Miles
Jan 29, 2002 at 10:15 PM Post #16 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
Thanks for the clarification. I make an incorrect assumption -- I purchased the Coltrane/Davis box set, and one other one, and they were all mixed up, so I assumed that the others were like that, too. Serves me right for assuming
wink.gif

What they (Sony) did to the Miles/Trane Set was UNFORGIVEABLE.
The Gil Evans Set is great, so is the Live At the Plugged Nickel Set, In A Silent Way is a little messed up in terms of track selection.

Why oh why did they screw up the Trane/Miles set?

Jan 30, 2002 at 12:33 AM Post #17 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by BenG
Yeah I really got to admire you younger members(I'm only in my 20s though) for taking the flack from some of your friends and trying something that isn't the most popular or hip thing. And yes, alot of jazz was atleast paritally responsible for the development of popular music styles. You'll hear this the more you investigate different styles and periods.

I really encourage you guys to go see some live shows and check out some newer artists as well.

Ehrm... don't you know it's "cool" to listen to music that noone else listens too?
The more obscure, old, hard-to-get etc. the better...
smily_headphones1.gif
My friends (I'm 18) go "Miles Davis... cool", but they'd wack me over the head if I bought anything with Britney Spears
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2002 at 4:24 AM Post #18 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by gaineso
...a very pretty young, early 20s, lady was at the register and she said something like , that's really neat music...

So d'j'ya get her number?

Jan 30, 2002 at 11:15 PM Post #19 of 40
I really want to get the Miles Davis/Trane set....but you guys are givin it a bad rap - and that the Trane Live At The Village Vanguard set has some amazing music.......hmm........

I need money....
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 31, 2002 at 12:20 PM Post #20 of 40
chadbang sent me Kind of Blue when I won his giveaway, I love it. It is fantastic to listen to. I really like Bill Evans as well? Are people listening to him? It seems strange no one has listed him. As for modern stuff, I really like Isotope 217, who have a great combination of jazz and some more electronic influence, and the Chicago Underground Quartet (and Trio, and Duo). I think Rob Mazurek is pretty fantastic on the cornet. mm mm.

Jan 31, 2002 at 12:41 PM Post #21 of 40
I especially enjoy Miles' fusion stuff. My fav album is "In a Silent Way". It's some sort of delicate minimalist fusion that really makes me groove. "Bitches Brew" is awesome too, "Spanish Key" (track 1, CD2) makes me go crazy everytime.

smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2002 at 7:53 PM Post #22 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by coolvij
I really want to get the Miles Davis/Trane set....but you guys are givin it a bad rap - and that the Trane Live At The Village Vanguard set has some amazing music.......hmm........

I need money....
smily_headphones1.gif

Coolvij,

The Miles/Trane set is worth buying. My expectations were just a little higher. The box set notes were outstanding. The extra tracks are great. I like the set. Just wish it was more true to the original albums and there was a disc for each original release and then the extra tracks at the end. Like the Gil Evans set. Oh well. Buying all the separate discs may be more expensive than buying the box set.

Sonically, the box set is great.

Scott

Feb 1, 2002 at 7:57 PM Post #23 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by stuartr
chadbang sent me Kind of Blue when I won his giveaway, I love it. It is fantastic to listen to. I really like Bill Evans as well? Are people listening to him? It seems strange no one has listed him. As for modern stuff, I really like Isotope 217, who have a great combination of jazz and some more electronic influence, and the Chicago Underground Quartet (and Trio, and Duo). I think Rob Mazurek is pretty fantastic on the cornet. mm mm.

Bill Evans is my alltime favorite piano player. I have lots of his stuff. Probably about 30 discs and most of the box sets that have come out in the last 4 years.

I do not know why he isn't talked about more.

Feb 2, 2002 at 9:18 PM Post #24 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by scottpaul_iu
The Miles/Trane set is worth buying. My expectations were just a little higher. The box set notes were outstanding. The extra tracks are great. I like the set. Just wish it was more true to the original albums and there was a disc for each original release and then the extra tracks at the end. Like the Gil Evans set. Oh well. Buying all the separate discs may be more expensive than buying the box set.

Sonically, the box set is great.

Good summary, scottpaul. My feelings exactly.

Jun 23, 2009 at 12:21 PM Post #25 of 40
Yes, I realize this is an old thread! It seemed more relevant than the newer ones though.

Could someone please confirm that the common recordings on the 2CD and 4CD sets are the same? I've not been able to find complete timings.

Assuming they are the same, anyone think that the 4CD set is worth more than double the 2CD set? I'm probably just being cheap, LOL.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottpaul_iu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MacDEF,

If I remember right the original Bitches Brew track list went like this:

Disc 1
1. Pharaoh's Dance
2. Bitches Brew

Disc: 2
1. Spanish Key
2. John McLaughlin
3. Miles Runs The Voodoo Down
4. Sanctuary

The 2 disc remaster also throws in Feio after Sanctuary.

