Mid priced IEM cables thread.
Oct 30, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #526 of 1,855
Should I be concerned that my os849 cable very rarely loses its sound on one side of the cable then comes back again? I realised right at the end of the cable if I give it a wiggle only sometimes it can lose the sound and comes back again. I'm just worried the problem could get worse but as of right now the sound loss occurred to me once through normal listening which had me confused.

Oct 30, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #528 of 1,855
Should I be concerned that my os849 cable very rarely loses its sound on one side of the cable then comes back again? I realised right at the end of the cable if I give it a wiggle only sometimes it can lose the sound and comes back again. I'm just worried the problem could get worse but as of right now the sound loss occurred to me once through normal listening which had me confused.
If you notice that again I would message Penon about the issue.

They have a right to believe what they want to believe. It is a touchy subject among enthusiasts. Some hear changes with cables and some don't. I think it comes down to ones own experiences with cables. Not a big deal really.

To be honest I wish I couldnt hear any differences at all. That would have saved me a lot of money. Lol.

Oct 30, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #529 of 1,855
If you notice that again I would message Penon about the issue.

They have a right to believe what they want to believe. It is a touchy subject among enthusiasts. Some hear changes with cables and some don't. I think it comes down to ones own experiences with cables. Not a big deal really.

To be honest I wish I couldnt hear any differences at all. That would have saved me a lot of money. Lol.
crap happens when you hear that little difference LoL. I used to laugh at "expensive" (mainly over 20 euro) cables, now I believe that different build quality, cable material and plug quality would have an slight effect on the IEM. I call the difference made by cables "atmospheric" because It is kinda hard to explain.

Oct 30, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #530 of 1,855
If you try to hear the difference with cables, but can not, its because you did not spend enough on your equipment. If you don't have at a bare minimum an upper mid fi headphone or stereo speaker rig, you will not be able to hear the difference in cables. I would say the same for DAPs and IEMs. I can hear the difference in cables in my HiBy R6 Pro, Ibasso DX 220 and A&K SE 200. I don't even try with my Hiby R3.

Nov 3, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #531 of 1,855
There is someone in head fi too, in IEM forum, saying that source doesnt make difference. Obviously cable makes a difference seems utter joke for them. Everyone just different, i have ier-z1r, n i dont found the difference in using my s8 with my desktop rig(bifrost multibit+aune amp) except just some dynamic that come from the power drive the amp has. I just didnt hear anything, n before that, i have ex800st+EA janus, n used the same desktop rig compared to phone, i dont hear the difference, i try but cannot hear the difference, then just 1 month ago(kind of), i sell my z1r, bcs it just not fit for my ears, and the subbass killing me, it does slam si hard, n i dont like prominent bass compared to other ranges, then i planning to bought another IEM, but decided to bought dx220 max just days ago, before all this, my first bought into IEM realm was CA comet, but the right side was kind of not as loud as the left one, its my fault for not taking care of it, then after i sell z1r, i use it again n found it not that bad, then after i decide to bought dx220max, i felt like i definetly heard differences between sources, that i have not heard. I definetly heard the difference of how the max rendering the song compared to my phone. So to my knowledge n experience, as long as u have entry to mid range IEM, trying much more higher up source, or maybe upgrading it gonna make the difference more apparent, then why my desktop rig doesnt make difference, well the thing is that i found out the amp tube, some of the light is not as bright as some other, but bcs it is still producing sound so i dont think about it much, so then it could be one of the factor, n then the connection between the pc(player) to the dac, im thinking the pc electric is not clean, bcs i found out it does electrified when i touch the dac or some parts of the amp, n ir could be the cable that goes from dac to amp. Well the point is i proved my self that source do have an effect, in fact imo right now, source is more critical than IEM, ur source need to be able to producing those details, so that the IEM could do the same, obviously if the IEM is not quite good, then u could say its bottlenecking the chain. Now i need to try cables n found an used andromeda, then im done. Sorry for blabbing.

Nov 4, 2020 at 2:37 AM Post #532 of 1,855
I currently own 2 thick cables, the isn s16 and os849. What I have noticed is both of these cables are unique in there natural sound depth which none of my other thinner cables can offer. On top of that the os849 doesn't sacfrice any detail despite having that added fullness and depth. Definitely one of the best spc cables I have heard.

However, I've realised I'm becoming more fond of a lively, detailed sound these days so I am thinking of a pure silver cable in isn ag8 with that thick core presence is the way to go for me. Would of got leo+ but it probably won't add that fullnes and depth I'm looking for and I have also read somewhere that it has less mids presence compared to the ag8 which makes the ag8 seem like an overall solid choice for pure vocals.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 3:02 AM Post #535 of 1,855
5B7AE26A-7D4B-423A-B7F3-A7D17C7190B2.jpeg
E00F5B5F-C546-4F2E-95F6-403F6C3BF64F.jpeg
F797B610-5E5F-4C13-A1EA-BC471DCAF75F.jpeg

Just got this CEMA Tianwaitian and all I can say is Holy Cow. Everything got microscopically magnified and expanded with super lushness. My MEST sounds like a totally different earphones tonight.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back