Mid priced IEM cables thread.
Nov 7, 2023 at 11:40 PM Post #1,681 of 1,871
Ya it is more shielded than plated. I wrote most of that review before posting, I found out it was shielded I will have to change my wording on my review later. I would say if you need a secondary cable for a different IEM I would go for the Wolfram. What is important is how I described what that cable does. It is difficult to go back to a stock cable after using the Wolfram. At the price they are asking for a set that cable is most definitely worth getting a set.

I havent done a head to head comparison to the Mix but I think the Wolfram is right up there with the Mix in what it does. It is at that level of cable. With the Mix you can tell it has more copper properties to what it does. The wolfram is more silver in what it does but with the copper element that smooths out that silver so ya while both cable use both copper and silver they are different in how they present sound. I think it is different enough to get a set especially if you want a cable that is just as good as the Mix but different at the same time for another IEM you use.
Hello. First of all, thanks for the reviews. It's very useful.

I currently own Moondrop Blessing 2 and just got Moondrop S8. For cable, I own Penon GS948. Now, I'm looking for a upgrade cable replacement for S8 stock cable. I'm considering between Penon Mix and Tri Audio Wolfram. From your experience, what these 2 cables will add/affect Moondrop S8? And which one would you recommend considering I mainly listen to Jazz, Classical, Female Vocal, Pop, a little bit of Rock? Thank you in advance for your recommendation. And will these two have similarity with GS849?

Ps. Other cable recommendation under $150 is appreciated. Max at $200.

Nov 9, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #1,682 of 1,871

I currently own Moondrop Blessing 2 and just got Moondrop S8. For cable, I own Penon GS948. Now, I'm looking for a upgrade cable replacement for S8 stock cable. I'm considering between Penon Mix and Tri Audio Wolfram. From your experience, what these 2 cables will add/affect Moondrop S8? And which one would you recommend considering I mainly listen to Jazz, Classical, Female Vocal, Pop, a little bit of Rock? Thank you in advance for your recommendation. And will these two have similarity with GS849?

Can't say due to not having the S8 but I can recommend a new cable that just came out that is very versatile for IEMs.
1699564177855.png

My recent take on the new Penon ASOS cable. Excellent quality at the price point. https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/penon-asos.26795/review/32029/ read the sound descriptor if that sounds good to you, I can't recommend a better cable for the price.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2023 at 10:01 PM Post #1,683 of 1,871
Can't say due to not having the S8 but I can recommend a new cable that just came out that is very versatile for IEMs.
1699564177855.png

My recent take on the new Penon ASOS cable. Excellent quality at the price point. https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/penon-asos.26795/review/32029/ read the sound descriptor if that sounds good to you, I can't recommend a better cable for the price.
Appreciate your reply. I will check this new cable out. Thanks man!!

Nov 10, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #1,684 of 1,871
I'm stacking coupons for this 11.11 looking around for cables.
I was wondering If the NiceHCK DragonScale was worth it for the sales. Does anyone have any experience with it?
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EvGzjif
I also saw in the comment section of the NiceHCK Spacecloud Ultra a very good resistance measurement from the cable. Any opinions about it?
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EJeazjp

Nov 10, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #1,685 of 1,871

The Tri Wolfram is a good cable imo and when offered for the ~100 Euro I got it for.

Even better soundwise in my experience (with Hybrid and Tribrid IEM) is this even cheaper one from XINHS
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EGlzU1t

Nov 10, 2023 at 11:44 PM Post #1,686 of 1,871
The Tri Wolfram is a good cable imo and when offered for the ~100 Euro I got it for.
I bought my one for $26 during the last sell.

Nov 13, 2023 at 12:16 AM Post #1,687 of 1,871

So this is a story about adding the Penon ASOS to a few of your big boys.
DSC_0112.jpegw.jpeg

DSC_0245.jpegaa.jpeg

DSC_0249.jpegqqq.jpeg

DSC_0252.jpegaqaqa.jpeg

DSC_0250.jpegwqwqqw.jpeg

DSC_0265.jpegaaa.jpeg

To make a long story short the ASOS will go ahead and add refinement plus a little treble energy and stage that with the ISN EST50 is a welcome blast to enhance midrange and clean/clear-up bass focus. It makes the Penon VOLT milky smooth and makes the midrange sound like 5 IEMs all at once. The Nobel Audio Encore K-10 ends fine, except it may be too hot (for some) at the upper midrange/treble shelf, creating a push in that specific area, and still letting the neutral bass of the Encore shine by delineating it and letting it be......only focusing it better. The 10th gets the slight clean-up too........which shows an amazing lower midrange lushness, kinda what the ASOS Cable does to add lushness to the VOLT midrange?

