Miles
Jan 25, 2002 at 10:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

gaineso

Low Frequency Boat Owner
Picked up "Kind of Blue" and "Birth of the Cool" today at Music4Less at Belz Outlet Mall. Yeah, I should have had them years ago, and did have "Kind of Blue" on vinyl. One of the ones ex got.

Anyway, a very pretty young, early 20s, lady was at the register and she said something like , that's really neat music. I asked about her musical tastes, and she said she really liked a lot of the jazz, especially the classics like early Miles, Monk, Coltrane. She said she catches a lot of flack for listening to that "old stuff", but she just responds that it was the inspiration for everything that's come since, in just about every genre.

I was really impressed and find that it's not just the people here who still enjoy lots of different types of music. I just thought it was sort of unusual.

Jan 25, 2002 at 11:09 PM Post #2 of 40
Lol, I'm 15, and I'm just getting into jazz. First CD just came! 2 more should be here soon . . .

I catch a lot of flack for liking it. Not a big fan of Korn, etc. Basically, the bands everyone here @ school likes.

Ahhh, if I could now just find a beautiful, headphone loving, computer loving girl friend. . .

Jan 25, 2002 at 11:20 PM Post #3 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
Ahhh, if I could now just find a beautiful, headphone loving, computer loving girl friend. . .

not gunna happen. Believe me.

Jan 26, 2002 at 12:15 AM Post #6 of 40
gaineso: I am only 14 - and am a big-time fan of Coltrane....everything did, to be *precise*. Miles is great, too, though I don't like his fusion work at all....

And Monk? Mingus? Brubeck? Basie?

Love em, too...

Though I appreciate Tool as well - so I am not a pariah at school or anything
rolleyes.gif

Jan 26, 2002 at 4:54 AM Post #7 of 40
Yeah I really got to admire you younger members(I'm only in my 20s though) for taking the flack from some of your friends and trying something that isn't the most popular or hip thing. And yes, alot of jazz was atleast paritally responsible for the development of popular music styles. You'll hear this the more you investigate different styles and periods.

I really encourage you guys to go see some live shows and check out some newer artists as well.

Jan 26, 2002 at 5:48 AM Post #8 of 40
I have Kind of Blue on CD. I couldn't find the vinyl anywhere(besides, my Panasonic turntable/8-track/cassette/tuner reciever blew up few years ago). I think I will get the SACD sometime.

I like old jazz, I hate the contemporary stuff. It's rare to find peopple in my generation to like old music...

Jan 26, 2002 at 6:24 AM Post #9 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
I like old jazz, I hate the contemporary stuff. It's rare to find peopple in my generation to like old music...

There are still plenty of new musicians today that play a style of jazz very much inspired by 50s, 60s and early 70s jazz.
Most people think "smooth jazz" is the only contemporary style of jazz that is alive, which is wrong. "Smooth" jazz is not really jazz imo either. Post-Bop or Mainstream jazz is the most popular style of real jazz alive today.

I had the opportunity to see some newer musicians live last year, and some older ones, and I can say there is nothing like hearing real jazz music live, nothing.

Last year I heard the Dave holland Quintet, Nicholas Payton, Ray Brown(from Oscar Peterson's old trio), Jimmy Smith among others and had the time of my life. I and my friends may have been some of the few younger cats in attendance at alot shows, but I could've cared less, good live jazz is the most powerfull and awe inspiring music you can hear. And the PA sound was atleast decent as well
eek.gif

Jan 28, 2002 at 6:31 PM Post #10 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda
see?

gah! I'm too late!
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, I've listened to Brubeck to death(Time Out). I LOVE THIS!!!

Can't wait for davis/coltrane to come. ..

Jan 29, 2002 at 5:24 PM Post #11 of 40
I work at Best Buy and with my employee discount I could get the Bitches Brew Complete Session 4 cd set for around 43 dollars. Regular price is 60 or so. Is the extra material worth spending the money for? Or is the standard double cd album enough? Knowing me and knowing what some people here may say I may just wait until my check comes this week and shell out the cash for the complete session set. I just wanted to get some opinions here.

Jan 29, 2002 at 6:25 PM Post #12 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by FlurkingShnit
I work at Best Buy and with my employee discount I could get the Bitches Brew Complete Session 4 cd set for around 43 dollars. Regular price is 60 or so. Is the extra material worth spending the money for? Or is the standard double cd album enough? Knowing me and knowing what some people here may say I may just wait until my check comes this week and shell out the cash for the complete session set. I just wanted to get some opinions here.

I think it is definitely worth the extra coin to get the Complete Sessions set. I have it and I play the extra material quite a bit.

I think the extra material is now available on remastered discs as well for the albums that comprised that whole period.

Don' t forget the It's About Time live set either. It's from the Fillmore East show circa 1970. Brilliant set.

Jan 29, 2002 at 9:03 PM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by FlurkingShnit

To be honest, it really depends on what you're looking for:

1) His original works remastered

2) The "extra" material

If you're looking for #1, go for the separate albums that have been remastered and released. If #2, go for the box set. Unfortunately, with the Columbia Miles box sets, they really screwed up the original albums in a MAJOR way. Instead of keeping the original albums intact, and then adding the extra material as either additional material at the end of the appropriate album or as extra CDs, they've broken up all the original albums and scattered their content throughout the set. So you completely lose any "flow" or artist-intended organization provided with the actual albums.

Jan 29, 2002 at 9:15 PM Post #14 of 40
MacDEF,

If I remember right the original Bitches Brew track list went like this:

Disc 1
1. Pharaoh's Dance
2. Bitches Brew

Disc: 2
1. Spanish Key
2. John McLaughlin
3. Miles Runs The Voodoo Down
4. Sanctuary

The 2 disc remaster also throws in Feio after Sanctuary.

The Complete Sessions follows the original track list as well. Amazon.com list the set as:

Disc: 1
1. Pharaoh's Dance
2. Bitches Brew
3. Spanish Key
4. John McLaughlin

Disc: 2
1. Miles Runs The Voodoo Down
2. Sanctuary
3. Great Expectations
4. Orange Lady
5. Yaphet
6. Corrado

Disc: 3
1. Trevere
2. The Big Green Serpent
3. The Little Blue Frog (Alt.)
4. The Little Blue Frog (Mst.)
5. Lonely Fire
6. Guinnevere

Disc: 4
1. Feio
2. Double Image
3. Recollections
4. Take It Or Leave It
5. Double Image

So everything is in there in the right sequence. The one box set that burned me was the The Complete Columbia Recordings 1955-1961 John Coltrane, Miles Davis box set that had stuff all over the place. The box sets are trying to present the music in a historical sequence kind of way. So they are giving you tracks that were also recorded at certain specific sessions sequenced together.

I still recommend the Bitches Brew Sessions box.

Jan 29, 2002 at 9:52 PM Post #15 of 40
Thanks for the clarification. I make an incorrect assumption -- I purchased the Coltrane/Davis box set, and one other one, and they were all mixed up, so I assumed that the others were like that, too. Serves me right for assuming
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back