microZOTL 3 by Linear Tube Audio. True High End Audio.
Aug 3, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #392 of 1,183
@jamato8 Do you find the Z10E to be an obvious upgrade over the MZ3 or just a different flavor? I’d also like to know how you rate your Quicksilver in such lofty company. I’m still smitten with my Quicksilver, but I can’t help but wonder if these LTA amps offer a clear upgrade path if I ever want to get another tube amp.

You’re the perfect person to ask since you have the two LTA amps I would be considering as well as my current amp. I appreciate your insight!
I believe the headphone amp of the MZ-3 and the Z-10i are the same specs. Not sure about the Z40, You might want to ask Nicholas at LTA but thats my understanding.

Aug 3, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #393 of 1,183
I believe the headphone amp of the MZ-3 and the Z-10i are the same specs. Not sure about the Z40, You might want to ask Nicholas at LTA but thats my understanding.
They are pretty different. To me they don’t sound the same.

Aug 13, 2022 at 12:43 AM Post #396 of 1,183
Hi all,
I lurk on headfi frequently but dont post often and then I saw this thread. Ive had my mz3 for about a year and all I can say is that I use it everyday, whether with speakers or headphones. It sounds so good it draws me in that much, its an end game for me. I want some Klipsch Cornwall IV speakers soon and will get (hopefully out soon) their new version of the zotl10 power amp, no need to mess with their sound.
My source is the Innuos Zen Mini mk3, which I was told by the distributer, leans more towards a vinyl sound, to the Denafrips Ares II. I did have Schiit Bifrost 2 in the chain and sounds just as good! Details galore and bass slam but wanted a smoother sound. For speakers I have the Klipsch R14m and ‘phones are Grado GS3000e, PS2000e, and GH2, Cheers!

Aug 20, 2022 at 10:56 PM Post #398 of 1,183
I went ham and bought a mz3 and a chord qutest dac. I am worried it will all be a little too analytical, hoping the warm setting on the qutest will give it more musicality. Haven’t tried either and impatiently waiting
Might depend on your headphones, but I haven’t found it to be too much at all. That’s my preferred lineup. I do use the warm filter on the Qutest. I was using the incisive filter until I started comparing it to R2R DACs. Very minor difference. Just the tiniest edge in the very, very top end that never bothered me before. In fact, I never noticed it before I did direct A/B comparisons.
Figuring out my preference for detail is actually what pushed me to buy the MZ3 over a more traditional tubed preamp. And then of course how can you own an MZ3 without decent headphones? And so began my newest obsession.

Aug 20, 2022 at 11:37 PM Post #399 of 1,183
Might depend on your headphones, but I haven’t found it to be too much at all. That’s my preferred lineup. I do use the warm filter on the Qutest. I was using the incisive filter until I started comparing it to R2R DACs. Very minor difference. Just the tiniest edge in the very, very top end that never bothered me before. In fact, I never noticed it before I did direct A/B comparisons.
Figuring out my preference for detail is actually what pushed me to buy the MZ3 over a more traditional tubed preamp. And then of course how can you own an MZ3 without decent headphones? And so began my newest obsession.
Yeah this obsession got out of hand fast. I got a pair of Zmf atriums and said I was happy with that… at first. I saw a review of the qutest saying it smoothed over some edm stuff so I wonder if my questyle m15 can handle the electronic stuff or I might have to pony up for another dac lol.

What headphones are you enjoying?

Aug 21, 2022 at 12:53 AM Post #400 of 1,183
What headphones are you enjoying?
My most recent acquisition is the LCD-X so it’s getting the most play lately as I get used to them. A little more detail and a different presentation than the Aeolus. Definitely not a replacement, but a complement. They might be pushing the limits of detail for me. There’s a difference between having detail available and having it forced on you. I think the LCD-X flirts with that line a little for me.

Aug 21, 2022 at 1:07 AM Post #401 of 1,183
My most recent acquisition is the LCD-X so it’s getting the most play lately as I get used to them. A little more detail and a different presentation than the Aeolus. Definitely not a replacement, but a complement. They might be pushing the limits of detail for me. There’s a difference between having detail available and having it forced on you. I think the LCD-X flirts with that line a little for me.
There is also a fine line between genuine detail and glarey etch……I do enjoy my LCD-X (2016: old-style headband) with the LTA MZ3. Cable is Norne Audio Vygarde (copper / silver interwoven), tubes are Raytheon 6SN7 s and RFT ECC81 s (foil getters).

Aug 21, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #402 of 1,183
I love my MZ3 BUT thinking of pairing down my kit and the MZ3 may be up for sale. PM me if anyone here is interested as I haven’t put up formal classified ad yet.

Aug 21, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #403 of 1,183

Perhaps audition the HiFiMan Arya.

Aug 21, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #404 of 1,183
Out of curiosity, can MZ3 owners please tell me which DAC you are using (if you're using one), and describe how happy you are with the synergy?

Thanks.

Aug 21, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #405 of 1,183
Out of curiosity, can MZ3 owners please tell me which DAC you are using (if you're using one), and describe how happy you are with the synergy?

Thanks.
I don’t own the MZ3 (yet) but have been to LTA a few times to hear it in-person. I brought my RME ADI2 DAC and it’s a perfect pairing, along with my ZMF cans. Also, huge cycling fan here. You’re not really George, are you??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back