microZOTL 3 by Linear Tube Audio. True High End Audio.
Apr 4, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #286 of 1,183
So I'm curious about a Z3. I have read quite a bit... Is it really all that? Best of SS and tubes? Is the tube part real tubey... Or middle of the road? And last... Is the Z3 a significant improvement over Z2?
I certainly think the MZ3 is all that and a bag of chips. It has effectively replaced a SS and transformer coupled tube amp in my inventory. It isn’t “real tubey” if by that you mean that warm blanket (and sometimes drawn out / slower) character of sound you get from a transformer coupled amp but it is “tubey” in that rounded / 3D sense of sonic space in the sound stage.

Apr 4, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #287 of 1,183
I certainly think the MZ3 is all that and a bag of chips. It has effectively replaced a SS and transformer coupled tube amp in my inventory. It isn’t “real tubey” if by that you mean that warm blanket (and sometimes drawn out / slower) character of sound you get from a transformer coupled amp but it is “tubey” in that rounded / 3D sense of sonic space in the sound stage.
My problem is I don't have much tube time, but looking for something different for my Utopias. My GSX is good, but I think I am looking for tubes. The Z2/Z3 really interest me... There's McIntosh, Feliks... Others... But I think I could simify and just do Z3.

Apr 4, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #288 of 1,183
My problem is I don't have much tube time, but looking for something different for my Utopias. My GSX is good, but I think I am looking for tubes. The Z2/Z3 really interest me... There's McIntosh, Feliks... Others... But I think I could simify and just do Z3.
Utopia and Z3, you won't be looking for anything more, unless you just have the itch to look. :^)

Apr 4, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #289 of 1,183
I don’t want to talk you out of an MZ3 but I came to one after owning 2 hybrid tube amps and one OFT amp and thus I had a better understanding of the pros / cons and my sound preferences.. If you have the means to try a more traditional transformer coupled tube amp, I’d advise trying that first.

Apr 4, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #290 of 1,183
I only have the Z10e headphone amplifier, which is spectacular (and also just slightly less than twice the price of the MZ3). Everything I hear with my amplifier is what I had read (for a year or two, before taking the plunge) about both the MZ2 and MZ3. I've never heard the MZ3, but I think what is spectacular about the Z10 is what would make the MZ3 preferable to the MZ2 (or the MZ2 over any other amplifier in its price range) : The background is really black. There is no question you are listening to tubes, but the sound is articulate... it's tubes, but certainly not "tub-ey". From what I've read, if your other components are great, you'd never regret spending extra for the MZ3. I'll probably never own any amplifier (other than an A/V receiver) that isn't tube based, but the MicroZotl amplifiers really do seem to give the best of both (tube and solid-state) worlds. There are many many really good headphones which would pair well with either the MZ2 or MZ3 (see if you can still demo a pair of MySpheres; I really liked them but finally decided to lean toward electrostatics), and a few headphones which require more power than either of these amplifiers have to offer - but it is unfair to berate the quality of an amplifier if you try and use headphones with it which you should know ahead of time will overly tax it.

Last time the Atlanta Audio Club had their (usually in early) May headphone meet (I guess it was 21018 or 2019), I was fortunate to attend; there are some great guys with some great gear there and next time they have it (which doesn't seem to be this year) I'll take my LTA Z10e so as to compare it with some other great amplifiers.

As for the MZ3, except for those few who were asking it to do something it just wasn't designed to do, I've not heard anyone who wasn't pretty much ecstatic about it.

Apr 4, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #291 of 1,183
Thanks a ton guys. I have a Naim Atom for my desktop. (Not HE) I have a Matrix mini pro... I got a Pontus 2/GSX. The amp is definitely better, but DACs are close. I have been focused on balanced, but for tubes it's all SE. I'm thinking of using my Atom as streaming dac, into a tube amp... Here I am.

Again, my amp is a definite improvement over matrix, and even Atom for HPs, but it is very transparent. Now that I have clean and transparent, I think some color/warth would do me good. And while I don't want "hybrid"... The Z3 really flicks my switch. I like theidea of "both".... And really the point is I want to get every dollar I spent on the Utopias. I want magic.

Apr 4, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #292 of 1,183
Thanks a ton guys. I have a Naim Atom for my desktop. (Not HE) I have a Matrix mini pro... I got a Pontus 2/GSX. The amp is definitely better, but DACs are close. I have been focused on balanced, but for tubes it's all SE. I'm thinking of using my Atom as streaming dac, into a tube amp... Here I am.

Again, my amp is a definite improvement over matrix, and even Atom for HPs, but it is very transparent. Now that I have clean and transparent, I think some color/warth would do me good. And while I don't want "hybrid"... The Z3 really flicks my switch. I like theidea of "both".... And really the point is I want to get every dollar I spent on the Utopias. I want magic.
Then I’d say go for it. I have no post purchase regrets.

