review is up in full, so please take a look (first page). There are high(ish) resolution photos to go with it, but they shouldn't be linked from my blog as the bandwidth won't support it! Take a look and tell me your own experiences with them!

Enjoy!

Jul 29, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #21 of 73
They sound intriguing, but I get the nagging feeling that this is going to be one of those situations where later production batches will have fixes made to them in order to rectify the initial poor build quality. Shigezo, can you elaborate on what differences there are between the vocal and bass versions? Also between the silver and gold versions, which is the vocal version and which is the bass version? Do they go as low in the bass as the FX500?

Jul 30, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #23 of 73
Great review...I am looking forward to being able to pick a pair of these up as I am a mega bass head. On my turbines I use Rockbox's parametric eq. to boost 20 Hz about 10 db...and I could go more without overdoing it.

Any mid-bass hump, or is it relatively low bass that is so overwhelming? How about high end extension?

Thanks

Jul 30, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #24 of 73
Okay, I have added a direct comparison between the two versions in the original. I may get to transferring those changes to this thread when I am done my work. Really though, the two are not as different as they might seem. The silver version (bass), simply has less mids and the gold, more mids.

Jul 31, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #26 of 73
Shigezo, I always enjoy your reviews but I am now officially annoyed with you.
I thought I could give my wallet a rest after getting the Turbines, FX500, IE8 and CKS70. It looks like I'm going to have to get a pair of the WM-2 soon. Just another question, since you say that the WM-2 have really nice mids, would you recommend the gold over the silver since the gold version's mids are more forward?

Jul 31, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #27 of 73
it depends on you. the two are very similar actually, but the gold version obviously sweeter in the mids. even the silver one is warmer than many, but it may be hard for the bass-threatened ear to make that distinction. honestly, this earphones sounds great and has lots of details to give up, but... it is hugely bassy. fortunately, that bass is contained in a good acoustic housing.

i prefer the gold version for vocal music - in fact, it is one of my favourites for vocal of any type: musical, opera, contemporary, jazz, rock and hop-hop. if this phone had a good cable and overall nice finish with a more laid back bass (if even possible in such a housing), it would be worth the price of Atrio M5 admission.

Aug 3, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #30 of 73
well... i am actually working on revising my FX500 review, but... the wm-2 are more detailed in mids presentation. by detailed, i mean forward. detail in bass is up for your own ears. the fx500 has a drier, airier bass, but the wm-2 is madly detailed, but, as mentioned, too strong.

its mids are simply put: phenomenal. but, without equalising bass, certain music will still be too intense.

for vocals: i haven't heard a better dynamic earphone.

for treble: there will definitely be those who say the wm2 is fatiguing, and those who say the opposite. bass too, but bass i expect to be more of a contentious point for many as it is... strong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back