Mid priced IEM cables thread.
Apr 12, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #811 of 1,849
My advice is: if your source/dap has a balanced output...take advantage of that and get yourself some balanced cables. In my journey in audio, I've always found that balanced sounds better (provided that it's been properly designed on the source). More power, better separation, increased detail but with more treble smoothness; and an increase in soundstage. Best thing about going balanced is: you can easily get a balanced-to- unbalanced adapter to use the balanced cable you bought to use with an unbalanced source (like a smartphone, for example). You can't go from unbalanced to balanced, unfortunately.
Gotta agree. On the M3X, with balanced out you get more than double the power, better separation, wider stage, both DACs and L R amplification. It'll take much much closer to choir of angels!

Apr 24, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #812 of 1,849
DSC07987.JPG
It has been a while since I updated this thread with something completely new. These are appropriately called the Mix by Penon. 2 thicker cores of crystal copper and 2 cores of pure silver.. Surprisingly this is Penons first actual hybrid cable. They have plenty that are exotic in material and coatings and such but the first for them for using half silver and half copper.

So what separates this from something like CEMAs 175 cable which is an 8 core of half silver half UPOCC cable? If you look carefully at this cable even though there are more strands of silver material for the silver portion it looks like the copper portion is actually thicker in material. As per sound these exhibit the best of both silver and copper but what is interesting is that these fix the one issue I had with the CEMA 175 cable and that while both exhibit similar sonic traits this particular cable adds a fullness and warmth the 175 lacks. In fact going back n forth from both these cables the the 175 cable emits more silver traits while the Mix here emits more copper traits.. In other words these sound like a more musical adaptation of the tried and true 175 cable. Exhibiting more fuller music notes with all the advantages of what silver does for your imaging and sound separation. So in theory one would assume similar materials will exhibit similar effects. But that is not really the case here. I will have much more to say about these on my review but these Mix cables are actually an advancement in the half and half hybrid cables. The accessories on the cables is a new design by Penon and it looks and feels very premium. Be on the look out for my full review soon.

Then there is this.
DSC07988.JPG

ISN Solar. I will be posting a review about this one soon as well. This cable is ISNs flagship called the Solar. What is interesting about this one is the finishing process for the cable itself. These are soaked in mineral oil for 20 days and set to dry in a certain temperature for 10 more days. What that supposedly does is creates an anti oxidation process and also eliminates static electricity. What is really intriguing however is the materials being used for this particular cable. Let me put it this way. These cost $400 for a reason.

The central cores of this cable is comprised of 2 silver cables, one is plated with gold the other plated with palladium. Then it is wrapped with a crystal copper mixed braided material. Crystal copper plated in gold and an SPC or silver pated for the other half. If you got all that. That is 4 different cable materials which could easily be made into a separate cable for each core and layer of this cable.. But what happens when you mix all of them materials and then immerse them in oil? You get this SOLAR.

As per sound enhancement. Due to the gold plating and copper your gonna hear a richer fuller tone in dynamics to your host IEM, the silver and palladium allows for better precision, imaging and a natural expansion of stage. These have a unique soft wet look to them due to the oil that is on the surface of the cable material covered in PVC material. It is a very unique and premium looking cable and is every bit the flagship cable it is touted to be. I have been testing this cable on some of my IEMS and these matches up extremely well with all BA iems like my TSMR-10. Zeus. These clearly adds some dynamism and richness in flavoring your BA iems. I will have much more to say on my review I will post soon be on the look out for it.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #814 of 1,849
I'd love a Totem cable for my A8000. But any price tag above 350$ is off limits, even factoring in the price / performance ratio compared to sky high EA or PW prices.

Another qualm is the 2.5 termination / intermediary. I'd probably be more interested in a straight 4.4 without pigtails, given my needs, at a lower price.

Hence the Tianwaitian for now. I'm also giving CEMA Pipa a shot, should reach me in the next days.

