microZOTL 3 by Linear Tube Audio. True High End Audio.
Sep 5, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #436 of 1,183
I picked up a used MZ3. I'm a sucker for good looking gear. I knew I wanted to try something in the high-end to understand the diminishing return curve. It came with:
  • Psvane 12at7
  • RCA Jan 6sn7gt grey - slightly warm, balanced top to bottom, detailed.
  • Kenrad VT231 - full body bass, rich tone midrange, holographic
I really like the RCA - I may look for another as a backup.

I'm coming from schiit MJ2 and using an abyss 1266. When it comes to tubes, I'm still a novice and the whole of tubes is so confusing with all the variants. I picked up a Sylvania JAN 6sn7gt as they're supposed to more detailed, and more air that I'm hoping will give some contrast to the tubes above.

As for the 12at7, I haven't researched much so still learning @jonathan c you recommended the rft. Is this the right one https://www.thetubestore.com/rft-ecc81-12at7? I'm not sure what I'm looking for yet and how to think about mixing between the two tubes.

So far no regrets in the move. It has enough power for the 1266. It's provide more of the tuby sound I was craving. It is more refined - smoother but more detailed and holographic. I normally listen in the 70-80db range. 80db is loud for me. I also listen to a lot of vocal centric pop and indie which doesn't normally have a wide dynamic range. I don't hear any compression or distortion when I'm in the 80db range.

that said the MJ2 was no slouch. I was very happy with it. And could easily live with it.

I'll post more impressions as my brain burns-in more.

Sep 5, 2022 at 10:25 PM Post #437 of 1,183
I picked up a used MZ3. I'm a sucker for good looking gear. I knew I wanted to try something in the high-end to understand the diminishing return curve. It came with:
  • Psvane 12at7
  • RCA Jan 6sn7gt grey - slightly warm, balanced top to bottom, detailed.
  • Kenrad VT231 - full body bass, rich tone midrange, holographic
I really like the RCA - I may look for another as a backup.

I'm coming from schiit MJ2 and using an abyss 1266. When it comes to tubes, I'm still a novice and the whole of tubes is so confusing with all the variants. I picked up a Sylvania JAN 6sn7gt as they're supposed to more detailed, and more air that I'm hoping will give some contrast to the tubes above.

As for the 12at7, I haven't researched much so still learning @jonathan c you recommended the rft. Is this the right one https://www.thetubestore.com/rft-ecc81-12at7? I'm not sure what I'm looking for yet and how to think about mixing between the two tubes.
For each tube type, use the same. You can use 12AT7s of a different make from the 6SN7s. PS - if you want to save money, use 12SN7s and adjust the jumper switch on the PCB. For the RFTs, getting back to the 12AT7s, …
D356981E-90BC-4A43-AC36-77C8FFFDB356.jpeg

Sep 6, 2022 at 2:52 AM Post #438 of 1,183
Thanks! Yes, will keep the tubes paired.

I looked at 12sn7 as well. They do appear to be cheaper, but not as many on ebay nor a lot of reviews.

He doesn't ship to Hawaii :frowning2:. I msg them if they could. I'll keep my eye out.

I'm not a huge tube roller, but want a few different quality tubes so try out and experiment. So far I do like the psvane 12at7 + RCA 6sn7 a lot! The seller knows a lot about tubes and sound quality.

Sep 7, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #439 of 1,183
Having first read about the MZ3 in a Twittering Machines review over a year ago now, and thinking, dreaming, dithering, questioning and dithering some more I have finally...

LTA MZ3.PNG

This is going to replace my THX AAA 789; I really hope it's everything I imagine it to be! The import tax is going to be painful, but if I don't think about it I won't cry about it.

Now, I just need to buy a DAC. Here we go again! :)

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #440 of 1,183
Having first read about the MZ3 in a Twittering Machines review over a year ago now, and thinking, dreaming, dithering, questioning and dithering some more I have finally...

LTA MZ3.PNG

This is going to replace my THX AAA 789; I really hope it's everything I imagine it to be! The import tax is going to be painful, but if I don't think about it I won't cry about it.

I have a number of very fine amps here. The MZ3 is extremely good. It is open, transparent, great bass, separation and acoustical space retrieval is wonderful.

Sep 7, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #441 of 1,183

LTA MZ3.PNG

• THX AAA 789 —> LTA MZ3 will not be everything that you imagine it to be. It will be so much more! There will be parameters of MZ3 sound that you haven’t conceived in part due to the ‘unidimensionality’ of the 789. 😜

Sep 7, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #442 of 1,183

LTA MZ3.PNG

Fantastic news!! I hope to be in the MZ3 club in the near future, as well.

