Microsoft giving away Vista Ultimate w/ a catch
Dec 12, 2007 at 12:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

RYCeT

Headphoneus Supremus
Quoted from Slashdot

Quote:

"In case you haven't heard, Microsoft is giving away copies of Windows Vista Ultimate (32-bit or 64-bit DVD), Microsoft Office Ultimate 2007, Microsoft Money Plus Premium, Microsoft Student with Encarta Premium 2008, or Microsoft Streets and Trips 2008 — you can choose any one. The caveat is that you have to let them monitor your use of the program."

Click here for the promotion

Dec 12, 2007 at 2:25 PM Post #3 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperNothing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the caveat is you actually have to use Vista which is bad enough without them monitoring it.

You beat me to it.
smily_headphones1.gif

No thanks. Thus far I see no reason to upgrade.

GAD

Dec 12, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #4 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No thanks. Thus far I see no reason to upgrade.

Plenty of reasons to upgrade. Course that has nothing to do with Vista.
wink.gif

Dec 12, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #7 of 28
I don't see where you sign up for the free software. I filled out the survey, but it never let me do anything but download the spyware

Dec 12, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #10 of 28
How many of the anti-Vista people have used it for more than a few days? I was pretty satisfied with XP, but when I had to reinstall the OS (not XP's fault, my own), I choose to install Vista as it's free for students here in Holland.

Well, I'm not going back to XP. Everything works fine and just as quick (I must say that I spent an hour or so disabling useless services before it ran quickly) as XP, And that's on a very mediocre pc (Pentium M 1.5 GHz, 768mb ram).

Dec 12, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #11 of 28
I think Microsoft is going to be disappointed that the vast majority of Vista users are not doing any sort of advanced computational functions, but just using Internet Explorer to surf for **** and buy stuff at Amazon.com

Dec 12, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #12 of 28
I'm using Vista on both my home computers and I think it's fine, except for UAC which is way to intrusive if you mess around a lot with settings and software. There is the occasional bug but I didn't run into anything major yet. I think it's better than XP when it was introduced. When I started using that I remember it having more bugs than Vista.

I must say I find all this Microsoft bashing a bit childish sometimes.

Dec 12, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Ninja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Microsoft is going to be disappointed that the vast majority of Vista users are not doing any sort of advanced computational functions, but just using Internet Explorer to surf for **** and buy stuff at Amazon.com

Have you been spying on me???
smily_headphones1.gif
Don't forget Ebay and of course, HeadFi!

Dec 12, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Ninja /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Why do you think Vista users aren't doing advanced computational functions
confused.gif
Most the people I know who've switched to Vista 64 are programers that need the extra memory for scientific simulations: ones that cause XP to conk out. I switched to Vista Ultimate on my main workstation so that I could run XSI and Maya in 64bit.

As for the OS itself....I haven't had many issues with too many legacy devices or anything. Just an occasional minor incompatibility with 32 bit programs. To be expected since we're still transitioning to 64bit.

Dec 12, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How many of the anti-Vista people have used it for more than a few days?

My Missus bought a Notebook PC with Vista on it, no choice, and persevered with it for several weeks, then she just got so fed up with it that she formatted the hard drive and installed XP and even the bother of getting a bucketload of new drivers and several hours of reconfiguring stuff didnt deter her. She has never looked back.

From what I have heard Vista uptake has been disappointing and several corporate customers want to go back to XP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back