Maybe I'll end up selling most of my cables to fund the One.:smile:

Let folks know how that worked out for you on the cable threads. I will be getting ISNs Solar cable soon for review will report how that is once I get it on the midfi cable thread.

Compared four cables yesterday night, on my Final A8000. Stock 3.5mm vs CEMA Tianwaitian vs Fengru Hakugei White Dragon vs CEMA Pipa.

I used my main dac, a powerful Audio-GD dual WM8741, hooked to iFi's Pro iCan. One of the 1/4in output had a 1/8 adapter for the stock cable, the second identical output a 4.4mm adapter for the other three cables. I just had to switch the inear connectors to compare two at a time.

Long story short, Pipa was the last to be tested and cleared the table. It's a perfect match to the A8000 for my ears. Tianwaitian was the previous pair up, a very nice combo but a bit too soft on the lower treble, I now see.

Pipa gives a sense of focus, fidelity and tremendous energy to the already very competent A8000. I've been binge listening great music all afternoon, the feeling of perfect synergy has not wavered in the slightest.

Here's one the highlights of the day :

R-5332481-1390760775-4334.jpeg.jpg

As always with Grisman, production quality is top notch. Listening to this one is a delight of tone and vibrancy. Such a true to life first row experience of music.

Other blasts were :

Puzzle.jpg

and

a2656286645_10.jpg

Magnificent renderings.

In a more synth-pop-with-a-twist mood, this one was a treat :

R-17562928-1614161685-3026.jpeg.jpg

I've been to three of their shows in Paris, love all their albums. Delicious on the A8000 / Pipa pairing.

The moniker Pipa refers to a Chinese string instrument, which I heard played by Wu Man on this album many years ago :

nhaug8ry.j31

Very thoughtful of CEMA to have chosen such a name.

Today's listening was experienced with my DX300, streaming Qobuz, mid gain with a 50 to 60 volume, D1 filter. Beautifully intense, without any harshness. Tuned to perfection.

This is the most impressive inear / cable pairing I've experienced, period. The previous one was VE8 with Dunu Hulk, which - again to my ears - was a superior match compared to way more expensive offerings.

Bravo CEMA, I'm very grateful.

A8000_CEMA-Pipa.jpg

And the Tianwaitian will happily return to the Luna ^^

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2021 at 3:36 AM Post #815 of 1,849
Compared four cables yesterday night, on my Final A8000. Stock 3.5mm vs CEMA Tianwaitian vs Fengru Hakugei White Dragon vs CEMA Pipa.

I used my main dac, a powerful Audio-GD dual WM8741, hooked to iFi's Pro iCan. One of the 1/4in output had a 1/8 adapter for the stock cable, the second identical output a 4.4mm adapter for the other three cables. I just had to switch the inear connectors to compare two at a time.

Long story short, Pipa was the last to be tested and cleared the table. It's a perfect match to the A8000 for my ears. Tianwaitian was the previous pair up, a very nice combo but a bit too soft on the lower treble, I now see.

Pipa gives a sense of focus, fidelity and tremendous energy to the already very competent A8000. I've been binge listening great music all afternoon, the feeling of perfect synergy has not wavered in the slightest.

Here's one the highlights of the day :

R-5332481-1390760775-4334.jpeg.jpg

As always with Grisman, production quality is top notch. Listening to this one is a delight of tone and vibrancy. Such a true to life first row experience of music.

Other blasts were :

Puzzle.jpg

and

a2656286645_10.jpg

Magnificent renderings.

In a more synth-pop-with-a-twist mood, this one was a treat :

R-17562928-1614161685-3026.jpeg.jpg

I've been to three of their shows in Paris, love all their albums. Delicious on the A8000 / Pipa pairing.

The moniker Pipa refers to a Chinese string instrument, which I heard played by Wu Man on this album many years ago :

nhaug8ry.j31

Very thoughtful of CEMA to have chosen such a name.

