Mid priced IEM cables thread.
Sep 29, 2020 at 9:24 PM Post #466 of 1,883
Glad that worked out for you. OSG just looks like your average SPC cable but that graphene, lol. Even the cheaper OS849 cable looks to have more substance than the OSG but that sound is much more substantial than how they look.

Sep 30, 2020 at 2:44 AM Post #467 of 1,883
Got the OSG on the MEST as I am typing. I went back n forth from the stock cable. The OSG is indeed an upgrade on the stock cable. Sounds more dynamic more dimensional. Cleaner sounding overall but going back to the stock cable instruments separation is not as good. It does add a bit of mids definition since everything is separated so well. Treble sounds cleaner vs the stock cable. Like I mentioned before I am not a fan of this stock cable. There is no possible way this cable is worth $424 they sell on musicteck.com. Goes to show you how good Penon cables are in comparison. OSG is cheaper and sounds better on the MEST there is no comparison. OSG might be what your looking for. This sounds so good on the MEST I might have to use it on the MEST instead of the Totems and use the Totems on my Solaris.

It don't matter what earphone the Totems are on it brings everything up a tier or two in sonics. Love how good the OSG is. Very versatile cable the OSG.

Thanks for those impressions, really appreciate it. The stock cable for the Mest is horrible, I can't believe it costs that much to be honest...crazy! I never use it. I've mainly used to Leo Plus as mentioned before, which is great but too much emphasis on the highs and thins out the mids a little. How do you think the OSG compares in this respect? If it does give more body to the mids whilst keeping bass as is, along with the great separation and clarity then it could be a better choice than the OS849 at the moment.

Sep 30, 2020 at 7:55 AM Post #469 of 1,883
I have another OSG on order for my ThieAudio Monarch and the Totem with only a 2.5 balanced to 4.4 balanced pigtail for other IEMs. Loved what the OSG did for my Solaris SE.
Yes, I fell for Dsnuts Totem hype. Might be the real thing based on my past experience with his recommendations.

Sep 30, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #470 of 1,883
Thanks for those impressions, really appreciate it. The stock cable for the Mest is horrible, I can't believe it costs that much to be honest...crazy! I never use it. I've mainly used to Leo Plus as mentioned before, which is great but too much emphasis on the highs and thins out the mids a little. How do you think the OSG compares in this respect? If it does give more body to the mids whilst keeping bass as is, along with the great separation and clarity then it could be a better choice than the OS849 at the moment.

it is excatly how you describe the differences of the Leo Plus vs the OSG. OSG is copper based so it will not thin out mid ranges like silver cables do. Leo Plus has its uses and I love how they sound on my Luna but Leo Plus is not a good match for the MEST. OSG however is what your looking for.

What are the differences between Penon Leo and Penon Leo +?
Leo Plus uses a palladium coating I believe over silver. Standard Leo is a pure silver cable.

I have another OSG on order for my ThieAudio Monarch and the Totem with only a 2.5 balanced to 4.4 balanced pigtail for other IEMs. Loved what the OSG did for my Solaris SE.
Yes, I fell for Dsnuts Totem hype. Might be the real thing based on my past experience with his recommendations.

If your not floored with what the TOTEM does you can call me out you got my permission. Lol.

Sep 30, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #471 of 1,883
it is excatly how you describe the differences of the Leo Plus vs the OSG. OSG is copper based so it will not thin out mid ranges like silver cables do. Leo Plus has its uses and I love how they sound on my Luna but Leo Plus is not a good match for the MEST. OSG however is what your looking for.

Many thanks, I'll pick up the OSG for now :)

Sep 30, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #472 of 1,883

Leo Plus uses a palladium coating I believe over silver. Standard Leo is a pure silver cable.

If your not floored with what the TOTEM does you can call me out you got my permission. Lol.

I meant the difference between Leo and Leo + in terms of sound, of musicality.

Sep 30, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #473 of 1,883
1601083640015.png

So my gut feeling was right about these pigtail adapters.
I have been testing this cable and as crazy as this sounds. When you use these pigtail adapters it does have an effect on other cables. I am using my Penon Orbs and a Gu craftsman pure silver cable on it. I went from directly plugging in my cable into my Shanling M6pro in the 2.5mm slot and then I connected the 4.4mm adapter of the Totems onto the Shanling and plugged the Gu craftsman cable on the pigtail adapter.

Sound stage is expanded and actually gives a bit of the properties of the Totem cable here, a bit better definition and note distinction like the Totems but to a lesser extent. And this is going back and forth several times on the same tune. There is a clear difference in using this Totem adapter vs not using it.

If you guys can imagine a small adapter having an affect on a sound, imagine just how much the entire cable has an effect on the sound.
Like I said these are substantial. So much so the little adapters make a positive change to the sonics.

