Mid priced IEM cables thread.
Jan 11, 2024 at 11:02 PM Post #1,711 of 1,855
Hi guys, I'm looking for an alternative cable for my ThieAudio Hype 2 that help to boost the midrange/vocal and slightly on other, is there any good in range 200$?
Effect Audio Eros S = sublime. Just sublime. 😎🥂👍

It's just not only a price to ratio product but really a top elite product of it's own. Call me "impressed".

About the price = second hand or sales (Hifigo for instance) 😉

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 11:21 PM Post #1,712 of 1,855
Effect Audio Eros S = sublime. Just sublime. 😎🥂👍

It's just not only a price to ratio product but really a top elite product of it's own. Call me "impressed".

About the price = second hand or sales (Hifigo for instance) 😉
+1 :100:

Jan 11, 2024 at 11:36 PM Post #1,713 of 1,855
Hi guys, I'm looking for an alternative cable for my ThieAudio Hype 2 that help to boost the midrange/vocal and slightly on other, is there any good in range 200$?
NiceHCK GrrenMood would be a excellent cable choice I find it does exactly that.

Jan 12, 2024 at 3:40 PM Post #1,715 of 1,855
Can anyone recommend the NiceHCK OurLaura cable? Is the DragonScale cable still competitive?
The Dragonscale didn't wow me. The GreenMood certainly did.

Jan 24, 2024 at 7:51 PM Post #1,716 of 1,855
I will never forget the time I was contemplating to buy a close to $4000 dollar IEM and I PMed a reviewer who had just reviewed them. He answered only one single question of mine, so yes he did get back to me……….but it was all of a sentence or two of help? He refused to answer any more questions. I never forgot that reviewer and his response. A $4000.00 possible purchase? I purchased the IER-Z1r instead and I’m glad I did.

So when I get PMs I always try to help the person who wrote me.

Here is a question I got about possible cables additives for the OKAVANGO IEM.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/hisenior-okavango.26620/reviews#review-31915

He asked about the White Whale Cable, the SPACE cable, the included cable, the Penon ASOS cable, the Penon Mix cable and the ISN G4 cable.

This is with the switches in the both-up position.

DSC_0136.jpegqwqwq.jpeg

The Mix:
The Mix was also (photographed) and tried with the Penon Rhodium plated plug. Really with the pure silver wire of the Mix, mixed with other pure copper wires the Rhodium would service other combos other than the OKAVANGO IEM and Mix. Meaning the regular gold platted plug offered a slight warmth that was less harsh in the treble region. Though surprisingly the Mix was a great match for the OKAVANGO making the IEM wide in stage and itemized in performance. I still can’t get over how much the regular plug (included set-up) was really the way to go. Also I had doubts about the Mix possibly being too bright with the OKAVANGO, but no any fears were put to rest. Probably the value here was the separation (so the cable sounds like it looks) where there was a separated distance between sound elements here.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/the-penon-rhodium-plated-modular-plug.26746/reviews#review-31868

The SPACE:
Coming off with full stage force the SPACE really leaves much of the tonality of the OKAVANGO alone, seemingly bigger and wider in comparison to the included cable?

The White Whale:
Here this is pushed as the HiSenior upgrade cable for many of their products in including the OKAVANGO. While not quite as airy as the SPACE the physical difference here is this is the one cable here today that comes with ear-hooks, though I’m pretty sure you can order any cable with ear-hooks from Penon/ISN? Still I couldn’t get over how simply pure the White Whale was, adding a smidge of stage as well as lower midrange thickness. Never was the OKAVANGO showing and stark treble of intensity. Due to this stature the bass was also enhanced, except it didn’t have the crisp fireworks of the Mix, nor the tonal weight in the midrange or treble…………or simply the stage positioning of the ISN G4?

The ISN G4:
Come-on……this is pretty much a staple here at Redcarmoose Labs. Yet when I did my OKAVANGO review I used different ear-tips. Yet today with the tips shown in the photograph the G4 is doing its standard magic. Not as boisterous in the treble as the Mix, yet treble and midrange enhancements over the included cable, and a stage difference. Yet the way I describe the G4 is the Graphene sound. Where yes, the bass is slightly diminished yet still hearable? The tone down but still accentuated midrange and treble hold a slightly thicker stance and cohesive qualities. I mean this is what Graphene does most of the time. I may not be finding the exact match-up for this member, yet I’m just explaining what I hear. Nothing wrong with getting the G4 and calling it a day. Just remember it will be slightly midrange and treble pushed and itemized, where the White Whale is warmer down low (below the belt) and gives of slightly more bass action, yet this style of bass it completely good, it is just not the most the OKAVANGO does in the bass department. Still while ever so slightly diminished the bass sitting back it clear and round and hold texture, just not as forward as some cables.

The Penon ASOS:
So this is one I’m really excited to try!

$169.90
https://penonaudio.com/Penon-ASOS.html

Yes it is the most expensive cable today.

But what it did was probably the very best too? Where here was the stage (maybe the stage of the SPACE) except there was more transparency and more clarity? Even a guided physicality over the Mix, in that it was a hair smoother? Except that smoothness was directly the response of simply more weight to the instruments and vocals? It was best today, and the bass while clear was more of a spectrum of tones…………….yep, more detail to hear the bass in its very own stage opening up and showing a blackness of background which simply let the details flow? The bass was more separated and detailed in the end? Vocals were both smooth and held a wonderful forwardness that wasn't really forwardness but only clarity maybe?

DSC_0112.jpegww.jpeg

DSC_0265.jpegaaa.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #1,717 of 1,855
Anyone have experience with the NiceHCK Our Laura?

Feb 2, 2024 at 8:06 AM Post #1,720 of 1,855
Hey guys, my Gladiator Fusione Harmony review is now online here. Enjoy!

FH_01.jpg
I have this in the headphone version for my Meze Elite. In my case I was able to order it with dyneema coverage and Aeco (4-pin XLR) and Furutech (headphone side) connectors. I'm quite happy with it and although it wasn't a night and day change from the stock one, there's no going back!

Feb 7, 2024 at 2:15 PM Post #1,721 of 1,855
So I spent the last few days reading this thread. Lots of information to digest but I’m curious what have we decided the effect of Palladium is on sound characteristics?

Also, does anyone have an opinion, strong or not, on HiClass cables? They make some great looking stuff I think but seems QC could be an issue.

Thanks everyone!

Feb 7, 2024 at 2:20 PM Post #1,722 of 1,855
So I spent the last few days reading this thread. Lots of information to digest but I’m curious what have we decided the effect of Palladium is on sound characteristics?

Also, does anyone have an opinion, strong or not, on HiClass cables? They make some great looking stuff I think but seems QC could be an issue.

Thanks everyone!
Monk gets into this very subject in this video.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 8:20 PM Post #1,724 of 1,855
Has anyone tried the NiceHCK 1950saga? I'd be grateful for impressions.

My set just completed 500 hours in the oven. Pairing it today with 634Ears Loak-BSB
Sounds refined, open and fluid. Pretty good details, soundstage and technical performance for $115

a42434f8-6af5-4e4f-960f-32faccbd554a.jpg

Feb 15, 2024 at 8:37 PM Post #1,725 of 1,855
Anyone have experience with the NiceHCK Our Laura?

Very musical and very slightly thick sounding with more emphasis on mids. Perfect with slightly brighter IEMs. YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back