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2023 at 10:30 PM Post #1,689 of 1,871
NICEHCK OurLaura just came in the mail yesterday. Hugely surprised how good it sounded out of the box with 634 Ears BSB & TC
The last few cables (DualDragon, AceOrpheus & CoaxialSir Ultra) I got from them have all been excellent

62b0007e-d486-464f-881b-8a1c4ab1482f.jpg
What difference between DualDragon and AceOrpheus?

Nov 20, 2023 at 12:02 AM Post #1,690 of 1,871
DualDragon is technically more accomplished; the bass hits slightly harder and deeper, vocals sound more polished and treble is cleaner with more sparkle

AceOrpheus scores with the more organic and rose-tinted beautiful presentation in vocals. Bass is slightly more loose and treble a touch less clean. Overall signature very slightly thicker sound

I use the DualDragon on 634 Ears Loak-BSB and the AceOrpheus on Tansio Mirai Akiba

Nov 23, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #1,691 of 1,871
Clan Audio Type 6 Litz Copper 8 wire with Aeco hardware

1700779496625.png

Nov 24, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #1,692 of 1,871
DualDragon is technically more accomplished; the bass hits slightly harder and deeper, vocals sound more polished and treble is cleaner with more sparkle

AceOrpheus scores with the more organic and rose-tinted beautiful presentation in vocals. Bass is slightly more loose and treble a touch less clean. Overall signature very slightly thicker sound

I use the DualDragon on 634 Ears Loak-BSB and the AceOrpheus on Tansio Mirai Akiba
thank you, ordered DualDragon for test :)

Dec 15, 2023 at 7:17 AM Post #1,693 of 1,871

So now I'm back on the cable scene trying to upgrade my Kato to sound more better with male vocals.

I bought many many cables almost a couple of years back and from them the isn ag8, os849, and a cheap 5n upocc single crystal copper cable were my favourites with the latter being my ultimate favourite since it makes male vocals thicker, forward and also adds this beautiful tone to the sound which the os849 can't match. Maybe it's the upocc that's giving this nice sound effect but I'm not sure? Also, don't get me wrong, the os849 does also add these qualities aswell but I feel this certain upocc single crystal cable just does it a little better with male vocals but has overall worse clarity and speed.

Now what would your recommendation be for an upgrade over that upocc single crystal cable I own? I just want it to sound similar with more clarity and preciseness without detracting from noteweight and body aswell.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 7:44 AM Post #1,694 of 1,871
So now I'm back on the cable scene trying to upgrade my Kato to sound more better with male vocals.

I bought many many cables almost a couple of years back and from them the isn ag8, os849, and a cheap 5n upocc single crystal copper cable were my favourites with the latter being my ultimate favourite since it makes male vocals thicker, forward and also adds this beautiful tone to the sound which the os849 can't match. Maybe it's the upocc that's giving this nice sound effect but I'm not sure? Also, don't get me wrong, the os849 does also add these qualities aswell but I feel this certain upocc single crystal cable just does it a little better with male vocals but has overall worse clarity and speed.

Now what would your recommendation be for an upgrade over that upocc single crystal cable I own? I just want it to sound similar with more clarity and preciseness without detracting from noteweight and body aswell.
Without knowing a budget, the best of the best in terms of UPOCC copper would be the Effect Audio Ares S 8W. In addition to the quality of the copper, the multi-strand structure of different diameters helps with separation and clarity without losing note weight. Personally, I don't have it, but I have code 23, which would be a further evolution, but not very ergonomic.

EA has also had a very interesting option as a special Christmas edition, in which they mixed the Ares S and the Cadmus (Silver Plated Copper). It seems that the limited edition has already been sold, but you can still order the cable, with the usual elements of the Signature series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back