Mid priced IEM cables thread.
Jun 18, 2020 at 8:04 PM Post #151 of 1,871
Cool that you've also noticed! What kind of source are you using btw? I've noticed sources of varying output impedance can affect the details, silence the empty space between them, and make the bass even more controlled. Same thing happened when I changed to the 175 from stock, cause it also "lowers the source impedance"

I'm currently using the Opus #2 (impedance is 2Ohm in standard 3.5mm). It's considered an "old" dap these days... Maybe I should buy a new one :sweat_smile: One thing I noticed though, the U12t sounds kinda good from my phone (Motorola Moto G7+). What about yours?

Jun 18, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #152 of 1,871
I'm currently using the Opus #2 (impedance is 2Ohm in standard 3.5mm). It's considered an "old" dap these days... Maybe I should buy a new one :sweat_smile: One thing I noticed though, the U12t sounds kinda good from my phone (Motorola Moto G7+). What about yours?

I'm even worse, just using a Note9. No official data on impedance on that one, but my PC has a somewhat good audio card at 2Ohm and it makes me angry how good it sounds by comparison. So I'm kind of looking out for options :) The DAC should play a role too, though I have no experience with that.

Jun 18, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #153 of 1,871
I recently bought a pair of U12T and that's what I noticed with silver in cables: the Penon Leo Plus is not a good match with them. It thins out the sound and... it's hard for me to explain... but it kinda makes the instruments sound from far away, like too far if that makes any sense. I like my soundstage huge, but not when it sounds as if the musicians are in two different arenas :sweat_smile: I didn't have that issue with the Hyla TE-5B,

So, I hooked the U12T with my good ol' 175 and it sounded better to my ears. And now, that's where I invoke @Dsnuts! What cable do you think would match best with a more reference tuning like the U12T's? For now the Penon OS849 seems like a good option... how does it compare to the 175?

So cable matching to an earphone is a kind of chemistry experiment. You get a highly resolving earphone and throw on a highly resolving cable.. This is like adding two of the same exact properties together and often times fizzles each other out. Sometimes too much of a good thing is not good at all.

I actually like pairing highly resolving earphones with some added body and smoothness for example my Zeus is paired up with the ISN CU4. Anything silver in the mix and it makes the already analytical Zeus almost unbearable.

OS849 is a solid cable as it is mostly copper at its core 68% I believe. The silver aspect of that cable helps retain details and extension of earphones while widening the stage. The thickness of the cables gives an added thickness and body to the sonics. I like pairing up SPC and silver cables to warm full bodied sounding earphones. More detailed and analytical earphones with copper varieties.

Have you tried a good copper cable on the U12T? A good copper cable adds body, smoothness and often times cleans up the treble end if that is what your looking for.

The OS849 despite its price is an excellent SPC cable and might be a better match than higher end cables. I did throw them on my IT04 with great results. Might be what your looking for. It will add some fullness to the sonics and keep whatever treble properties to be clean without exaggeration. I also noticed excellent bass properties using the OS849 as well. Stage extension while adding some girth to the sonics.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #154 of 1,871
So cable matching to an earphone is a kind of chemistry experiment. You get a highly resolving earphone and throw on a highly resolving cable.. This is like adding two of the same exact properties together and often times fizzles each other out. Sometimes too much of a good thing is not good at all.

I actually like pairing highly resolving earphones with some added body and smoothness for example my Zeus is paired up with the ISN CU4. Anything silver in the mix and it makes the already analytical Zeus almost unbearable.

OS849 is a solid cable as it is mostly copper at its core 68% I believe. The silver aspect of that cable helps retain details and extension of earphones while widening the stage. The thickness of the cables gives an added thickness and body to the sonics. I like pairing up SPC and silver cables to warm full bodied sounding earphones. More detailed and analytical earphones with copper varieties.

Have you tried a good copper cable on the U12T? A good copper cable adds body, smoothness and often times cleans up the treble end if that is what your looking for.

