Mid-low range DJ cans
Nov 30, 2010 at 1:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

HecticVector

New Head-Fier
Hi all, I'm looking for some advice on how to fix my old cans or some new replacements.

I had just bought some AKG K81's. They're stylish and tight fitting, pretty light with good sound (better than my ear buds anyway) and isolation, but they broke. The jack was just too weak for my reckless drunken newby DJ skills. I had since replaced the jack a few times but the cables are soooo thin its very hard to make it last, plus they've got some fiberglass strands with the copper to make soldering tiny things that much more annoying. I've just about stripped all the way to the drivers at this point, and they still aren't reliably working. My friends are trying to convince me to replace them, but I hate letting things die before its absolutely necessary. Does anyone know if they can be easily opened and redone at the root?

So there's what happened. I'm looking for new headphones ~$100, but I tend to overspend. I'd like something very light, isolating, tight gripping, level response and good soundstage. Mainly I need them to stay on my head and not to break, but sounding good is very important, particularly with well defined bass. It's also pretty important that there's an easy way to listen on just one side, and that the cable only comes out of one side (it just bothers me when its out of both). I will be using them as all around headphones, not just while DJing. Also I have done a few small clubs and hope to move to larger ones so keep that in mind. Also a neat feature would be a detachable cable, or at least a coiled one. I don't care at all about looks if those requirements are met. If anyone has any recommendations please let me know, otherwise heres some I've found so far:

Lower Range:
PortaPro: Good temp replacements possibly, until I get enough free time to actually fix my 'phones right. Does anyone know how well these stay on your head during say, dancing? Also is the isolation good enough to mix live with?

Mid Range:
V6: A friend of mine has a pair of these, I like them quite a lot but they seem loose, like the wouldn't stay on my head so well. Seems to be the next price level up from PortaPro's with an equally large fan base.

ATH-M50: Again they seem heavy, do they get uncomfortable after a while? Not really sure the virtues or this set over the others in the range, but they did get good reviews.

K-240: Another friend has these, but I can't recall how they fit at all. Any good for DJing? Detachable cable, seems like a good idea.

RP-DH1200: More good reviews, any insight in comparing them? Again a detachable cable makes me feel a little safer in avoiding the K81 problem.

Mid-High Range:
Ultrasone DJ1: Looks fantastic, all foldy and small with detachable cable. Is sound/fit considerably better than any of the mid range models?

K-181: Seems like they fixed all my gripes with the 81's, but I'm hesitant

Senn HD25-1: Lots of good reviews, maybe on the over hyped side. Best reviews I've seen for a stay on fit.

Honestly I'm leaning towards the PortaPro/V6 if someone tells me they work well for DJing. Or the HD25-1 if a few people explain why it's worth ~3x more. I've got a gig coming up soon that I will probably borrow my friends V6's for, so I'll see how that goes myself soon enough.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Dec 2, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the suggestions, its looking like the TMA-1 is gonna be my next buy. However I did open up my K81's and replace the cable with one from some cheap sony earbuds. As a heads up for anyone else it was very easy to repair with a new cable, but the old cable was practically impossible for me to put a new jack on.

Also, my friend is talking about buying the Skull Candy mix masters, I advised him against it but does anyone have specific points about it? He would be getting them 50% off from manufacturer, so it seems like an OK deal but still...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back