Mid range DAC with multiple outs?
Oct 26, 2007 at 6:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

unkle11

100+ Head-Fier
i would like to upgrade my dac since i use it for many applications from wireless via airtunes, to playing CDs from my dvd player, so i guess it would be worthwhile upgrade, however i would need at least 2 outputs since i run it through an integrated amp and my headphone amp as well, doing a search puts out a ton of results non of which actually helps me, so does anyone know of a dac with at least 2 outputs that is not a Beresford? (i already use that)

thanks in advance

Oct 26, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #2 of 14
Probably a silly question, but your integrated amp doesn't have a tape out or something to that effect that you could use for the headphone amp?

Oct 26, 2007 at 6:38 AM Post #3 of 14
yes it does, but i can't seem to arrange it so that only one volume knob works at any given time and i find myself fiddling around with two, i know it's not a big deal but something about that arrangement is just hugely annoying to me, if it helps, my int amp is the old musical fidelity X-A2, it has a tape loop as well as a tape out section, perhaps an expert can help explain if i can arrange my set up to just use one volume knob?
smily_headphones1.gif
in the meantime, still wondering about the dac, got about 600 bucks to spend on it i guess

Oct 26, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #6 of 14
If you conseder midrange to be under 500, the VDA2 has two rca outs. I would say that the VDA2 is the best dac I've owned SQ-wise although I like the Mini-dac better because I can run my headphones balanced direct from the dac.

Nov 4, 2007 at 10:27 AM Post #7 of 14
I'm in a similar situation as yours. I'm looking to change DAC's from the beresford, though I'm looking at options that would double as headphone amp and DAC. I'm currently eyeing the Presonus Central Station, which easily has more than 2 outputs. 1 set of RCA outs, and the rest are 1/4" TRS outs.
There isn't much in terms of reviews on head-fi about the CS though. Some positive word, but not many people have used the CS.

Nov 4, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by LostOne.TR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm currently eyeing the Presonus Central Station, which easily has more than 2 outputs. 1 set of RCA outs, and the rest are 1/4" TRS outs.
There isn't much in terms of reviews on head-fi about the CS though. Some positive word, but not many people have used the CS.

Correcting the above re: RCA out.

The Presonus CS outputs only to 1/4" TRS - speaker selected A, B or C with trim pots for each outgoing signal or Main out (no attenuator). The RCA is input only as AUX with a trim pot for the incoming signal.

Yeah there isn't much of a writup yet on the CS here. The DAC in it isn't bad, mimics the Benchmark as far as the basic sound signature but missing the ability to resolve the top of the spectrum as well as a Benchmark. Still. not too bad for the money. If you want to use the CS as a DAC, you'll only have 2 inputs, spdif (RCA) and toslink. The CS's reason for living however, isn't for the DAC.

Outputs are TRS only, so you'll need to a 1/4" TRS-to-RCA cable to run to single-ended inputs. Bridge ring & sleeve on the TRS side, the CS behaves like it has a cross-coupled output stage.

Nov 6, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by CarbonTi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah there isn't much of a writup yet on the CS here.

Have you read this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1

Presonus Central Station
Ferbose’s updated review:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...entral+Station

and the original with help from Music Man:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...entral+Station

I admit to being biased towards tube sound. My wife is a classically trained musician and I like rock, so we go to a diverse mix of live concerts from the symphony to jazz and hard rock. Tube amps just sound more like music to me for all genres particularly classical and jazz. With rock it becomes harder to choose. However, I know many musicians with home studios that swear that solid state gives them a better window into the music that is being recorded.

I was biased against the Central Station when I saw it had an opamp based headphone amp, and the opamp was not that highly regarded. But a musician
http://www.fishertheband.com/

and producer
http://www.ronw.com/studio.html

who I trust had one in his home studio so I gave it a try. I was wrong, this is a great sounding headamp. It goes to show you that parts alone do not determine the final sound quality. With all the other features such as switching flexibility, great DAC and state of the art preamp, this unit is a steal at the price. But this is only a ranking for the headphone amp.

The Central Station does almost nothing wrong. I could very happily live with it’s clean sound mated alongside rich sounding headphones like the Senn’s. The Senn’s do not really need the richness most tubes impart, but still sound surprisingly good with many tube amps. But times are good for us headphone lovers and there is a seductive quality to music played through any of the top tube amps that is tough to beat once you are used to it.

Treble
Clear but lacking the air around the intruments that comes with tubes. The decay is not as well done.

Midrange
As above

Bass
Taught and deep. I was surprised to get deep bass out of my Shure E4C.

Precise and a strong point of high end solid state

Dynamics
Good punch and plenty of power.

btw, I love mine
600smile.gif
Excellent value imo.

Nov 6, 2007 at 7:43 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
get an RCA splitter.

x2

or a switch box

Nov 6, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
btw, I love mine
600smile.gif
Excellent value imo.

Agree, it's like they used (ahem!) a design similar to a Benchmark (DAC w/2 HP outs) and added some passive switching. Then got the whole thing made in China (large "Made in China" sticker under the serial number sticker) to sell for an outstanding value. I ought to open it up to see if there the DAC chip can be identified. The CS sounds very much like a Benchmark.

Sounds good as a hp amp, alas not anything like my departed Apache (sigh). Better sound for me using the AUX inputs from a ECD-1 DAC and bypassing the internal DAC. Thing about using pro audio gear is the priority is to sound accurate and not neccesarily musical - which is good for work but not much for fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back