The OS849 despite its price is an excellent SPC cable and might be a better match than higher end cables. I did throw them on my IT04 with great results. Might be what your looking for. It will add some fullness to the sonics and keep whatever treble properties to be clean without exaggeration. I also noticed excellent bass properties using the OS849 as well. Stage extension while adding some girth to the sonics.

Thanks a lot for your answer!

You made me realise that I don't have a pure copper cable :scream: So, I guess the ISN CU4 or any of CEMA's UP-OCC cables (like the "super copper" one) might be good options...

Jun 25, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #157 of 1,871
I just place my order for the Penon OS849 in 2 pin 4.4mm to pair with my Noble K10U, and I am freaking pumped! :ksc75smile: I have read that this cable pairs incredibly well with the K10U, and I can't wait to find out for myself. I want to thank @Dsnuts, for all the info you have provided in this thread. Keep up the great work man!

I will report back, after I get it and have had some listening time.

Happy Listening and cable rolling!

Jun 25, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #158 of 1,871
Look forward to see how that pairs with your K10. Let us know how it is once you get it.

Speaking of the OS849. Got another variant yesterday. Love the OS849 by the way. It has to be one of the absolute best SPC cables in existance. Got the 2 pin version of them and this one here.

1593094913095.png

This will be my next cable review after getting the ISN GC4 done. This one is the GC849. Made similarly to the OS849. It has a gold plated copper and a silver plated copper cable mixed into a gold and silver hybrid type of cable. Will have some initial thoughts on this one later.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #159 of 1,871
Look forward to see how that pairs with your K10. Let us know how it is once you get it.

Speaking of the OS849. Got another variant yesterday. Love the OS849 by the way. It has to be one of the absolute best SPC cables in existance. Got the 2 pin version of them and this one here.

1593094913095.png

This will be my next cable review after getting the ISN GC4 done. This one is the GC849. Made similarly to the OS849. It has a gold plated copper and a silver plated copper cable mixed into a gold and silver hybrid type of cable. Will have some initial thoughts on this one later.
Interesting cable! I look forward to reading your impressions.

Jun 25, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #160 of 1,871
Question for owners of Penon OS849 - Does the current model come with the chin slider that is in the pic on the website? I have seen pictures with a different chin slider, like the one on the GC848. I would really prefer the one they are using in the picture on their website.

Jun 25, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #162 of 1,871
Penon upgraded the original OS849 with these.

This is what you get. I like the way the new connectors plugs and Y slitter chinslider better on the new version.

My new 2 pin I got yesterday looks just like this pic.
Awesome!!! That is exactly what I want. I don't care for the older big and heavy round/flat metal chin sliders at all. The new look is perfection, and I am even more excited now knowing I am going to get exactly what is in the pic. Thanks again man!

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #163 of 1,871
There is someone that has Satin Audio cables and others like Penon or ISN on the same price range? This just out of curiosity, to see how they compare to eachothers
Then I'm looking for something on the price range of 100/140 dollars that enhances all the characteristics of the iems/earbuds more than one aspect more than another, like something "neutral", is there anything like that?
Hey there! I own 3 Satin Audio cables, the Athena 8 wire (silver and palladium plated silver), and 2 Hyperion 8 wire (SPC). I just placed an order for the Penon OS849, so I will be able to compare the two. The OS849 and Hyperion are both 8 wire SPC, and priced about the same, so it should be a good comparison. I will say that Satin Audio has some killer wire and cost to performance ratio, so the Penon OS849 has some tough competition. I'll post my findings once I have had some quality time comparing them.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 4:28 AM Post #164 of 1,871
Hey there! I own 3 Satin Audio cables, the Athena 8 wire (silver and palladium plated silver), and 2 Hyperion 8 wire (SPC). I just placed an order for the Penon OS849, so I will be able to compare the two. The OS849 and Hyperion are both 8 wire SPC, and priced about the same, so it should be a good comparison. I will say that Satin Audio has some killer wire and cost to performance ratio, so the Penon OS849 has some tough competition. I'll post my findings once I have had some quality time comparing them.

Oh thanks :) I'm very curious about that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back