Sep 7, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #443 of 1,183
• THX AAA 789 —> LTA MZ3 will not be everything that you imagine it to be. It will be so much more! There will be parameters of MZ3 sound that you haven’t conceived in part due to the ‘unidimensionality’ of the 789. 😜

Thanks Jonathan! I am looking forward to the experience for sure :)

Sep 7, 2022 at 10:17 PM Post #445 of 1,183
I recently picked up @ardbeg1975's MZ3 and I'm really loving this thing. I went to can jam Chicago this year and I was in no way looking for a tube amp but I had decided to check out everything that was available and this was actually the first booth I stopped at and I just really enjoyed the sound and in general I really fell in love with the idea of tubes and planars. One of the other booths that got me thinking this way was Wells Audio had a TC, HEK, Dan Clark's booth had a Stealth on Ampsandsound and the Audeze out of the MZ3 and all of them were just really mesmerizing but I ended up going with the MC3 it brought that incredible detail and speed of the planar but just added that touch of tube magic it really sounded nice clean and quiet but brought all of those benefits.

Overall I'm really shocked at what it has done to the sound of the Diana V2 I feel like that is a completely different headphone out of this amp in a way that I wasn't really prepared for. I'm wondering if it was underpowered but I had a TT2 powering it so that should have plenty but whatever it is it sounds amazing out of the MZ3. The main thing is it opens up the soundstage like tube amps do but the imaging of the Diana is pinpoint and the background of the amp is black so that makes sound layer really well and distinct and then it adds that touch of euphonic sound but without really messing with detail retrieval or the bass like some of your tubier tube amps can do so it brings a lot of benefit but doesn't really give up much of the V2's strengths. On a few songs the Diana could lack a bit of timbre compared to some of the ZMF that I'm used to but that bit of tube magic really helps it here and just nudges it enough in the right direction that it sounds amazing.

I was excited to pair it with the Atrium and it sounds great but is just kind of blowing my mind on how much of a difference it is making on the Diana V2 so I've been cycling through a lot of music on those. Overall though just really love the build of the amp it is absolutely quiet and I'm also shocked at how cool it runs. I had it running most of the day yesterday while I was working and listening off and on and it ran cool the entire time. Also I'm really liking the remote and number of volume steps as well as the volume display is really helpful if I have to adjust for a song to get right back to the level I was at before. Overall the amp is doing everything I wanted and surprising me in a lot of areas, I'll definitely get into tube rolling but it is sounding great with whatever the stock tubes were so I'll probably just enjoy that for a while.

Here's a pic (because I always enjoy seeing them) excuse the cable mess I'm kind of figuring out where to put everything first but for now I've just been listening.

IMG_0671.jpg

Here's a song that really blew me away on the Diana how the MZ3 opens up the soundstage and the layering was really impressive.

I know it's not exactly the same... But my Z40 was voiced warm. They typically use a few... Mine were RCA black plates for pre, and Mullard drivers. Sounded incredible... I wanted the top end of Telefunken. Just a sounding what the LTA can do on top end. RCA is pretty balanced... But also took a chance on Mazda... A much better RCA... Makes the TF better on the top end, and the Mullard even better on the low end. Done rolling, bought spares.

It's totally going to be to your personal preference... But like most, they are appealing to the masses. You can do better if you want something particular. I put my original set back in... And now they are actually too dark compared to what I like now. I love the warmth of Mullard and nobody compares, but the top now is nuts... Soooo much air, space, detail. Ya, I definitely love my LTA.

Sep 8, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #446 of 1,183
So you dithered on MZ3, but is this your first tube?

Yes,

I have only ever owned two HPA. A Metrum Acoustics Aurix (Class A), and the THX AAA 789 I currently use. The MZ3 is my first tube HPA. I wanted to just buy a TOTL amp and keep it as the core of my headphone system.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #447 of 1,183
I know it's not exactly the same... But my Z40 was voiced warm. They typically use a few... Mine were RCA black plates for pre, and Mullard drivers. Sounded incredible... I wanted the top end of Telefunken. Just a sounding what the LTA can do on top end. RCA is pretty balanced... But also took a chance on Mazda... A much better RCA... Makes the TF better on the top end, and the Mullard even better on the low end. Done rolling, bought spares.

It's totally going to be to your personal preference... But like most, they are appealing to the masses. You can do better if you want something particular. I put my original set back in... And now they are actually too dark compared to what I like now. I love the warmth of Mullard and nobody compares, but the top now is nuts... Soooo much air, space, detail. Ya, I definitely love my LTA.

What's the rest of your chain please?

Sep 8, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #449 of 1,183
Mercury streamer with internal drive, Pontus 2, Z40+ integrated, B&W 707 and Utopias. That was my first tube. I think you will be very suprised.
The Mercury streamer looks interesting. I may grab the V2 when it's available.

Pontus II looks nice too! Great kit.

Sep 8, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #450 of 1,183
Yes,

I have only ever owned two HPA. A Metrum Acoustics Aurix (Class A), and the THX AAA 789 I currently use. The MZ3 is my first tube HPA. I wanted to just buy a TOTL amp and keep it as the core of my headphone system.
This is also my plan- To buy a TOTL headphone amp (MZ3) and consider myself done. I know many of you feel that's not possible and there's always more gear to chase, but I'm a Head-Fi minimalist. I have two pairs of headphones (ZMF), one DAC (RME ADI2), and one tube amp that I'll likely sell when I get the MZ3 (the Bottlehead Crack).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back