Mid priced IEM cables thread.
Jun 12, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #136 of 1,873
So this is my newest cable review. My take on one of the best SPC cables around. Penon OS849 cables. Thicker 8 cored cable. Matches extremely well with neutrally tuned earphones that need some boost in the mid bands. Amazing cable really. I can't think of a better SPC cable that I have had actually. Anyway enjoy the read.
DSC07210.JPG https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/penon-os849-premium-iem-cables.24408/reviews
I would love to try this cable with my K10U, but need it in 4.4mm. Do you know if Penon can put a 4.4mm connector on it? I don't see the option in the drop down menu, but was curious if any one has asked for it. I don't do adapters, or I would buy the 2.5mm. Thanks for your time!

Jun 12, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #137 of 1,873
Contact Penon tell them you are a part of headfi and mention my name. They would have to put one on one of their cables might take a bit longer. They might charge you a bit extra to throw that on there but I can't see why not. That should be an option anyways.

Can't hurt to ask. If they can do it I bet you they will. That OS849 cable is a bang for buck cable if there ever was one. Definitely worth a try.

Jun 12, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #138 of 1,873
Jun 13, 2020 at 7:07 AM Post #139 of 1,873
Contact Penon tell them you are a part of headfi and mention my name. They would have to put one on one of their cables might take a bit longer. They might charge you a bit extra to throw that on there but I can't see why not. That should be an option anyways.

Can't hurt to ask. If they can do it I bet you they will. That OS849 cable is a bang for buck cable if there ever was one. Definitely worth a try.
Thanks! I will get in touch with them.

Jun 13, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #140 of 1,873
Finally LEO + reached me
Before that, I used 10 euro cables to burn the amplifier
Here is an effective method to change the opinion of unbelievers in cables, in a blind test where only cables are changed, all unbelievers will be convinced that they listened to a far more expensive system. Yes, for me cables are equal to any other component in the system.
LEO + transmits everything from the source, clean, precise micro details, lots of air between the instruments, a large stage. I'm not used to sound descriptions, but in my humble opinion, these cables deserve to be connected to top high-fidelity music transmission systems.

Jun 13, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #142 of 1,873
Thanks! I will get in touch with them.

No need to. They read your issue and updated the listing with a 4.4mm balanced option. Should have been an option in the first place.

Finally LEO + reached me
Before that, I used 10 euro cables to burn the amplifier
Here is an effective method to change the opinion of unbelievers in cables, in a blind test where only cables are changed, all unbelievers will be convinced that they listened to a far more expensive system. Yes, for me cables are equal to any other component in the system.
LEO + transmits everything from the source, clean, precise micro details, lots of air between the instruments, a large stage. I'm not used to sound descriptions, but in my humble opinion, these cables deserve to be connected to top high-fidelity music transmission systems.

Glad you got your cable. Leo + is very convincing of what it does. It has the most effect on any earphone I attach it to. Still my favorite. Love that it doesnt lean out the bass end like most pure silver cables do. Your description is spot on and I agree 100%.

Jun 13, 2020 at 8:51 AM Post #143 of 1,873
No need to. They read your issue and updated the listing with a 4.4mm balanced option. Should have been an option in the first place.

Glad you got your cable. Leo + is very convincing of what it does. It has the most effect on any earphone I attach it to. Still my favorite. Love that it doesnt lean out the bass end like most pure silver cables do. Your description is spot on and I agree 100%.
Wow! That is awesome! I will be placing my order today.

Jun 18, 2020 at 4:16 AM Post #144 of 1,873
There is someone that has Satin Audio cables and others like Penon or ISN on the same price range? This just out of curiosity, to see how they compare to eachothers
Then I'm looking for something on the price range of 100/140 dollars that enhances all the characteristics of the iems/earbuds more than one aspect more than another, like something "neutral", is there anything like that?

Jun 18, 2020 at 6:25 AM Post #145 of 1,873
I recently got the 175 cable and am loving it. I really appreciate the added brightness/detail from the silver part it gives to my 64audio a12t, but on the other hand, I feel like the highs are a tiny bit too crispy as a result. Have you dudes observed any changes after using the cable for longer time? Does it tame out a little, or something else?

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #146 of 1,873
There is someone that has Satin Audio cables and others like Penon or ISN on the same price range? This just out of curiosity, to see how they compare to eachothers
Then I'm looking for something on the price range of 100/140 dollars that enhances all the characteristics of the iems/earbuds more than one aspect more than another, like something "neutral", is there anything like that?
Dont know about satin audio cables. If you want something that is well balanced sound characteristics. Try the ISN SC4. If you want more mids and bass try an ISN CU4. More body to your sound with more stage and detail Penon OS849

I recently got the 175 cable and am loving it. I really appreciate the added brightness/detail from the silver part it gives to my 64audio a12t, but on the other hand, I feel like the highs are a tiny bit too crispy as a result. Have you dudes observed any changes after using the cable for longer time? Does it tame out a little, or something else?

Silver aspect of the 175 will do that. If you dont want more details in the highs of your earphone. Your better off trying out a good SPC or copper based cable.

Jun 18, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #147 of 1,873
Dont know about satin audio cables. If you want something that is well balanced sound characteristics. Try the ISN SC4. If you want more mids and bass try an ISN CU4. More body to your sound with more stage and detail Penon OS849

Silver aspect of the 175 will do that. If you dont want more details in the highs of your earphone. Your better off trying out a good SPC or copper based cable.

I recently bought a pair of U12T and that's what I noticed with silver in cables: the Penon Leo Plus is not a good match with them. It thins out the sound and... it's hard for me to explain... but it kinda makes the instruments sound from far away, like too far if that makes any sense. I like my soundstage huge, but not when it sounds as if the musicians are in two different arenas :sweat_smile: I didn't have that issue with the Hyla TE-5B,

So, I hooked the U12T with my good ol' 175 and it sounded better to my ears. And now, that's where I invoke @Dsnuts! What cable do you think would match best with a more reference tuning like the U12T's? For now the Penon OS849 seems like a good option... how does it compare to the 175?

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #148 of 1,873
I recently bought a pair of U12T and that's what I noticed: the Penon Leo Plus is not a good match with them. It thins out the sound and... it's hard for me to explain... but it kinda makes the instruments sound from far away, like too far if that makes any sense. I like my soundstage huge, but not when it sounds as if the musicians in two different arenas :sweat_smile:

So, I hooked the U12T with my good ol' 175 and it sounded better to my ears. And now, that's where I invoke @Dsnuts! What cable do you think would match best with a more reference tuning like the U12T's? For now the Penon OS849 seems like a good option... how does it compare to the 175?

One thing I and another user on the main 64audio thread noticed is that the degree to which the Apex is inserted affects the sound stage. More inserted = closer sound stage and more bass.

Jun 18, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #149 of 1,873
One thing I and another user on the main 64audio thread noticed is that the degree to which the Apex is inserted affects the sound stage. More inserted = closer sound stage and more bass.

That's true! I insert mine pretty deep because it makes the treble sound better in my ears.

Jun 18, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #150 of 1,873
That's true! I insert mine pretty deep because it makes the treble sound better in my ears.

Cool that you've also noticed! What kind of source are you using btw? I've noticed sources of varying output impedance can affect the details, silence the empty space between them, and make the bass even more controlled. Same thing happened when I changed to the 175 from stock, cause it also "lowers the source impedance"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back