Mingo WM-2 Wooden Earphones: Review and Impressions thread
Sep 7, 2009 at 8:09 AM Post #61 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No prob
wink.gif

Great bang for the buck!

I was going to say "that's what she said", but then I felt it would the type of poor form that Hook would scoff at. Damnit.

Sep 7, 2009 at 8:36 AM Post #62 of 73
Having some comfort issues with the WM-2. There are comfortable enough when wearing normal fashion, i.e. dangling in front, but the microphonics is an issue.

Thus I started wearing them over the ear fashion. With the actual IEM upside down, the comfort level was definitely not the same for me ... somehow the tube rubs against the outer ear and after 45 minutes or so, the outer ear becomes slightly sore. I was using Comply T400 tips, and it seems better when I changed to some silicon tips.

Will continue experimenting.

Sep 7, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #64 of 73
I actually always wear mine with the cables over the ear. ebay double flange tips work the best for me. Those tips have not worked for me with any other IEM, but are supremely comfortable for me. I also don't stick the IEM all that far into my ear with those tips, whereas with other tips I had to have a deeper insertion.

@shigzeo: Funny

Sep 11, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #65 of 73
WM2 (silver) v C710 update (see here my first other posts):
- WM2 is a little more forward in the presentation. The C710 is maybe 1-2 rows behind the WM2.
- Stage width seems a little wider and better front to back with the WM2.
- WM2 has more extended deep bass via listening to test tones, but in actual music, the C710 seemed to have more impact in many songs, which must depend upon the actual frequency. Not that the WM2 is a slouch, just doesn't seem like the bass is over accentuated like the C710 bass can.
- Treble of the C710 is definitely crisper and more prominent. I do like the C710 treble for trance, but for acoustic, the WM2 is much more natural IMO.

The WM2 is much more sensitive to insertion depth than the C710; if I insert the WM2 too deep the stage shrinks and the bass doesn't seem to go as deep, plus the mids shift forward. I really didn't notice much difference with insertion depth of the C710. Both are worn cable over the ears.

Nov 15, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #68 of 73
if you guys are interested in another brand from Hong Kong, try LEAR LE01 and LEAR LE01 EX, they are pretty good too!

Dec 17, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #70 of 73
So, I have been listening to my IE8 more lately and decided to move the bass knob to the max position for more deep bass. I have to say, the sound signature of the IE8 is very similar now to the sound signature of the WM2 gold.

I would have to say the WM2 is the poor man's IE8. Here are the differences:
- IE8 has smoother mids and treble, with slightly better instrument separation.
- The soundstage is wider on the IE8, but they are about the same front to back.
- The mids of the WM2 gold are more forward than the IE8.
- The WM2 has more deep bass impact than the IE8, but the IE8 has a little more mid-bass.
- Treble extension of the IE8 kills the WM2 (and every other IEM I have tried).
- Acoustic instruments sound realistically presented from the amount of decay present, even if the mid-bass of the IE8 makes some instruments sound very rich.
- The IE8 is more transparent.

These differences are minor, and the IE8 does benefit from tip extenders, which don't do much for the WM2 (they fit both IEMs). Without the tip extenders, they are much closer.

But as shigzeo stated, the build quality of the WM2 does leave something to be desired. My silver WM2 is staring to come apart, and needs to be glued! I contacted the Mingo distributor, and they will repair them if I send them back (1 year warranty), but I think I can do it myself.

Any other owners care to share their thoughts?

Sep 7, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #72 of 73
Time to go to bed, but... I've this to say: DDM and IE8 are alike in that they isolate like... nothing at all. The IE8 has a midbass hump which means thump. I disagree that its bass is of high quality simply because when pushed, it echos horribly (to my very trance-loving ears). The WM2 is a price/performance monster that is made like a baby's nappy - almost tossable. Treat it well and it's survive.

The DDM, for the most part, may be the most balanced of the three with simply stunning bass performance, but it doesn't pack as much of a punch as the overly (and stupidly) energetic IE8. The WM2 as an overall earphone, remains my personal favourite of the three while the DDM has me wishing its sound could be transported into another case as it is addictive and totally in a price bracket too low for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back