Apr 4, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #295 of 1,183
The MZ3 IS an improvement over the MZ2. I've owned both.
As for the sound, you can tweak the sound any way you like it by changing tubes, but it's pretty neutral for the most part.
Keyword is you've "ownED" both = D. Soon, I will OWN both.

Apr 5, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #296 of 1,183
So I'm curious about a Z3. I have read quite a bit... Is it really all that? Best of SS and tubes? Is the tube part real tubey... Or middle of the road? And last... Is the Z3 a significant improvement over Z2?

I think it really depends on what you're going for. I've had both an MZ2 and MZ3 (both with LPS), and was able to compare them side-by-side with other amps, tube and solid state. They are definitely not "real tubey", so if you're going for ooey gooey tubes, this is not the amp you're looking for. They are extremely clean, with a super black background. The response and decay of notes is very accurate, but the reason they weren't for me was that there's a slight (and I do mean slight) softness to their presentation. Think of a drawing with super sharp lines, and then using photoshop, you take an extremely light feathering tool to these lines. That's what these amps sound like. It's not the blur tool, mind you. It's the feathering tool. The lines are still incredibly accurate, incredibly clear against the canvas, but just ever so slightly feathered. This can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on your rig and preferences. The MZ3 is a step up, to be sure, but "significant" is in the eye of the beholder. You'll notice. Blacker background and slightly better control. If I were to go back and buy one again, I'd personally find the upgrade worthwhile, but as always, YMMV.

Here's an in-depth comparison writeup I did if you want more detail: https://forum.headphones.com/t/dna-stratus-v4-vs-woo-wa5-le-gen-2-vs-lta-mz3/13625

Apr 5, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #297 of 1,183
I think it really depends on what you're going for. I've had both an MZ2 and MZ3 (both with LPS), and was able to compare them side-by-side with other amps, tube and solid state. They are definitely not "real tubey", so if you're going for ooey gooey tubes, this is not the amp you're looking for. They are extremely clean, with a super black background. The response and decay of notes is very accurate, but the reason they weren't for me was that there's a slight (and I do mean slight) softness to their presentation. Think of a drawing with super sharp lines, and then using photoshop, you take an extremely light feathering tool to these lines. That's what these amps sound like. It's not the blur tool, mind you. It's the feathering tool. The lines are still incredibly accurate, incredibly clear against the canvas, but just ever so slightly feathered. This can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on your rig and preferences. The MZ3 is a step up, to be sure, but "significant" is in the eye of the beholder. You'll notice. Blacker background and slightly better control. If I were to go back and buy one again, I'd personally find the upgrade worthwhile, but as always, YMMV.

Here's an in-depth comparison writeup I did if you want more detail: https://forum.headphones.com/t/dna-stratus-v4-vs-woo-wa5-le-gen-2-vs-lta-mz3/13625
Thanks. I have actually read your review just from the web. As usual, too much of anything is not good. I rarely find myself on the extreme end of any scale. I doubt I would ever want super extreme gooey. In the middle of tube side at some point probably. I can try different tubes... But it does seem that the Z3 is a worthy upgrade, and that it has a lot of what I am looking for.

Apr 5, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #298 of 1,183
The MZ3 does the music right and treats it like music. Many amps don't get that part right.

Apr 5, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #299 of 1,183
I currently have a Denafrips Pontus 2. It is rather large. I don't hear a "big" difference from the matrix I have. I thought about stepping down to and Ares 2 to help with Z3 and space, but my guess is I would regret that. Anyone listened to a Z3 Ares/Pontus?

I did read the whole thread. I can roll tubes and probably get it as lush as I would want. My guess is I would probably want a bit warmer than stock, but probably not a lot. I really like my GSX, but very transparent. It is part of why I got Utopias. But I think the Z3 just might get me to where I am trying to go.

Apr 5, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #300 of 1,183
I currently have a Denafrips Pontus 2. It is rather large. I don't hear a "big" difference from the matrix I have. I thought about stepping down to and Ares 2 to help with Z3 and space, but my guess is I would regret that. Anyone listened to a Z3 Ares/Pontus?

I did read the whole thread. I can roll tubes and probably get it as lush as I would want. My guess is I would probably want a bit warmer than stock, but probably not a lot. I really like my GSX, but very transparent. It is part of why I got Utopias. But I think the Z3 just might get me to where I am trying to go.
I did have Pontus2 and Ares2 with MZ2. I prefer Ares2 because it's a lusher more mid centric sound. Pontus2 never sounded good in my system as if it never fully burned in even after 3 weeks of continued use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back