The Complete Sessions follows the original track list as well. Amazon.com list the set as:

Disc: 1
1. Pharaoh's Dance
2. Bitches Brew
3. Spanish Key
4. John McLaughlin

Disc: 2
1. Miles Runs The Voodoo Down
2. Sanctuary
3. Great Expectations
4. Orange Lady
5. Yaphet
6. Corrado

Disc: 3
1. Trevere
2. The Big Green Serpent
3. The Little Blue Frog (Alt.)
4. The Little Blue Frog (Mst.)
5. Lonely Fire
6. Guinnevere

Disc: 4
1. Feio
2. Double Image
3. Recollections
4. Take It Or Leave It
5. Double Image

So everything is in there in the right sequence. The one box set that burned me was the The Complete Columbia Recordings 1955-1961 John Coltrane, Miles Davis box set that had stuff all over the place. The box sets are trying to present the music in a historical sequence kind of way. So they are giving you tracks that were also recorded at certain specific sessions sequenced together.

I still recommend the Bitches Brew Sessions box.

Jun 23, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #26 of 40
These are the 4CD timings listing:
Disc one
1. "Pharaoh's Dance" (Joe Zawinul) – 20:06
2. "Bitches Brew" (Miles Davis) – 26:58
3. "Spanish Key" (Davis) – 17:34
4. "John McLaughlin" (Davis) – 4:22

Disc two
1. "Miles Runs the Voodoo Down" (Davis) – 14:01
2. "Sanctuary" (Wayne Shorter) – 10:56
3. "Great Expectations" (Davis - Zawinul) – 13:45
4. "Orange Lady" (Zawinul) – 13:50
5. "Yaphet" (Davis) – 9:39
6. "Corrado" (Davis) – 13:11

Disc three
1. "Trevere" (Davis) – 5:55
2. "The Big Green Serpent" (Davis) – 3:35
3. "The Little Blue Frog" (alternate take) (Davis) – 12:13
4. "The Little Blue Frog" (Davis) – 9:09
5. "Lonely Fire" (Davis) – 21:09
6. "Guinnevere" (David Crosby) – 21:07

Disc four
1. "Feio" (Shorter) – 11:49
2. "Double Image" (Zawinul) – 8:25
3. "Recollections" (Zawinul) – 18:54
4. "Take It or Leave It" (Zawinul) – 2:13
5. "Double Image" (Zawinul) – 5:52

I've never heard the 2CD so I can but comment on how great this 4CD is. Very good. Of course, if you want to save up a bit I should guess the double CD would be great too
smily_headphones1.gif

Imagine a few decades ago... only LPs to show for... no box sets... still loads of fun I'm sure.

Edit:
This should be the 2CD listing (not exactly sure)

Side one
1. "Pharaoh's Dance" (Joe Zawinul) – 20:06

Side two
1. "Bitches Brew" – 27:00

Side three
1. "Spanish Key" – 17:34
2. "John McLaughlin" – 4:26

Side four
1. "Miles Runs the Voodoo Down" – 14:04
2. "Sanctuary" (Shorter) – 11:01

Reissue bonus track
1999 CD release featured a bonus cut recorded in early 1970.

1. "Feio" (Shorter) – 11:51

Jun 23, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #27 of 40
Listening to "Kind of Blue" on 200g vinyl as we speak.

"Niiiice"

Jun 23, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #28 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry bro, i already married her.

Wait a minnit - that sounds like my wife!

Jun 24, 2009 at 12:18 PM Post #29 of 40
xaval, thanks for the Sterling work. Disregarding the odd second or two, it looks as though they should be the same.

I assume you meant the 2LP set in the edit though? Regardless, the 2CD timings I did find match the 4CD timings, so all's good.

Cheers.

Jun 25, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #30 of 40
Kind of Blue is my daily bread!

By far one of my most favorite albums. I have custom remasters of all the versions - mono, stereo with speed problem, speed corrected stereo and a very special copy I keep secret about.
smily_headphones1.gif

The same goes for Time Out - I have a custom remaster of the mono and the stereo version.

The best version of Bill Evans I have are the 45RPM vinyl reissues from Analogue Productions. The 45RPM version of "Portrait" of Bill Evans is AWESOME.

Another album I highly recommend to jazz lovers is Cannonball Adderly's "Know What I Mean?" featuring Bill Evans. Awesome album as well.

Also check out all of the albums Miles Davis did for the "Prestige" label. The cheapest (and great sounding) versions are the OJC (Original Jazz Classics) versions on CD. Around $10 at the most.

Also check out the following instrumentals:

Sonny Clark - Cool Struttin'
Lee Morgan - Candy
Paul Chambers – Bass On Top
Miles Davis - Miles Ahead
Miles Davis - In A Silent Way
Miles Davis - Someday My Prince Will Come
Art Pepper - +11
Art Blakey - Night In Tunisia
Art Blakey - The Big Beat
Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers - Moanin'
Art Pepper - The Return of Art Pepper
Dave Brubeck - Dave Digs Disney
Tatsuya Takahashi & The Tokyo Union - Scandanavian Suite

and these vocals:

Jacintha - Here's to Ben
Frank Sinatra - Songs For Swingin' Lovers
Frank Sinatra - Sinatra's Swingin' Session
Chet Baker - Sings
Billie Holiday - Lady In Satin
Billie Holiday - Songs For Distingue Lovers (Find the mono and stereo versions!)
Ella Fitzgerald - Clap Hands Here Comes Charlie!
Ella Fitzgerald - Whisper Not
Anita O'Day - Waiter, Make Mine Blues
Madeleine Peyroux - Bare Bones
Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong - Ella & Louis

I know this is just a very short list and that I omitted many, many gems, but for you newbies - your in for a treat with any of these titles. Feel free to ask questions or ask for more recommendations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back