Mid Fi - General chat for all discussions and general chat a Thread for all.
Apr 30, 2024 at 10:32 AM Post #316 of 326
Will do the Enigma is getting more ear time at the moment while it burns in. Does the copper cable warm up the signature? I'm using a copper silver alloy cable cos it looked pretty lol 😆
Still testing but in lack of time for more cable rolling experiments atm. To date I liked the Code 24 best with the 3T - very refined and balanced imo - but the 24 has meanwhile been switched to my Enigma (which also gets almost 75% of my available playtime :wink:...

So I took the 24c for the 3T instead. Good for now, but I will try some other cables somewhen and report back my findings... Following the 24 I think the 24c is a bit behind in upper mids/treble refinement. So maybe another SPC or something like the TRI Wolfram or a (darker sounding) silver-/palladium cable might be an even better match...

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 2:15 PM Post #317 of 326
What is a good mid-fi IEM (for convenience, lets say below 400 USD) that you consider to have a relaxed presentation?
Relaxed presentation = no forward upper-mids or treble. (My ears are sensitive to upper mid-range forwardness like the Variations or EE Odin. Treble should not be peaky as it needs to work with a variety of genres and production qualities). I need the IEMs for the office, where I cannot install an EQ on the system.

I thought going for the Moondrop x Crinacle Dusk2, since their DSP cable can be used to EQ and they sound quite good for the price. But it might be better to use an IEM that is relaxed out of the box.
In that price range and with that tonal profile, I really like my Orchestra Lite (~$250). It's a bit forward at around 1.5kHz, but then stays relaxed throughout the upper mids and treble. For me, the combo of a slightly forward mid-midrange plus a recessed/relaxed upper mid and treble makes for a warm, cozy listen IMO. I spent a stupidly long time trying out and researching IEMs with similar profiles before deciding on the Orchestra Lite. It's a cheaper rendition of something like the OG Dunu SA6.

I'm also curious to try the Hinsenior Mega5P Ultra which has a tonal profile like what you're looking for (and costs ~$240), but haven't heard it myself.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #318 of 326
Penon Fan 2 perhaps ?

I hated them I believe for the exact reasons you are seeking as best I understand, I don’t bother with graphs.

To my ear they lacked energy in the upper ranges of female vocals which made them sound lacking life in that region but that might be what you are after. Many people like them a lot. What to me is a flaw might be great for you.

Anyone else have an opinion on the Fan 2 for non forward upper mids and relaxed treble ?

You're probably right, but I still love their sound.
They don't excel in either bass or treble, but I like their overall sound performance

May 1, 2024 at 6:37 AM Post #320 of 326
You are certainly in the majority :relaxed:
The Fan 2 is s perfect example of a loss leader product. Cheap entry great quality build and sound signature that offends very few. I got them and went wow these are great I wonder what their expensive stuff sounds like. Only to be disappointed by everything. Not because they sound bad just because the difference between the Fan 2 was small compared to the price hike you have to pay to move up.

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 7:13 AM Post #321 of 326
The Fan 2 is s perfect example of a loss leader product. Cheap entry great quality build and sound signature that offends very few. I got them and went wow these are great I wonder what their expensive stuff sounds like. Only to be disappointed everything. Not because they sound bad just because the difference between the Fan 2 was small compared to the price hike you have to pay to move up.

Interesting.

I would have been keen to try the more high end Penon products if it wasn’t for the advertorial that the Penon thread is ! I will direct my funds elsewhere ta very much.

May 1, 2024 at 7:22 AM Post #322 of 326
Interesting.

I would have been keen to try the more high end Penon products if it wasn’t for the advertorial that the Penon thread is ! I will direct my funds elsewhere ta very much.
Mine is a single opinion many others love the Penon offerings I got the 10th AE and was underwhelmed but many love that iem I just feel there's many better options for the $500 price.
It boils down to taste the Fan 2 was under $150 in sales period. For that price it's a steal my expectations were elevated by the Fan 2 the 10th AE didn't live up to the expectations.

May 1, 2024 at 7:50 AM Post #323 of 326
It boils down to taste the Fan 2 was under $150 in sales period. For that price it's a steal my expectations were elevated by the Fan 2 the 10th AE didn't live up to the expectations.

In fact, I got it for about that price with the Penon mailing list.
And it seems like a steal to me too at that price.

Regarding the Penon sound, I cannot give judgments on their TOTL (having never tried them, I only have Serial, Quattro, Turbo and Fan2), but I think that their tuning is not for everyone or for all musical genres.
You have to like it.

However, I would like to say that they are tunings with a strong personality, which you can love or hate, but which do not leave you indifferent.

May 1, 2024 at 7:52 AM Post #324 of 326
In fact, I got it for about that price with the Penon mailing list.
And it seems like a steal to me too at that price.

Regarding the Penon sound, I cannot give judgments on their TOTL (having never tried them, I only have Serial, Quattro, Turbo and Fan2), but I think that their tuning is not for everyone or for all musical genres.
You have to like it.

However, I would like to say that they are tunings with a strong personality, which you can love or hate, but which do not leave you indifferent.
That's perfectly put 👌 if you don't jive with an iem doesn't mean it's bad just not for you.

May 1, 2024 at 8:22 AM Post #325 of 326
What is a good mid-fi IEM (for convenience, lets say below 400 USD) that you consider to have a relaxed presentation?
Relaxed presentation = no forward upper-mids or treble. (My ears are sensitive to upper mid-range forwardness like the Variations or EE Odin. Treble should not be peaky as it needs to work with a variety of genres and production qualities). I need the IEMs for the office, where I cannot install an EQ on the system.

I thought going for the Moondrop x Crinacle Dusk2, since their DSP cable can be used to EQ and they sound quite good for the price. But it might be better to use an IEM that is relaxed out of the box.
This all lead my mind to one IEM I feel has not gotten the attention it deserves, AüR Audio Aurora. I welcome you to check out the reviews here on Headfi. Smooth treble, lush mids and textured bass.

1000012575.jpg

May 1, 2024 at 8:52 AM Post #326 of 326
Had a bit of playtime today and tried a few cables on my 3T154:

8w ivipQ-99, Xinhs S06 8w silver-palladium, Nicehck Moongod, 8w Ares and Fusion1.

In the end I liked the ivipQ best (despite the somewhat questionable hardware (which is not as on the pictures shown but more the golden blingy type :) )
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EHNCY19

Testtracks used were mainly:

The first track was chosen because it is quite bright and on the verge of sibilant to my ears. I was looking for a cable that helps taming the upper mids / treble on the 3T a little bit. The second track I often use for test-sessions as - besides a lot of things going on in it - it has some nice basslines which show an IEMs subbass capabilities quite well.

Happy Labour Day...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back