Mid Priced Full Cans or Save Up for the "Higher Ups"???
Jan 1, 2008 at 4:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

dap_pad

500+ Head-Fier
Ok, I've kinda grown tired with my PK1 setup...
frown.gif
so I once again need an upgrade. I like the PK1 sound signature so something that improves from it would be great. I looking at least the same size of soundstage, detail resolution, but with more bass (I only get appropriate bass from the PK1s when I push them in more) and clarity. Kinda like the Atrio M5s + the Yuin PK1s with more clarity and soundstage.

I'm also using them with a Mini^3 so they need to be able to be powered from it. My budget is around $100-$200

I thought of these so far:

AKG K601
Beyerdynamic DT770
Sennheiser HD595

Which one is right for me?

OR!!! Should I save up for the "higher-ups" like the AKG K701, Sennheiser HD650 or the Beyerdynamic DT880?

Anything else you guys recommend or should I just save up all my money for a Pico LOL
wink.gif

Jan 1, 2008 at 4:41 AM Post #2 of 51
I don't think you should wait. For one thing, the higher-up headphones are a lot more expensive, so you'd have to wait a long time to justify any wait. We both know that you won't wait long
wink.gif

Either get the midrange headphones now, or get the high-end headphones now.

Jan 1, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #3 of 51
LOL then which one do you recommend? The DT770 seems to be gaining alot of popularity lately, but I'm a bit worried about the clarity and treble part of it. The bass seems like exactly what I need though...

I'm also worried that the already relatively bassy Mini^3 will just add unneeded bass to the DT770 making it muddy and over bloated.

Jan 1, 2008 at 5:18 AM Post #4 of 51
If you're a basshead, there's no question about going for the DT770. Otherwise... Read reviews. I really don't know too much about the AKGs, but recent talk has been saying that the K601s can sound nearly exactly like the K701 just buy using the K701 earpads.

Jan 1, 2008 at 5:18 AM Post #5 of 51
If you want a good closed headphone with bass, try the EA-RP21's, or for a open headphone, the Goldring DR150's.

I've owned both, and like both. The Goldring's are better than the RP21's, but the RP21's can be had for like $60 used.

-Nick

Jan 1, 2008 at 7:42 AM Post #6 of 51
dap_pad: What gain is your Mini³ set to? Are you planning for a home, portable, or bi-functional based rig. What's your price limit?

These factors will assist us in recommending you a can per your preferences. Lemme tell ya right now, however, the K701 and DT880 won't do it for ya if you're looking for large quantities of bass... From what I currently know a modded HD580 (HD650 cable with HD600 grills) sounds like a good match for you.
wink.gif

Jan 1, 2008 at 8:23 AM Post #7 of 51
PK1 clarity, speed, detail resolution and overall spectral balance with a hint more bass, powered by an AD8397 mini^3... screams for an early model K701. You can get them used for around $225. IMHO the older 701s sound warmer and more enjoyble... be it burn in or something else entirely.

Jan 1, 2008 at 2:11 PM Post #8 of 51
HD650 would be a good pick if you like your low end.

In general, I say go for high end - life's too short!
wink.gif

Jan 1, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #9 of 51
Love PK-1? try ATH ESW9
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 1, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #12 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PK1 clarity, speed, detail resolution and overall spectral balance with a hint more bass, powered by an AD8397 mini^3... screams for an early model K701. You can get them used for around $225. IMHO the older 701s sound warmer and more enjoyble... be it burn in or something else entirely.

So I guess the general consensus is that I save up for the "big boys" LOL how do I tell if it's an older model K701 though?

I'm pretty interested in the HD650s too, they seems to go pretty cheap here for around $250, while the K701 go for around $210? I guess I'll have to start saving up...
frown.gif
What's the major difference between the DT880 and the DT770?

I keep hearing about this "veil" for the HD650 too, what is it? Can someone tell me about the characteristic of the K701, HD650 and the DT880? And I keep hearing about the D2000... how much do they cost?

But overall I just want PK1s with more clarity, more "noticable" bass and a bigger soundstage would be a plus
smily_headphones1.gif

My Mini^3 has a gain of 2 btw will it be enough to power the headphones?

Sorry I have so many questions, but this is my first "major" purchase
biggrin.gif

Jan 1, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #13 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by dap_pad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I guess the general consensus is that I save up for the "big boys" LOL how do I tell if it's an older model K701 though?

And I keep hearing about the D2000... how much do they cost?

All K701's have a serial number. If you want to look for a older pair, you need one with a lower serial number.

Here's the D2000's:

AudioCubes.com - Denon AH-D2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphones -

Jan 1, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #14 of 51
If you ask me, the Mini³ with a gain of 2 simply isn't nearly competent enough to drive some of the headphones others are suggesting (K701 and HD6x0 especially).

I've never heard any Yuin earbud so I have no basis for suggestion, but if I were you I'd probably opt for a Sony MDR-SA3000, Sennheiser HD595 or Denon AH-D1000.

Good luck!

Jan 1, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #15 of 51
Well, this is sort of a toss up. You could go either way.

1) Upgrading in steps will help train your ears and brain. You will discover what you should be listening for and why you prefer one can over another. Of course this route winds up costing you more money in the long run, as you will take a small to moderate loss on your headphones, depending on the demand of the item.

2) Saving up for the high-end can now will save you lots of money in the long run. You will end up with a better headphone a lot quicker, but you may not know WHY it's better.

I personally am in favor of option #1 if you have the patience and budget to permit it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back