"Millett Hybrid" redux: NuHybrid headphone amp, using the Korg Nutube
Jul 27, 2017 at 4:47 AM Post #140 of 507
Got a part number for your heatsink?
577002B00000G. Any std package with 0.25" fin height or less should work. Might be able to pull off up to ~0.40" if mounted backward (pointed away from the 1/4 jack). I have a few in that range in my cart for whenever I pull the trigger on another digikey order. Even with the small heatsink I measure up to ~140F. Probably OK, but I'd prefer to have it run cooler.

Jul 28, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #142 of 507
Jul 28, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #143 of 507
Hey thanks a lot for answering my question. When I finally get the parts for my build, I think I'm going to stick a couple of Sparko's Labs singles in there if the specs match up.
Interesting module. Datasheet mentions unity gain stability issues and output current isn't as high as the OPA551, so wonder if you'd run into issues with harder to drive HPs and higher volumes. I haven't tried rolling myself as the OPA551s seem to be great performers, but keep us up to date if you try it.

Jul 28, 2017 at 4:27 AM Post #144 of 507
Well, I accidentally left my NuHybrid on all day while I was at work and came home to listen to some music tonight. It sounds amazing having been on all day. I imagine that isn't the best idea, but the difference is noticeable!
Ha, I've done the same. Did sound good, but it may be because I'm coming back to a warm amp after a rough day at work. haha.

Sep 9, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #146 of 507
I just built this and am really enjoying it but had a few questions about the upgraded pot. I installed it and also put the grounding wire on, but it whenever I turn the volume up or down there is distortion during the actual turning.

Also, at the very bottom and top end the amp just starts crackling and hissing. If this is the behavior of a $40 pot I'd hate to see the original, but I think it is something else, maybe something I didn't do correctly? When not changing volume it sounds sublime. Anyone else have this behavior?

Sep 9, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #147 of 507
For the input buffer transistors Q2 and Q3, did you use 2N3904 transistors? I saw some oscillation that produced noise like you described when I used FETs in those positions.

Pete

Sep 9, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #148 of 507
Also, at the very bottom and top end the amp just starts crackling and hissing. If this is the behavior of a $40 pot I'd hate to see the original, but I think it is something else, maybe something I didn't do correctly? When not changing volume it sounds sublime. Anyone else have this behavior?

Yes, I have this behavior too with the upgraded pot. Slight hissing and cracking at the bottom and top positions. Other than that it’s a great little amp and it’s currently my main amp.

For the input buffer transistors Q2 and Q3, did you use 2N3904 transistors? I saw some oscillation that produced noise like you described when I used FETs in those positions.

Pete
Pete, I am using the 2N3904 transistors, so probably the reason for the top/bottom noise is something else?

Sep 9, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #149 of 507

Pete

Yes those are the ones I ordered per the BOM. I remember I put them on first for Q so I wouldn't confuse them.

It sounds good to me and honestly I don't care about the extreme bottom and top because I'll never actually go there. Just want to make sure I didn't mess anything up.

It could be they just sent me a slightly dirty/imperfect pot which causes the noise during turning? Or maybe I need to redo the ground connection?

Yes, I have this behavior too with the upgraded pot. Slight hissing and cracking at the bottom and top positions. Other than that it’s a great little amp and it’s currently my main amp.

Pete, I am using the 2N3904 transistors, so probably the reason for the top/bottom noise is something else?

Well good to know I'm not alone.

Sep 9, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #150 of 507
Just got home and confirmed the 2N3904s are in Q2 and Q3. I think it must have something to do with the pot itself or some failing I haven't seen yet on my install or grounding of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back