Today's listening was experienced with my DX300, streaming Qobuz, mid gain with a 50 to 60 volume, D1 filter. Beautifully intense, without any harshness. Tuned to perfection.

This is the most impressive inear / cable pairing I've experienced, period. The previous one was VE8 with Dunu Hulk, which - again to my ears - was a superior match compared to way more expensive offerings.

Bravo CEMA, I'm very grateful.

A8000_CEMA-Pipa.jpg

And the Tianwaitian will happily return to the Luna ^^

Thank you for your feedback, I've Pipa on my basket since March :)
I'd pull the trigger asap

Apr 26, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #816 of 1,849
Well, let's hope it'll synergize well with your inears. IT07 I guess ?

Apr 30, 2021 at 5:02 AM Post #818 of 1,849
Finally HanSound Nyx arrived!!
Plugged right now to Softears RSV->M8

A0504EDB-2424-4AF8-A25B-5F5BBF960F83.jpeg
E89A355D-AB66-4DE1-B322-79D8E632CA2E.jpeg
2DA68CB1-CB18-49EB-8E4F-113E3F0E1AD7.jpeg

Apr 30, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #819 of 1,849
1619807752944.png

So I tested the Penon Mix on 7 different earphones. This cable is simply excellent value. No other way to put it. I am going to post my review of these here this weekend but what this cable does for all earphones tested is most definitely a surprise. I also own the CEMA 175 hybrid cable that many of you guys own. That cable is excellent for what it does but this one is different and I find it even more versatile. Both these cables use half copper and half silver but this Mix cable here brings more the copper aspects vs the 175 utilizing and leaning more toward the silver aspect of the cable tuning.

Long story short. I am seeing a consistent increase of stage in all directions. Better bass impact and presence. Better note weight and presence for mids with an increase of imaging. Treble sounds cleaner and clearer using this cable as well. The cable properties is very well balanced and is extremely versatile.. To put it simple this cable is clearly worth its cost to own. No question a solid cable and an easy upgrade for just about any earphone.. Look for my full review on them by this weekend. Another solid contender in the price range.

May 1, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #820 of 1,849
DSC08027.JPG

Just posted my review. https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/penon-mix.25122/reviews#review-25789

Excellent cables. I did a head to head against several of the more popular mid level cables 175 and even Penons own OS849 cables. The Mix here is showing me that it is more versatile vs the other two. Penon is smart they priced these slightly above their OS849 for a reason. These gives greater details due to the pure silver in the mix. Read the review for complete analysis of the cables.

May 1, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #821 of 1,849
DSC08027.JPG

Just posted my review. https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/penon-mix.25122/reviews#review-25789

Excellent cables. I did a head to head against several of the more popular mid level cables 175 and even Penons own OS849 cables. The Mix here is showing me that it is more versatile vs the other two. Penon is smart they priced these slightly above their OS849 for a reason. These gives greater details due to the pure silver in the mix. Read the review for complete analysis of the cables.
Thx...i will go read this!🙏🏽

May 4, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #822 of 1,849
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone here has tried the latest flaghsip from CEMA, the gyrfalcon?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...7561#338_668#3164#9976#405_668#3468#15608#200

Currently all my cables are the 175 and am hoping to try out either the tianwaitian or the gyrfalcon with the intention of getting a more resolving and brighter set of cables without affecting the overall stage and tonality.

I am very happy with 175 but it seems that stage and treble details seem to dim down a little.

Thanks guys

May 16, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #823 of 1,849
Never tried the reference 8 so I have no idea if the Penon OSG would be an upgrade on that or not but that is what I am using on the Solaris. Love this cable with my Solaris. I have tried easily over 20 different cables on it and none has been like the OSG

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/penon-osg-graphene-infused-spc-iem-cables.24554/reviews
Thank you Dsnuts!

This Penon OSG has really improved the sound of my Solaris OG, above all resolution and soundstage.

It seems that I have become a cable believer 😎

0E7F86DE-D6F4-4C9E-9E0C-81425F3F0796.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back