Micro DAC Reviews?
Feb 4, 2008 at 8:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Joelc87

100+ Head-Fier
I have yet to see any sort of in depth review of the new 2007 Micro DAC. Any details or opinions on sound signature would be great. Ex. Does it sound warm, bright, spacious, condensed? Also does it sound similar to any other popular products?

Feb 5, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #2 of 40
Hello Joelc87,

We do currently have several brand-new HeadRoom Micro DACs in the hands of various outside reviewers so i would expect some writing on those devices to appear soon
confused.gif

Imho, our new Micro DAC series maintains the typical HeadRoom sonic signature which is a fairly warm, smooth tonality with excellent musical detail resolution/clarity and a lovely soundstage 'openness' across the entire frequency range... The upsampling Ultra Micro DAC never fails to knock me out .... but, heck, that's just me!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 5, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #3 of 40
Ok I already ordered one I was just curious to see how it compared to other DAC's in general I like the HeadRoom sound signature a lot. Being a music minor in college and stuff makes me like the more musical less analytical sound of things (probably why i have SE530s instead of Triple.fis)

Feb 17, 2008 at 10:48 AM Post #4 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by JorgeC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The upsampling Ultra Micro DAC never fails to knock me out .... but, heck, that's just me!
smily_headphones1.gif

Not JUST you, Jorge. I bought one toward the end of November 2007, with the Desktop PS. It locks on ALL of the digital audio sources/samples that I use (even the oddball ones), and the analog audio produced from them has never sounded nearly as good as from the Ultra Micro DAC. The liquidity, openness and depth of the audio it produces never fail to put an irrepressible grin on my face. I agree with you, Jorge, it's one knock out of a DAC!!!

Feb 17, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #6 of 40
Not a very good reviewer, but here goes my take. This is not to be considered an all out review, but rather my impressions.

I have listened to the following DAC sources (all from computer using foobar bit perfect FLAC or ALAC files) and using the various cans listed below, as well as my Swan M200 desk speakers:

1) XFi
2) Emu 1212m
3) HR TBH 2007
4) Firestone Spitfire with PSU

5) HR Desktop AMP/DAC (with basic Desktop innards)

6) Lavry Black DA10
7) HR UltraMicro DAC

I have grouped them for several reasons. I found the first group 1-4 to be all very similar, although I got some mild improvement with the spitfire with opamp rolling. These were all pleasant sounding, and I could be happy with any (if I did not read this forum that is
wink.gif

The Desktop did have improved, more clear sound than the first 4, and I was very happy with this unit for about a year. My son is head over heals for this as his pre-amp currently.

I got the Lavry after reading a ton here, and it is a great unit also. Even with the Raptor and tube rolling, I still found it a bit too dry for my taste. Have not hear the Benchmark, and if it even more analytical than the Lavry, then I know I wont want one. The Lavry is now doing GREAT with my home speaker based system. The XLR outs, which required the special interconnects before, work great with my new amp, and I have computer and CD/DVD source running thru the Lavry via the real balanced connection.

I suppose I can sometimes be at fault of running with the FOTM crowd. I did order an UltraMicroAMP early on, and have fallen head over heels for it in my office computer based headphone system. It provided that little bit of extra warmth my system needed, without having to go to really mushy tubes in the Raptor.

Sound is sweet and clear, and just right for my listening preferences. As you will not here, I am only providing feedback on what I want to hear, and trying to translate that into some terms you can use for your decision.

One other positive note, this think is small, quiet, and has all the connectivity one could want. It is really doing well in my new Mac based system running off the USB, no drivers, no headaches. I put a Y mini stereo connector to the line out plug and run both my Raptor with a Zu Pivot cable, and some generic cable to the powered desk speakers.

Excitedly, my favorite DAC today. (Hell I read HeadFi, you know that wont last)

Feb 17, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #8 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Qosmio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Bones13 for the good review,I using macbookpro too any idea if it use spdif from macbookpro to micro dac is it possible?and which 1 is the best sounding using USB or with spdif?

Yes, you can, and should use the spdif output in preference over the USB output if and when possible.

Feb 18, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #10 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by n4k33n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it preferable to use coax over spdif? I usually use spdif

No difference here although both are preferable over USb.

Feb 18, 2008 at 12:00 PM Post #12 of 40
It's jitter that's the problem here and if this 'box' that you have, is a simple converter then yes it would tag along for the ride.

Feb 18, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #15 of 40
Right, as plaidplatypus mentioned, it would be very helpful for you to understand what all three of those terms mean. That wiki link gets pretty heavy into techie details so here's the cliff notes:

S/PDIF ~ Sony/Phillips Digital Interconnect Format. SPDIF is a digital transmission standard and is by far and away the most common type you will see in digital audio both consumer hi-fi and pro with ADAT Lightpipe being a distant second in my experience and those are only for multitrack equipment. So if you see digital I/O capability on a device, you can pretty much bet that it will be an SPDIF connection.

SPDIF connections come in two types, Coax and TOSLINK.

- Coax is electrical so it is a wire cable terminated with metal connectors. Usually RCA plugs but they can also be 3.5 mm miniplugs etc.

- TOSLINK is optical so it's a fiber optic cable. Simple as that.

People throw these terms around with abandon, most likely because SPDIF really is the only common digital connection format. If I'm describing my Soundblaster's coax out, you could pretty much be sure it's an SPDIF connection. You might run into lightpipe inputs when you into the pro-audio stuff like Apogee, RME and some of the higher end E-MU interfaces. E-MU 1212m's have them I think...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back