Mid priced IEM cables thread.
Sep 11, 2023 at 12:08 AM Post #1,651 of 1,855
Anyone familiar with or have thoughts on this offering from Hakugei?

(Dark Night God Litz 6N OCC Copper Earphone Cable)

IMG_1474.jpeg

Sep 18, 2023 at 5:02 AM Post #1,653 of 1,855
I have been going down the road in buying cables from Gladiator Cables.
First off, I have never been a big cable believer and I think both sides of the debate should be respected. While lately I am in the middle road on the believing part 😁

What started with just getting a nice cable to match the design of my Aurora, ended up being upgraded to a thicker better Japanese copper with also better 4.4mm plug in copper.
Its a thick cable, but for some reason one of my most comfortable ones due to have the fabric and how malleable it is.
I guess he got more orders, so he have it as a stock cable now.
A solid copper cable with great note weight and resolution, and is a step up from the coppers I have had before from XINHS and Penon.

In the end it ended up on my Neon Pro, look cool together and matches the tonality of NP.

https://gladiatorcables.com/caesar-line/p/astra-rame

Then my two new cables, I wanted to test something new I have never tried before.
After a nice talk with Antonio I settled on Pure Silver with Palladium Coating, seems like this is also coming soon as a option in the Ceasar line.

Was not sure what to expect here, expected it to be bright since it is silver.
But it is more like a microscope cable, super resolving and stage is extra large. Bass is tight, mids open and clear and treble extended but not bright just correct.

Then its my third cable, I have been thinking for a long while to get a new cable for my ZMF Verite. One that is shorter, but also copper 8 wire as my Forza AudioWorks Claire HPC.
Ended up on this Copper Japanese Coffee Litz Type 2 8 wire, the Claire HPC cable I had is a great cable already. This has slight more fulness and impactfull low end without sacrificing technicalities, so for me a better cable than my old one.

https://gladiatorcables.com/caesar-line/p/coffee-litz

Only wanted to share as I have found my experience very satisfying of both the cables and my interaction with the maker in Antonio from Italy.
Already talked about getting in on his next project, a limited release called Cleopatra with a nice combination of material.

What's the ergonomics like on the fabric braided iem cable when looped over and behind the ear? I'd much rather have fabric touching my ear than plastic. Is it bulky with the braid? Thanks!

Sep 18, 2023 at 5:14 AM Post #1,654 of 1,855
What's the ergonomics like on the fabric braided iem cable when looped over and behind the ear? I'd much rather have fabric touching my ear than plastic. Is it bulky with the braid? Thanks!
Slightly bulky, but for me it gets a more snug and comfortable fit. The fabric is not the softest, but okay.

Ergonomics can be very different as my ear points slightly out.

Minimal of microphonics, usually I am against fabric. But here it has been good.

Sep 18, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #1,656 of 1,855
Just my advice I think it's better to stick with plastic cables as if you don't keep a good hygiene with the fabric you may get all sorts of allergies. I have seen a fabric sleeved cable crawling with booklice (not mine) because it is harder to clean the fabric. Alternatively I think you can try asking the maker to make the splitter/chin slider lower, around where your belly button is located so the wires won't kiss your skin like a normal cable. I have all my cables with the splitter/chin slider around 60cm from the 2-pin.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2023 at 10:20 PM Post #1,658 of 1,855
@saldsald "I have all my cables with the splitter/chin slider around 60cm from the 2-pin."
That's freakin long.
What's the total length of the actual cable?
No it's not much longer. 60cm incluses the earhook length.
20230919_101819.jpg
The top one is my DIY cable and cable factories actually have the splitter positioned lower nowadays already. They're used to be like 30-40 cm from the 2pin.

Total length still 1.25m.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2023 at 12:07 AM Post #1,660 of 1,855
Well, my weekend listening takes a weird, experimental route ahead of next week's canjam in Socal, my first, during which I hope to learn something.

My primary love has been Xe6 paired with an EA Code 23. Sublime. But unfortunately, the C23 is starting to have some issues; a slight drop in right channel sound level if I move the wrong way, and the problem is getting worse. I contacted EA and will have them repair or replace it, likely at CanJam.

So I switched to my PW FT, but not before testing Ares 8w, which sounded awesome, but not quite the C23. After a couple of days with FT, I was feeling like something was missing based on my memory of C23, making me appreciate it more.

Cut to the chase, I looked at my cables and knowing I wanted copper, decided to switch out FT with what amounts to one of my cheapest cables, a NiceHCK BlackCat, which I've liked with some ChiFi iems I have. It's copper, "oil soaked" at that! Whatever, it turns out to have been a good find and utility player.

But the blasphemy of connecting this now $20 cable to a $4k TOTL seemed ridiculous, but why not try it!? 3 hours in to my solo Friday night and I'm nothing short of blown away. The sound is far closer to C23 than FT was! What!? I don't think it's the Friday night drink talking either, as I scroll thru my test list, this sounds insanely good! Hard, thick bass and glorious separation of instruments, much like C23, though not quite as refined. Strangely, the cable, hardware and ergonomics are a nice match with Xe6😁, better than C23 which will win no ergo tests.

So, the cable debate goes cookoo in my head on this Friday. Happy weekend, all!!
20230922_201739.jpg

Sep 26, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #1,665 of 1,855
Any cable in this price range similar to what the Dunu HULK Pro Mini offers in modularity and feel?
I'm not sure what price range this is, but Effect Audio has the best modularity I've seen. Its Signature series falls within the prices of the Dunu Mini.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back