microZOTL 3 by Linear Tube Audio. True High End Audio.
Aug 21, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #406 of 1,183
Out of curiosity, can MZ3 owners please tell me which DAC you are using (if you're using one), and describe how happy you are with the synergy?
Mojo Audio EVO Mystique (pro level). Its use indicates my satisfaction with its synergy with MZ3.

Aug 21, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #407 of 1,183
Out of curiosity, can MZ3 owners please tell me which DAC you are using (if you're using one), and describe how happy you are with the synergy?

Thanks.
Pairs very well with Chord TT2.

Aug 21, 2022 at 10:42 PM Post #409 of 1,183
I owned both previously, I’d vote Bifrost if you want growl.

Aug 22, 2022 at 2:52 AM Post #411 of 1,183
Has anyone tried HD800S with MZ3. I live in Singapore and I'm not able to audition MZ3. I would greatly appreciate any info on this pairing.
I can tell you in 3-4 weeks!
I owned both previously, I’d vote Bifrost if you want growl.
Thank you. I bought both and have a tube amp as well. I might play with pairings and see what I want to keep. What DAC are you currently using?

Aug 22, 2022 at 9:41 AM Post #413 of 1,183
I can tell you in 3-4 weeks!

Thank you. I bought both and have a tube amp as well. I might play with pairings and see what I want to keep. What DAC are you currently using?
Chord TT2 + Mscaler. I select for high detail, sound staging and imaging at the DAC level and smooth it out (or not) at the amp level. For that approach, the TT2 works very well.

Aug 22, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #414 of 1,183
Chord TT2 + Mscaler. I select for high detail, sound staging and imaging at the DAC level and smooth it out (or not) at the amp level. For that approach, the TT2 works very well.
Very cool! Looks like I'm at least in the right family of products for the DAC. I see you run some tube amps too - would you say you're smoothing it out or not with the MZ3?

Aug 22, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #415 of 1,183
Very cool! Looks like I'm at least in the right family of products for the DAC. I see you run some tube amps too - would you say you're smoothing it out or not with the MZ3?
Like most things related to MZ3 (which straddles the line of SS speed and tube warmth / holographic stage), the sonic “smoothing” is somewhere in the middle. If you like that balancing act, I’d suggest sticking with very clean, detailed DACs. The Chords (particularly the Qutest) have a reputation for “thinness” (I don’t find that to be the case but some do), but regardless, I do like how traditional OTL and transformer coupled tube amps accentuate the soundstage of the Chords and fill it out in body. The MZ3 does that as well but keeps a lot of speed as well. I was very content with the MZ3 until I heard a 300B amp (soundstage junkie that I am).

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #416 of 1,183
Like most things related to MZ3 (which straddles the line of SS speed and tube warmth / holographic stage), the sonic “smoothing” is somewhere in the middle. If you like that balancing act, I’d suggest sticking with very clean, detailed DACs. The Chords (particularly the a Qutest) have a reputation for “thinness” (I don’t find that to be the case but some do), but regardless, I do like how traditional OTL and transformer coupled tube amps accentuate the soundstage of the Chords and fill it out in body. The MZ3 does that as well but keeps a lot of speed as well. I was very content with the MZ3 until I heard a 300B amp (soundstage junkie that I am).
This straddle is exactly what I'm looking for, so I am glad to hear it.
I'll be running zmf atriums and mz3 for sure, and I'll see if I like the qutest or bifrost more, I think they are going in different directions so I hope the decision is clear to me! Maybe I'll like the chord and the slight warmth of atrium and mz3 will be enough, though I admit the feliks elise warmth is so nice through ZMFs.
Perhaps I'll go for a little more push towards that warmth with the bifrost!
Don't tempt me on a 300B amp...

Thank you for the input

Aug 22, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #417 of 1,183
There is tube rolling within LTA MZ3 that may get you to your 🎼 destination. E.g., for warmth / depth…Raytheon 6SN7 s, for clarity / extension… RFT ECC81 s…

Aug 22, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #418 of 1,183
I have had similar thoughts, so it's reassuring to know that approach works.

Aug 23, 2022 at 6:57 PM Post #420 of 1,183
I have the Z-10i and i use a Schiit Bitfrost 2, satisfied, not in any rush to spend thousands on a DAC. the denafrips aries was good but didn't like my iMac.
What do you think of the bass? I heard mz3 may be lacking in bass. I bought a chord qutest to use if it is not lacking and also bought a bifrost in case it is lacking to hopefully punch it up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back