Micro DAC Reviews?
Jul 19, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #31 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Sneis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been comparing the 06 versus 07 regular. So far they both have very similar signatures; the 07 sounds a bit more detailed with better separation of notes. Bass is also cleaner/tigher to my ears with the 07. I almost want to say I prefer the mids and treble of the 06 for female vocals.

Overall they are both great DACs you won't be displeased with either.
Sorry I'm not a pro-status reviewer but I hope this helps a little bit!

I'm surprised there is an audible difference between them, but I want to re-assure (as you did) the people who haven't heard an 06 that there is plenty of detail, separation of notes and clean tight bass in the 06 - if the 07 has more of that, well then it is just icing on the cake and makes an excellent product even better.

Jul 20, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #32 of 40
there is a noticeable difference between the 06' and Ultra Micro. not being any better at this and relying on memory at that I cannot say for sure just how big of a difference.

what I am thinking I am hearing is that it is a wee bit smoother and warmer( does this add to being more liquid? ) in addition to what Mr. Sneis has to say. not sure but sustain seems a bit longer in some instruments in parts of songs I notice it in.

I'm just needing more music to enjoy it with..

Jul 31, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #34 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this dac great using USB? compared to others in the price range. Wonder how much of an upgrade this is vs hotaudios usb dacs

I could not really tell any repeatable difference between the 2006 Micro DAC via and Headamp Pico via USB, but I thought the Micro DAC via optical was slightly better than either via USB. I wrote about that in my USB DAC Amp review.

EDIT: The above comparison was done using portable amps. Feeding each of them into a full size desktop amps, the Micro DAC via USB is not quite as micro-detailed or smooth as the Pico, but it is pretty darn close using optical. The Pico really likes driving amps more than driving headphones in many cases.

Jul 31, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #35 of 40
Is this dac warm and laid back like how marantz cd players are supposed to sound? I havent heard either the microdac or any of the current marantz cd players and would like to know if using the microdac on a basic pioneer dvd player would step up the sound to a 300 500 or 800 dollar cd player price level in sound.

Ive heard that getting a 500 dollar dac usually is comparable in sound to using a 1500 dollar cd player in sound quality. True???

Aug 1, 2008 at 7:03 AM Post #36 of 40
Quote:

Is this dac warm and laid back like how marantz cd players are supposed to sound? I havent heard either the microdac or any of the current marantz cd players and would like to know if using the microdac on a basic pioneer dvd player would step up the sound to a 300 500 or 800 dollar cd player price level in sound.

Ive heard that getting a 500 dollar dac usually is comparable in sound to using a 1500 dollar cd player in sound quality. True???

The Micro DAC is certainly warmer and fuller sounding (and more enjoyable) than my old iBasso D1 (my first DAC) or my spare Super Pro DAC 707. The Micro DAC was what replaced the D1, which I thought could sound a little thin via the line out with the wrong amp. The D1 worked well enough for me when I put AD797 in the amp section and used the D1 as a preamp, feeding the headphone out into my full size amp; but with the HR Micro DAC I don't have to double amplify the signal to get good timbre and tone now.

The Micro DAC with my Sony portable CD players like D-EJ2000, D-NE20 and D-E999 can sound like a full size $500-800 CD Player when feeding a full size amp. Using the Micro DAC with a really cheap CD player sounds as good or better than my Marantz CD5001, depending on the quality of the transport - and I really do like the CD5001 as great bargain CDP that sounds like a more costly CDP. So that is saying a lot. As a matter of fact I was perfectly happy running the CD5001 into my Dark Voice 336i via the analog out for quite a while. The CD5001 analog out is is actually an upgrade over the iBasso D1 DAC line out, and while not quite as good as the Micro DAC or Apogee mini-DAC it stands up well against them.

I was only looking for a better DAC because everyone else told me that I needed one. I was sooo close to buying either the Ultra Micro DAC or a Cambridge Audio 840c when I came across Iron_Dreamer selling his Apogee with Sigma 11 PSU. After hearing what a good DAC can do, I replaced the iBasso D1 portable with the Headroom portable Micro DAC and never looked back. The Micro DAC is still capable of stepping in for the Apogee for a while, should anything happen to it that needs repair - it's that good.

The step up from the iBasso D1 to the Micro DAC is about the same as the step up from the Micro DAC to the Apogee (usb or optical). But we're talking about subtle refinements that bring further resolution and transparency to the music, depending on the quality of your program material or transport. And we're comparing a $250 DAC to a $399 DAC to a $1195 DAC.

The funny thing is, I have said the Micro DAC USB was extremely close (if not identical) to the Pico USB in my tests, and the Micro DAC optical was another 5% improvement over the Pico - yet Iron_Dreamer replaced the Apogee he sold me with a Pico because he only needed USB and thought the Pico was better at USB. I respectfully disagree, but if he says the Pico is better as a USB DAC/pre-amp than the Apogee, and I say the Micro DAC is as good as the Pico as a USB DAC, then you see just how close they really are.

Aug 1, 2008 at 9:49 AM Post #37 of 40
plus i can use any dvd player or pc with it. I'm sold. next purchase is a micro dac
biggrin.gif

Aug 4, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #38 of 40
Quote:

plus i can use any dvd player or pc with it. I'm sold. next purchase is a micro dac
biggrin.gif

If I were you, I will really skip the micro DAC and go straight to the Ultra Micro Dac. The difference is that much. But with Headroom, you don't much to guess, just buy both of them and compare. Then return the one you don't like in 30 days and it's done. I have the Ultra micro Dac and it's been a real pleasure to have it, very, very clean sounding no matter what you throw at it.

Jan 15, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #39 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I were you, I will really skip the micro DAC and go straight to the Ultra Micro Dac. The difference is that much. But with Headroom, you don't much to guess, just buy both of them and compare. Then return the one you don't like in 30 days and it's done. I have the Ultra micro Dac and it's been a real pleasure to have it, very, very clean sounding no matter what you throw at it.

Which amp are you using with the Ultra Micro DAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back