So for folks not liking these adapters. Let me put it this way I am now going to use my 4.4mm out of both my M15 and Shanling M6pro with my other cables plugged into this adapter. A bit of Totem material on your existing cables is what I am talking about supercharges your cables.
hi, can u comment how it sounds on solaris 2020

Sep 30, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #474 of 1,883
A great cable for the Solaris is the OSG but I can tell you what it did with my OG Solaris. Don't own the 2020. This is a snippet from my review I am working on and the Solaris was the 2nd earphone I tried it on.

With the Solaris which already has a high level of detail and immersive nature to the tuning. With the Totem It becomes my own personal concert hall. Just astounded by how more spacious it sounds using this cable. Music notes be it drums to guitars to vocal performances sound even more refined with better distinction than what the stock tuning had in mind. Sounding even more higher end and the sound now has a sophistication that I never knew the Solaris could do. What was dimensional before now surrounds. What was articulate now with even a higher degree of immersiveness than what the Solaris was initially known for. More rich in tone, more spacious, with supreme clarity for the treble, full bodied mids with better instrument separation. Bass has even more authority. Solaris has become another beast altogether.

Oct 1, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #475 of 1,883
Got the CEMA's Chime Palace series yesterday to pair with my U12T. First thing I noticed: bass has more autority, imaging is improved as is soundstage. It adds some sort of "sweetness" to the U12T's sound. It retains and improves all the details and characteristics of the U12T, but smooth everything out. It's really impressive!

I quickly compared the Chime cable VS Penon's Leo Plus and the Chime is as revealing as the Leo Plus, but with more "sweetness" as I previously said. It's really hard to describe, but I really like that kind of sound. It's highly technical without being clinical or boring.

I guess the new Totem cable gives the same kind of results to the IEM it is paired with. Maybe it's better? Maybe not... I won't know because I don't plan on buying a new cable anytime soon :smile:

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #476 of 1,883
Got a question for folks on this thread. I have been using the Totem flagship cable from Penon and I will say it is a substantial cable. The adapter thing. I had no idea a simple adapter could affect the sonics of my other cables but I am consistently finding that my other cables actually benefit from plugging into the Totem adapter. The little pigtail adapter enhances whatever cable you attach it to. Usually with a exapansion of sonics but for silver based cables it adds some richness in tone and even better separation. For copper based cables definitely benefits from more of an expanded stage.

Penon asked me if you guys are interested in them making adapters with the Totem material. They are trying to guage interest. I would imagine it would be in around the sub $100 range the material is expensive but it makes everything you attach to sound better. What say you.

For my use case senario I have a variety of DAPs I use for reviews and music. Most of them have 2.5mm balanced out so I order all my cables in 2.5mm balanced. I have been using pigtail adapters from Ibasso to use the same cable if I want to use in balanced or to my M15 or Shanling M6pro in 4.4 balanced out. The reason why I know the Totem adapters makes a difference is because I A/Bed against the 2.5mm and 4.4mm using the adapters. It makes a clear difference just that bit of material

I know most guys will not be able to affort a $800 cable but that adapter makes a big difference if you do plan on using an adapter. Let me know so I can relay the message. So far there hasn't been anything like them in the market place so this is the reason why I wanted to ask here.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #477 of 1,883
Got a question for folks on this thread. I have been using the Totem flagship cable from Penon and I will say it is a substantial cable. The adapter thing. I had no idea a simple adapter could affect the sonics of my other cables but I am consistently finding that my other cables actually benefit from plugging into the Totem adapter. The little pigtail adapter enhances whatever cable you attach it to. Usually with a exapansion of sonics but for silver based cables it adds some richness in tone and even better separation. For copper based cables definitely benefits from more of an expanded stage.

Penon asked me if you guys are interested in them making adapters with the Totem material. They are trying to guadge interest. I would imagine it would be in around the sub $100 range the material is expensive but it makes everything you attach to sound better. What say you.

For my use case senario I have a variety of DAPs I use for reviews and music. Most of them have 2.5mm balanced out so I order all my cables in 2.5mm balanced. I have been using pigtail adapters from Ibasso to use the same cable if I want to use in balanced or to my M15 or Shanling M6pro in 4.4 balanced out. The reason why I know the Totem adapters makes a difference is because I A/Bed against the 2.5mm and 4.4mm using the adapters. It makes a clear difference just that bit of material

I know most guys will not be able to affort a $800 cable but that adapter makes a big difference if you do plan on using an adapter. Let me know so I can relay the message. So far there hasn't been anything like them in the market place so this is the reason why I wanted to ask here.
this cable is really intriguing, could you discuss with them maybe, the aesthetics of that cable and choice of connectors. As I am sure if that cable is as great as it sounds, it really deserves to be better looking

Oct 1, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #478 of 1,883
I am trying to buy a Totem with just one adapter, but having communication problems with Penon.

Oct 1, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #480 of 1,883

Penon asked me if you guys are interested in them making adapters with the Totem material. They are trying to guage interest. I would imagine it would be in around the sub $100 range the material is expensive but it makes everything you attach to sound better. What say you.

I'd be interested for sure. If the length is short and the price is low enough. $65 is my max.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back