microZOTL 3 by Linear Tube Audio. True High End Audio.
Apr 5, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #301 of 1,183
Any new feedback or appreciation comments on using the MZ3 with big bottles instead of the original tube type? It doesn’t seem to be popular considering the minimal feedback on it but at the same time LTA has the top cover option for big bottles so in a sense they at least must consider it a somewhat good option.

Apr 5, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #303 of 1,183
I did have Pontus2 and Ares2 with MZ2. I prefer Ares2 because it's a lusher more mid centric sound. Pontus2 never sounded good in my system as if it never fully burned in even after 3 weeks of continued use.
Well that is pretty darn interesting. On paper the Pontus should be an obvious winner... Not that it isn't good, but that for the money it's close to what I have with D/S streamer. I was thinking if Ares sound was close, maybe do that... Which again, on paper, would be silly.

Now you have me thinking... So what inputs did you use? I was going to use I2S. Right now I can just do USB to pontus and my other is network. RCA or XLR seem to make no difference.

Apr 6, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #305 of 1,183
The only reason I sold it is because I'm moving to a high power integrated (less boxes). Otherwise it's a keeper if it suits your setup.
Well, it dawned on me that I have another streamer and DAC for my HPs now. ... Which makes my Naim Atom redundant... So now I'm switching gears, and moving all of it for a Z10 integrated that will run my B&W 707s pretty much near field. I'm looking at stretching it to an ultralinear+, but I'm not sure about that. I know a few that have the Z10 here....

Apr 6, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #306 of 1,183
The only reason I sold it is because I'm moving to a high power integrated (less boxes). Otherwise it's a keeper if it suits your setup.
I know... I bought it from you...

Apr 6, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #307 of 1,183
Well that is pretty darn interesting. On paper the Pontus should be an obvious winner... Not that it isn't good, but that for the money it's close to what I have with D/S streamer. I was thinking if Ares sound was close, maybe do that... Which again, on paper, would be silly.

Now you have me thinking... So what inputs did you use? I was going to use I2S. Right now I can just do USB to pontus and my other is network. RCA or XLR seem to make no difference.
When I first received the Pontus, I plugged it in and thought to myself "ok I am putting the Ares up for sale". Pontus does many obvious things better than Ares. Wider sound stage, more detail, more air etc. etc. However, I can't stand it for long term listening. Ares, I could listen to it for hours. So, that's why I say Ares is better. I don't regret selling either though. When I had the Pontus, I had a Matrix XSPDIF specifically to provide Pontus with I2S signal. However, I don't think I2S signal was a definite upgrade. I actually preferred using Coax as it was smoother and darker which allowed for longer listening. USB and I2S sounded a bit diff but not sure which I prefer.

Apr 6, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #308 of 1,183
When I first received the Pontus, I plugged it in and thought to myself "ok I am putting the Ares up for sale". Pontus does many obvious things better than Ares. Wider sound stage, more detail, more air etc. etc. However, I can't stand it for long term listening. Ares, I could listen to it for hours. So, that's why I say Ares is better. I don't regret selling either though. When I had the Pontus, I had a Matrix XSPDIF specifically to provide Pontus with I2S signal. However, I don't think I2S signal was a definite upgrade. I actually preferred using Coax as it was smoother and darker which allowed for longer listening. USB and I2S sounded a bit diff but not sure which I prefer.
Nice, thanks. Ya, I just want to come off network and not computer. Streamer has every possible digital out so if one is better I'll try it out. For now the Pontus is staying. It should do well with a Z10. Everything else is going.

Apr 8, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #309 of 1,183
Showing off

Attachments

• LTA.jpg
    LTA.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 0
Apr 8, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #310 of 1,183
Apr 8, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #311 of 1,183
Comparisons?
MZ2 is just as good as MZ3 and is much cheaper. Save your clams and get a MZ2. IN FACT, I happen to have one or sale.

Apr 10, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #312 of 1,183
Question: Have any of you had the opportunity to compare something like the Benchmark HPA4 vs. the MZ2/3? Just curious about how pure TOTL solid state compares and if the definition is still there with the MZ? I'll likely take my DAC and ZMF cans up to Urban HiFi to see if I can test drive once again, but I'm always interested in the comparison to other great gear.

Apr 13, 2022 at 12:23 AM Post #314 of 1,183
Has anyone tried to power their MZ3 with an after market LPS? I powered the MZ2 with a HDPLEX300 and would like to do the same with the MZ3. I asked LTA about this and they replied:

To use the MZ3 with a different external power supply, you'd need to cut out the protection transistor in the amp. We therefore do not recommend doing this.

On the MZ3s with 4 pin cables, there is: 12V, 5V, GND (shared), and a "sense" wire for the protection circuit. On the units with 5 pin cables, it's 12V, 12V GND, 5V, 5V GND, and Sense.

If the sense line isn't receiving the correct voltage, the amp will stay muted.

Has anyone tried to do this? Not sure whether I want to cut the protection transistor. Is this reversible?

BTW, I am not sure the HDPLEX300 sounds better than LPS+. But I do like to keep my area minimal in terms of box count.

Apr 13, 2022 at 12:29 AM Post #315 of 1,183
Has anyone tried to power their MZ3 with an after market LPS? I powered the MZ2 with a HDPLEX300 and would like to do the same with the MZ3.
??? I was thinking of whether the LTA p/s/u could be used with non-LTA audio equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back